E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > How well have you all made out in the winter with no block heater?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-19-2018, 10:33 PM   #1
Sargentmyself
New Member
Canada
0
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: e92 335i xdrive
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Alberta

iTrader: (0)

How well have you all made out in the winter with no block heater?

I recently bought an 08 335xi and the idea of not having a block heater kind of concerns me, especially working 11hr night shifts in Edmonton over the winter.

Should I consider getting an oil pan heater on Amazon or something to install before it starts getting too cold or is it unnecessary?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 06:20 PM   #2
lnxguy
Captain
147
Rep
846
Posts

Drives: 2009 335D
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Barrie

iTrader: (1)

If you've got somewhere to plug it in then I'd run a coolant heater instead of an oilpan heater. Zerostart most likely makes a unit you can squeeze in somewhere. Does a much better job as well.
__________________
'09 335D
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 09:28 PM   #3
fredcase
Lieutenant
Canada
128
Rep
565
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i xdrive sedan
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: edmonton ab

iTrader: (1)

Also in Edmonton. Never had a problem. The battery in the trunk helps shelter it a bit. Let us know if you find a block heater.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 07:13 AM   #4
bimmergixxer
Railside Performance
bimmergixxer's Avatar
Canada
23
Rep
238
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 R8 V10
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Railside Performance

iTrader: (7)

Had 3 used bimmers in 15 years and they have always started in the Ontario winter, no matter how cold or how long it was left outside.


Railside Performance
__________________
E92 M3 Manual
R8 V10 Manual
Ducati Streetfighter 1098
Ducati Monster 796
Railside Performance
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 10:55 PM   #5
GORDON.M3
Lieutenant Colonel
GORDON.M3's Avatar
Canada
430
Rep
1,527
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: LAX/YYZ/HKG

iTrader: (7)

I've driven every BMW I've owned in the winter.
None of them had issues starting EVER. Even my 135i which I thought had a faulty HPFP.
My M3 oil analysis came back with flying colors (no additional metal wear). I've been using Ceratec in the engine.
-35 degrees, started the engine, idle for 3-4 mins before driving and you'll be fine. Initially I thought I might need a block heater, no need.
__________________
DINAN | EVOSPORT | VAC | ARP | RD SPORT | NEEZ | EIBACH
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 07:11 PM   #6
ViperZ
New Member
0
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: 2010 335ix M-Sport / 06 E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Saskatoon

iTrader: (0)

Good to know, I just finished installing an on-board battery charger, just to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 08:30 AM   #7
bimmergixxer
Railside Performance
bimmergixxer's Avatar
Canada
23
Rep
238
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 R8 V10
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Railside Performance

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
I've driven every BMW I've owned in the winter.
None of them had issues starting EVER. Even my 135i which I thought had a faulty HPFP.
My M3 oil analysis came back with flying colors (no additional metal wear). I've been using Ceratec in the engine.
-35 degrees, started the engine, idle for 3-4 mins before driving and you'll be fine. Initially I thought I might need a block heater, no need.
Good point. I have also been running 0-40 syntec only in the winter since the stock 10-60 is too thick for cold starts when left outside.
__________________
E92 M3 Manual
R8 V10 Manual
Ducati Streetfighter 1098
Ducati Monster 796
Railside Performance
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 09:50 AM   #8
summilux
Private First Class
Canada
68
Rep
156
Posts

Drives: F80 MG & 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

I have a 328i that survived 12 Ottawa winters parked outside with no block heater or trickle chrager. Below -20 it takes a few seconds to fire up but otherwise it's all good. In that time I've replaced one battery and one starter. 0W40 oil.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 01:15 AM   #9
uncle ben
Private First Class
uncle ben's Avatar
Canada
4
Rep
117
Posts

Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edmonton

iTrader: (0)

Had a 2006 330i. Was at a friends house in Edmonton, -30, car wouldn’t start. Call bmw roadside assistance. They are just ama but called from a different number. They ask if the car is plugged in. I say “no”. They say their policy is they won’t boost cars that aren’t plugged in. Had to wait till the next day when it warmed up, mid day. -20, car starts fine.

My advice. Make sure your battery is new-newish, fully charged. Kept topped up on trickle charger whenever possible. Most likely you will be fine. But on those stupid cold -35/-40 days. If your car isn’t in a garage, your battery is gonna freeze and you are gonna be SOL.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 06:09 AM   #10
Nick.B
Private
Canada
11
Rep
92
Posts

Drives: 335i, 330i, 330i, 6MT sport
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
If the starter is weak or on it's way out, it could have a hard time. I didn't realize the starter on mine was kinda slow until we got the wifes car and it cranked a lot quicker. It was just barely turning over and getting started at -10 at one point. New battery had no effect. New starter, and it's turning over like the others.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 06:22 AM   #11
TheMidnightNarwhal
Lieutenant Colonel
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
363
Rep
1,853
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargentmyself View Post
I recently bought an 08 335xi and the idea of not having a block heater kind of concerns me, especially working 11hr night shifts in Edmonton over the winter.

Should I consider getting an oil pan heater on Amazon or something to install before it starts getting too cold or is it unnecessary?
If you're running 0W-X oil I don't see any point in a oil pan heater.

