E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > P1030 error code, Valvetronic motor or eccentric shaft sensor?

05-16-2019, 08:19 PM   #1
shuotong
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

P1030 error code, Valvetronic motor or eccentric shaft sensor?

In the recent few month I keep getting error code P1030 (2A68) which description says Valvetronic motor movement sluggish. Unlike what others have seen, I got no other error codes.
This codes and the half yellow check engine light comes up only during aggressive downshifts from 6 to 3 (directly) on highway, not on tracks since the downshifts are sequential. The only problem is how I can determine if it's the motor itself or it's the sensor?
In other people's experiences, most likely when the sensor fails, they got more than one error codes at all the time, but my situation is only one error code and with the condition described above, should I go ahead and change the motor?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 12:19 PM   #2
wmuncaster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i PPK

I have the exact same issue and question. What did you end up doing?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 12:32 PM   #3
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuotong View Post
In the recent few month I keep getting error code P1030 (2A68) which description says Valvetronic motor movement sluggish. Unlike what others have seen, I got no other error codes.
This codes and the half yellow check engine light comes up only during aggressive downshifts from 6 to 3 (directly) on highway, not on tracks since the downshifts are sequential. The only problem is how I can determine if it's the motor itself or it's the sensor?
In other people's experiences, most likely when the sensor fails, they got more than one error codes at all the time, but my situation is only one error code and with the condition described above, should I go ahead and change the motor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmuncaster View Post
My F30 threw this code to me when my car had to limp home last month, and has been sitting in my garage for a month now.

Can you please let me know what you ended up doing on your side ?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 03:43 AM   #4
shuotong
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuotong View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmuncaster View Post
My F30 threw this code to me when my car had to limp home last month, and has been sitting in my garage for a month now.

Can you please let me know what you ended up doing on your side ?
It was gone by itself. I used liqui moly engine flush, however I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.
In a few words, I don't think it's the sensor that goes bad, once the sensor goes bad there's no way it can fix itself. I would try replacing the motor first.
Appreciate 0