E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > New battery hell - Any advice?

05-21-2019, 07:15 PM   #1
Modmike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BLack 2008 335i

New battery hell - Any advice?

For the last 2 years I have been having issues with the electrical system. My car simply refused to charge the battery more than 30%. Car always started, but always lost time. Yesterday it died for good.

Last summer I put in a new alternator, no change. I also changed out the ground strap and had the fuse box recall done. Yesterday I put in a new battery, no change. I tried registering the battery with Carly but it won't register it, although it detects it just fine. I used their troubleshooting tips but nothing works.

I suspected the IBS but it is not giving me any codes. I disconnected it as a few recommended but then I get a charge error. I plugged it back in and now I get the the charge error all the time.

I have the BimmerGeeks cable and I will reinstall the INPA software. Any advice on how to find and fix the problem?

How to import a BMW into Canada without getting rear ended
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 07:30 PM   #2
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modmike View Post
For the last 2 years I have been having issues with the electrical system. My car simply refused to charge the battery more than 30%. Car always started, but always lost time. Yesterday it died for good.

Last summer I put in a new alternator, no change. I also changed out the ground strap and had the fuse box recall done. Yesterday I put in a new battery, no change. I tried registering the battery with Carly but it won't register it, although it detects it just fine. I used their troubleshooting tips but nothing works.

I suspected the IBS but it is not giving me any codes. I disconnected it as a few recommended but then I get a charge error. I plugged it back in and now I get the the charge error all the time.

I have the BimmerGeeks cable and I will reinstall the INPA software. Any advice on how to find and fix the problem?
Possible bad JBE/JBBF?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 09:16 PM   #3
Modmike
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@TopGearSolutions View Post
Possible bad JBE/JBBF?
And how do I test the junction box?

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 11:18 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
...I suspected the IBS but it is not giving me any codes. I disconnected it as a few recommended but then I get a charge error. I plugged it back in and now I get the the charge error all the time...I have the BimmerGeeks cable and I will reinstall the INPA software. Any advice on how to find and fix the problem?
Quote:
QUESTIONS:
1) What are you using to read codes?
2) Exactly what Connectors did you disconnect? (see TIS circuit & Installation Location links below);
3 Have you used INPA before? Let us know if you have NOT used INPA before, and we can offer tips on how to get the needed info more quickly.

TIS circuit diagram for ISB (Intelligent Battery Sensor) and its connections to the BSD (Bit Serial Data) bus and DME (Gray wire) and DME BSD connections via Violet wires to Coolant Pump, Alternator & OZS (Oil Conditon Sensor):
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...rfaces/bzQCNHS

Installation Location, IBS and its Connectors, X13895 (BSD Connector) and X9230, Connector to Power Distribution Panel, B+ (Positive Battery terminal) voltage monitor:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...sensor/SQE9rMY

Any Faults related to DME Power Module or IBS will be found in the DME Fault Memory. When you get INPA running, or at least installed & K+DCAN Cable attached, let us know if any issues with installation or proper COM1, Latency 1, Com Port Settings with Cable attached to your Laptop, using Windows Control Panel (Device Manager > Ports, Com & LPT > USB Serial Port/Port Settings Tab > Advanced).

I. Use Functional Jobs to Read Fault Codes in All Modules:
1) When you connect Laptop to OBD II Socket and open INPA, Select E90:
2) At next screen, press Tab to navigate to Right ListBox; scroll (down arrow) to select "Functional Jobs" & press Enter;
3) Functional Jobs Menu appears; press < F4 > Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher);
4) At Fault Memory Menu, Press < F1 > Read Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher Lesen);
5) You will see two screens (have to scroll down) of Fault Codes in ALL Modules (approximately 20 modules).
6) COPY (Ctrl+C) all Fault Code Screens, one at a time, using Shft+PrtSc, and Paste (Ctrl+V) to Paint or Photo Editor software of choice, SaveAs a jpg image file in Folder of your choice for future reference and ATTACH a copy of each fault screen to a post here for further steps.

Goals:
1) Quickly learn how to use INPA, at least the first steps.
2) Diagnose your Electrical System issue.
3) Do NOT get discouraged if you don't seem to master INPA immediately. NOT even the German guys do (and the rest of us have to translate).

In answer to your last question, the JBE/JBBF is the Junction Box Electronic Module mounted beneath the JB (Junction Box where fuses are located). The JBE is an Electronic Module, and has its own Fault Memory and can be "connected to" by INPA to Read Codes, and to monitor Inputs or Activate Window Motors. If there are any Fault Codes saved in either the DME or JBE Modules, the Functional Jobs Readout described above will show them.

The next step will then be to connect to the DME or any other module that has a Fault Code Saved, and get MORE information to diagnose the issue. Take it a step at a time & write down/ask questions and all will be clear soon.

George
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 06:43 AM   #5
Modmike
Private First Class
Rep

George,

Wow, thank you for the super helpful post!

I already checked the IBS connections and everything is correctly plugged. I've been useing Carly to read codes but have used inpa with the BimmerGeeks cable about 3 years ago. I haven’t used it since so I had to reinstall everything last night. I believe I have the latest daten, v 67. I will try it at lunch with the following goals:
  1. Reading the codes
  2. Registering my new battery
  3. Reseting transmission adaptations
  4. Training the transmission using the inpa process (I rebuilt the mechatronics 2 years back)
  5. Update all the modules except ECU to remove coding and various coding incomplete errors
Any tips on the procedures?

As an aside, I am running an MHD tune that I installed about 3 years ago.

Last edited by Modmike; 05-22-2019 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: Grammer
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #6
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@TopGearSolutions View Post
Possible bad JBE/JBBF?
Codes? ISTA D or P can tell you if the JBE is bad

Carly has its uses, but it also has it's limitations
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #7
Modmike
Private First Class
Rep

Good news, I was able to connect and erase all the error codes but 2 kept coming back:

2FA3 - Coding missing. This is caused by my MHD my tune but I understand this can be default coded, anyone know how?
2A1A - Tank ventilation. I already changed the gas cap and the rear DMTL. Front valve tested ok. I noticed there is 0 volts going to it but I think that is the IBS system shutting it down because of low voltage.

The encouraging thing is that the state of charge was at 100% when I installed the battery but dropped to 20% in the history log. I could never get it to go above 30%. While running INPA, I saw it raise to over 50% so at least that's working. I also don't have anymore charge errors.

The last step is to register the battery and I've read conflicting instructions. What is the definitive way to register my battery? It's a 100ah lead but I understand I need to use 90ah, correct?

Last edited by Modmike; 05-22-2019 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 11:07 AM   #8
Modmike
Private First Class
Rep

Moved to battery thread. Sorry I didn't see it before!

Last edited by Modmike; 05-22-2019 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0