Only problem you will face IMO is the car will be cold for your comfort.

I would just let the car run between 30s to 1 minute depending on how cold it is.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 06:23 AM   #12
TheMidnightNarwhal
Lieutenant Colonel
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
363
Rep
1,853
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
I've driven every BMW I've owned in the winter.
None of them had issues starting EVER. Even my 135i which I thought had a faulty HPFP.
My M3 oil analysis came back with flying colors (no additional metal wear). I've been using Ceratec in the engine.
-35 degrees, started the engine, idle for 3-4 mins before driving and you'll be fine. Initially I thought I might need a block heater, no need.
And you run 10w-60 all year or another oil?

When I was shopping for the M3 I was cringing a bit thinking of using it in the winter with that oil.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 11:05 AM   #13
GORDON.M3
Lieutenant Colonel
GORDON.M3's Avatar
Canada
430
Rep
1,527
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: LAX/YYZ/HKG

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
And you run 10w-60 all year or another oil?

When I was shopping for the M3 I was cringing a bit thinking of using it in the winter with that oil.
Yup 10w60 all year round.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1504102
__________________
DINAN | EVOSPORT | VAC | ARP | RD SPORT | NEEZ | EIBACH
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 11:40 AM   #14
TheMidnightNarwhal
Lieutenant Colonel
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
363
Rep
1,853
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
Ah yes I remember reading your post while I was still shopping for M3s.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 11:42 AM   #15
GORDON.M3
Lieutenant Colonel
GORDON.M3's Avatar
Canada
430
Rep
1,527
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: LAX/YYZ/HKG

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Ah yes I remember reading your post while I was still shopping for M3s.
you should have bought the M3...
__________________
DINAN | EVOSPORT | VAC | ARP | RD SPORT | NEEZ | EIBACH
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 11:50 AM   #16
TheMidnightNarwhal
Lieutenant Colonel
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
363
Rep
1,853
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
you should have bought the M3...
Haha I can't say I'm not happy with my 335is. Altough I did never test drove the M3. And the 335is works more as a DD than the M3 I think.

I would like to get a M4 next though in maybe 5 years. Even though they are not NA V8s, just for that M factor.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 08:09 PM   #17
GORDON.M3
Lieutenant Colonel
GORDON.M3's Avatar
Canada
430
Rep
1,527
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: LAX/YYZ/HKG

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Haha I can't say I'm not happy with my 335is. Altough I did never test drove the M3. And the 335is works more as a DD than the M3 I think.

I would like to get a M4 next though in maybe 5 years. Even though they are not NA V8s, just for that M factor.
The NA v8 is an engine not to miss out on, even though it has its fair share of problems, its one of the best cars I've ever driven.
There is something special about that motor paired with the e9x chassis. You can see by how many people get the M4 and just go back to the E92 with the Competition Package. It's not the same...

335is is great but ///M cars truly have a soul that non-M cars can never replicate.
__________________
DINAN | EVOSPORT | VAC | ARP | RD SPORT | NEEZ | EIBACH
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 01:24 PM   #18
ViperZ
New Member
0
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: 2010 335ix M-Sport / 06 E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Saskatoon

iTrader: (0)

[quote=GORDON.M3;23923285]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post

335is is great but ///M cars truly have a soul that non-M cars can never replicate.
While I don't disagree with this, it needs to be said replication shouldn't be the end game. I enjoy my M3 as well as my 335ix equally. They each have a soul and character of their own that can't be replicated through each other.

I do notice my 0-40 does take a long time for the temp gauge to move in the mornings now. I'm almost at work 8kms before the temp gauge starts to move form 70C

Cold starting will be interesting this winter 😁
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 08:58 PM   #19
wunderbar911
Enlisted Member
wunderbar911's Avatar
Canada
4
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 328xi coupe (space grey)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

I've had mine for 8 years in Ottawa winter with no problem and just recently got a new battery last year. Having said that, how long do the starters typically last? I'm wondering when and if my starter will start to give issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 10:38 AM   #20
TheMidnightNarwhal
Lieutenant Colonel
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
363
Rep
1,853
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
The NA v8 is an engine not to miss out on, even though it has its fair share of problems, its one of the best cars I've ever driven.
There is something special about that motor paired with the e9x chassis. You can see by how many people get the M4 and just go back to the E92 with the Competition Package. It's not the same...

335is is great but ///M cars truly have a soul that non-M cars can never replicate.
We'll see once I get the M. The M2 is also an interesting car.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 10:39 AM   #21
TheMidnightNarwhal
Lieutenant Colonel
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
363
Rep
1,853
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

[quote=ViperZ;23936577]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post

While I don't disagree with this, it needs to be said replication shouldn't be the end game. I enjoy my M3 as well as my 335ix equally. They each have a soul and character of their own that can't be replicated through each other.

I do notice my 0-40 does take a long time for the temp gauge to move in the mornings now. I'm almost at work 8kms before the temp gauge starts to move form 70C

Cold starting will be interesting this winter 😁
Hey I was wondering this to. I run 0w-40 Castrol Edge LL01 all year and was wondering in winter it takes long time to hit 100c.

I'm not sure if I should run 0W-30. 30 sounds thin though for a performance car?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST