E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: 335i N54 Front CrankShaft Seal Replacement

04-06-2019, 09:05 PM   #67
mr_malvo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtfast View Post
Will the crank seal removal tool also work on the rear seal? I will be getting a used motor at the end of next week so I want to do as much as I can before I drop it in my car.
I'm not sure. KTC tools does sell a tool kit for the n54 rear seal. Maybe comparing the two one would know.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 09:53 AM   #68
hoda022290
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

I'm interested in renting this if its still available. Please contact me at hoda022290 at gmail
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 08:17 PM   #69
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtfast View Post
Will the crank seal removal tool also work on the rear seal? I will be getting a used motor at the end of next week so I want to do as much as I can before I drop it in my car.
No. They are different size tools. I have the tool kit with both the front & rear main seal tools.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 10:13 PM   #70
hoda022290
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
No. They are different size tools. I have the tool kit with both the front & rear main seal tools.
Please let me know if you are still renting/loaning them. Just ordered the parts and they should be coming this week. Hoda022290 at gmail
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 05:28 AM   #71
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoda022290 View Post
Quote:
Please let me know if you are still renting/loaning them. Just ordered the parts and they should be coming this week. Hoda022290 at gmail
I don't rent my tools out. Nothing personal.

Here is a site that does.

https://m.eeuroparts.com/Parts/14023...55-110370RENT/
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 01:37 PM   #72
hoda022290
Rep

Quote:
I don't rent my tools out. Nothing personal.

Here is a site that does.

https://m.eeuroparts.com/Parts/14023...55-110370RENT/
No problem. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 08:01 AM   #73
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
A must for this DIY

so, I learned a little something this weekend. You can run the car with out the harmonic balancer on (no belt), as long as you have a least a 30v battery charger/ maintainer. A 60v would be ideal.

I did just that. It did this to see exactly where the leak was coming from in the front crank shaft seal. Low and behold it was coming from inside the seal. The outside & especially where the key holes are on the seal were perfect.

So, I couldn't remember if I oiled the crank or not the last time I did this seal. I made sure that I lightly oiled the crank with a Q-tip several times, and installed the new seal. You MUST do this or the seal might buckle on the inside when you are pushing it in. Putting a rubber seal in Dry, in that tight of an area, is a bad idea and was probably my mistake.

I put a bead of Ultra Grey in the key slots and around the entire seal and let it set up for maybe 15 min. I then used the tool to slowly push the seal in. I took the tool off the crank and then put a good bead of ultra grey around the entire seal like I was caulking a window or door. I even used the little blue caulking tool you can get at HD or Lowe's, so you can get a perfect seal and look all the way around. The key with a product like Ultra Grey is that it's Engineered specifically for car parts that vibrate (cranks). You also, MUST wait 24 hours before you start the car up after you have the new seal in.

Last, I ran the engine like before without any belt on to see if it would leak. No leaks!!!!!! I put her back together and then ran it again for a good 20 min or so and made sure the oil temp hit 200 degrees. No leaks !!!!!
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2019, 08:25 PM   #74
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan

Quote:
so, I learned a little something this weekend. You can run the car with out the harmonic balancer on (no belt), as long as you have a least a 30v battery charger/ maintainer. A 60v would be ideal.

I did just that. It did this to see exactly where the leak was coming from in the front crank shaft seal. Low and behold it was coming from inside the seal. The outside & especially where the key holes are on the seal were perfect.

So, I couldn't remember if I oiled the crank or not the last time I did this seal. I made sure that I lightly oiled the crank with a Q-tip several times, and installed the new seal. You MUST do this or the seal might buckle on the inside when you are pushing it in. Putting a rubber seal in Dry, in that tight of an area, is a bad idea and was probably my mistake.

I put a bead of Ultra Grey in the key slots and around the entire seal and let it set up for maybe 15 min. I then used the tool to slowly push the seal in. I took the tool off the crank and then put a good bead of ultra grey around the entire seal like I was caulking a window or door. I even used the little blue caulking tool you can get at HD or Lowe's, so you can get a perfect seal and look all the way around. The key with a product like Ultra Grey is that it's Engineered specifically for car parts that vibrate (cranks). You also, MUST wait 24 hours before you start the car up after you have the new seal in.

Last, I ran the engine like before without any belt on to see if it would leak. No leaks!!!!!! I put her back together and then ran it again for a good 20 min or so and made sure the oil temp hit 200 degrees. No leaks !!!!!
how is the grey seal holding up? i dont feel like paying 50$ for the bmw seal....
2007 335XI SEDAN // JB4 G5 // BMS METH KIT // VRSF DOWNPIPES // AFE DCI // ER CP W/ TIAL BOV // MMP SILICONE INLETS // XHP STAGE 3 AT FLASH // TREBILA BEF // BMS OCC // VRSF EXHAUST // FUEL-IT STAGE 2 LPFP // VRSF FMIC // PRECISION RACEWORKS IGNITION SYSTEM // CATUNED COILOVERS // CIC AND COMBOX RETROFIT //
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 05:42 AM   #75
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac0908 View Post
Quote:

how is the grey seal holding up? i dont feel like paying 50$ for the bmw seal....
No issues. Works great!!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 07:37 PM   #76
Christian09e90
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335xi

