E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Loud "clunk" sound and car rocking

05-12-2019, 02:12 AM   #1
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

I'm getting this loud "clunk" sound when reversing and cranking the wheel, it feels like its coming from front middle left of the car. I'm also getting the clunk when cranking the wheel to make a u-turn so I know it's not the brakes shifting as I have heard. Already replaced the front control arms. Also noticed that the car rocks a bit when parking then release the brake, level ground.

Could it be bushings, subframes or differential?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 03:20 AM   #2
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

(Deleted)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 04:13 AM   #3
s_napster
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport 2013 Alpine white

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky dj View Post
I'm getting this loud "clunk" sound when reversing and cranking the wheel, it feels like its coming from front middle left of the car. I'm also getting the clunk when cranking the wheel to make a u-turn so I know it's not the brakes shifting as I have heard. Already replaced the front control arms. Also noticed that the car rocks a bit when parking then release the brake, level ground.

Could it be bushings, subframes or differential?
I had the same issue and when I lifted up the car I found out that the end links were loose. Maybe check sway bar, end links, tie rods, just check for any loose steering stuff
Appreciate 0