Garage List
2009 Bmw 335xi  [0.00]
This post was the best information I found on replacing my crankshaft seal thank you, however I did a big screw up and ended up pressing the metal seal back up inside by accident. The rubber layer came off and I got distracted didn’t pull the metal part out and now it’s up in there. How screwed am I?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 04:08 PM   #77
mr_malvo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian09e90 View Post
This post was the best information I found on replacing my crankshaft seal thank you, however I did a big screw up and ended up pressing the metal seal back up inside by accident. The rubber layer came off and I got distracted didn’t pull the metal part out and now it’s up in there. How screwed am I?
If the metal piece fell into the cavity you can easily remove it if you remove the oil pan - which is not an easy task. You may also try to fish it out but, certainly don't leave it in there. It could get jammed in your chain. If the metal part is just stuck against the engine block try to buckle it to get it out. I'm assuming you have not installed a new seal.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 09:21 PM   #78
ajsmithvmi
Professional Hack
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Are you still renting out this tool?
MCS 1WNR Dampers | Ground Control Camber Plates | E90 M3 front control arms| E90 M3 front tension arm w/ Turner monoball bearings | E90 M3 Steering rack conversion | SPL Adjustable Outer Tie Rod Ends | M3 Rear Camber Arms | SPL Adjustable Rear Toe Arms | M3 Front Caliper Conversion | 275/35/18 Toyo RA1s | 18x9.5ET22 Apex EC-7’s | mFactory LSD | AIM EVO4S with GS Dash | New for 2020: LS1 Swap!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 12:04 AM   #79
ffuen01@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

Hello mr_malvo, thank you for the great information and very detailed you provided. I was wondering if you would lend out your KTC Tools - Seal Puller and Pusher? You can message me at ffuen01@gmail.com
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 03:55 PM   #80
JonathanC
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 330i se pre lci

Thanks everyone. Just completed this on my n52, hopefully that puts the serpentine belt saga behind me.

My car had the newer style seal which meant the removal tool didn't work. I attacked the seal carefully with a screwdriver from below, tapping the screwdriver with a mallet just under the radiator. Once I'd made a big enough gap I levered it from the block side and it eventually slipped half way out. I then levered it from the pulley side to get it all out. No need to butcher it from above or the sides, one big dent in the metal is all you need.

My Nielsen fitting tool would not accommodate the plastic sleeve with the bolts in place. The bolts stood too far proud of the tool. I trimmed the plastic sleeve with tin snips. I took off more than I needed making it fiddly to fit the seal, but I'm reasonably confident I got it. The plastic seal actually goes over the end of the pulley which is clever.

I used permatex ultra gray rather than the expensive stuff. Will report back in a few thousand miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 11:41 PM   #81
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93, '12 E82, '13 E93 M3

1. Thank you for this thread. Pretty much matches the Bentley Manual.

2. Thank you JPuehl for loaning me the tool.

3. My loctite gasket maker came with no plunger. Was scratching my head for a while. Got one from some horse syringes we have that happened to fit.
I found it frustratingly hard to get any flow rate from the specified tip. I did jam it in the place where the grooves were (and I lined it up correctly) but it was so tight I am not sure I got anything in there very far.

4. I switched to a larger tip to slather the gasket maker on the front of the seal and around the edges.

5. We'll see what happens when I start it up tomorrow...as soon as I figure out how to fit a stock fan onto a CSF Radiator (separate project I was doing in parallel)...

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 10:35 AM   #82
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
1. Thank you for this thread. Pretty much matches the Bentley Manual.

2. Thank you JPuehl for loaning me the tool.

3. My loctite gasket maker came with no plunger. Was scratching my head for a while. Got one from some horse syringes we have that happened to fit.
I found it frustratingly hard to get any flow rate from the specified tip. I did jam it in the place where the grooves were (and I lined it up correctly) but it was so tight I am not sure I got anything in there very far.

4. I switched to a larger tip to slather the gasket maker on the front of the seal and around the edges.

5. We'll see what happens when I start it up tomorrow...as soon as I figure out how to fit a stock fan onto a CSF Radiator (separate project I was doing in parallel)...
I had the same experience with the BMW sealant. That's exactly why I jumped ship and went to Ultra Grey. Just run a bead in the key holes on the seal, and another bead around the outside of the seal and let it sit there for 10-15 min prior to slowly installing the seal.

MAKE SURE you lightly oil the crank shaft with motor oil prior to installing the seal. THIS IS A MUST.
Appreciate 1
AndyW650.00
      05-02-2020, 06:19 PM   #83
ThorN52
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i 2006

Mr Malvo, excellent writing. I know this is an old post, but unfortunately the ghost of the shredded belt is still haunting bimmers to this day! I am in need to borrow/rent the crank seal tool to exorcise the demon. if you still have it please contact me at: ray at compworld dot us

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 11:36 AM   #84
MadisonF
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i Coupe S

Special Tool for Rent

I tried doing this repair without the tool. Seal would not budge. Purchased the tool (wicked expensive for one time use) and will retry the repair today.

Message me if you're interested in renting/buying the tool.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 09:27 AM   #85
WaldoZ
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

Thanks!

Hi, im going through this just right now, i have oil pan out, got out all the belt pieces and now is time to put back the crank seal, this helps a lot, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 01:11 PM   #86
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonF View Post
I tried doing this repair without the tool. Seal would not budge. Purchased the tool (wicked expensive for one time use) and will retry the repair today.

Message me if you're interested in renting/buying the tool.
Only way to do it without tools (either bought or custom made) is with engine out
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 09:32 PM   #87
Tritan84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Same thing happened to my f10 😩. Is anyone lending out the Crank Seal tool kit? It would be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 10:40 AM   #88
MadisonF
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i Coupe S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritan84 View Post
Same thing happened to my f10 😩. Is anyone lending out the Crank Seal tool kit? It would be greatly appreciated
Sorry to hear that. I am renting it and will message you with the details.
Appreciate 0