E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > New ipod Interface Question

08-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
Bmore335
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335is

New ipod Interface Question

Does anyone know when the new ipod interface is being released? My car is scheduled to be built on September 8th, and I would really love to have the new software to go with my iphone 4. I searched the forums, but couldn't find anything on release dates. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

It was originally believed that cars post September would get it, but it's in fact not coming until 2011, that's not MY2011, but calendar year 2011.

September 2010 production cars will get Bluetooth streaming and cover art support. It MAY be the case that cars with the September changes will be able to then software update to the new iPod interface when BMW releases it. Just MAY BE.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
Bmore335
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335is

Thanks for the reply. Do you think that the bluetooth quality will be as good as connecting my iphone into the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
chef_geek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Is this going to be a hardware change or will it be a "flashable" upgrade/update so that 1 or 2 year old cars can take advantage of it?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
MikePT
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d e92

How is the new interface?

I am waiting for a new car with ipod interface, but the one I saw was a bit disapointing. It uses the audio output for headphones for the audio signal, and this way it's impossible to achieve good audio quality.

The only way to achieve good audio quality with an ipod is to access the audio signal in its digital form, via usb (or maybe there is a connector in the interface that can output a i2s or spdif signal) but very few ipod interfaces use it. One of these is the Wadia ipod dock. And of course, the files have to be of good quality, surely not mp3. By the way, does the audio system recognize aiff files?

I will try the ipod interface, but I am convinced I'll end up using a portable hard disk instead of the ipod. Maybe a WD passport with 500G, which is almost the size of an ipod, and feeds on the usb port. I hope the buffers are enough to play without hiccups on less than perfect roads...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore335 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Do you think that the bluetooth quality will be as good as connecting my iphone into the car?
To be honest, no idea. This is the first time BMW has put out something like this, so I've never seen/heard it. But VW has it in a bunch of their cars, and I heard it in the GTI with the base (mediocre) sound system it sounded the same as auxiliary. Now it's certainly possible that with the upgraded sound system, the Bluetooth system won't be able to keep up, or it may be that it will still sound the same. Apparently BMW has said they will keep the quality comparable to other solutions (USB/aux).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef_geek View Post
Is this going to be a hardware change or will it be a "flashable" upgrade/update so that 1 or 2 year old cars can take advantage of it?
No. The changes coming in September (cover art/BT) are hardware and software changes and the bulletin described them as NOT retrofittable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePT View Post
How is the new interface?

I am waiting for a new car with ipod interface, but the one I saw was a bit disapointing. It uses the audio output for headphones for the audio signal, and this way it's impossible to achieve good audio quality.
The new system (September production cars onwards) will be using the standard Apple USB cable for audio and data transmission so it may get better audio quality. For those that may wonder, the current setup uses a Y cable that plug into the iPod/iPhone dock connector, and on the other end to USB and aux into the BMW. The new system will simply use a standard USB cable to go from iPod dock connector to BMW USB.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #7
MikePT
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdardashti View Post
The new system (September production cars onwards) will be using the standard Apple USB cable for audio and data transmission so it may get better audio quality.
Wow, thanks, this is wonderful news!
This way the DACs of the audio system will be used, not the ipod DACs, and I am pretty sure it will be a major improvement in the sound quality you can get form an ipod.

By the way, do you know if apple lossless files are supported? The system got to have a codec for it...
All files in my ipod are in apple lossless...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #8
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
This way the DACs of the audio system will be used, not the ipod DACs, and I am pretty sure it will be a major improvement in the sound quality you can get form an ipod.

By the way, do you know if apple lossless files are supported? The system got to have a codec for it...
Hmm I'm not too sure about that. If I'm not mistaken, the current system does not play them back, but I could be wrong. I haven't owned a vehicle with iDrive/USB so I'm not too sure. And it could change with the new system anyway.

See this link (posted by Sterrico) for more details on the September changes.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
MikePT
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep

Very interesting, thank you!
Pitty it doesn't mention one thing I'd like to hear - that the new dual clutch speedbox is available on the 335d. I guess I'll have to settle for the 6sp steptronic. But maybe I'll be better with a torque converter anyway...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 12:35 AM   #10
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep

Don't expect that too happen anytime soon. From the looks of it, BMW isn't going to be investing anything into the current platform of the 35d engine as in the application of the 335d and X5 xDrive35d in the US market. The engine has been upgraded in the rest of the world to 300 hp and slightly uprated torque for the X5, X6, 7er, 5GT, and a few other models, while the US stayed with the older engine. It also was the only X5 model throughout the world to remain with the 6 speed auto, instead of the ZF 8 Speed. I'm guessing BMW has put out the older engine, and any new drivetrain updates will be in combination with the new engine. They haven't brought over the engine for the US market possibly because diesel sales don't warrant certification of yet another engine.

They may have plans for a newer engine to launch with the F30 3er (either a diesel 4 or 6) so they don't want to certify an engine in the interim.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 04:47 AM   #11
MikePT
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep

We're getting off-topic, but mine will be the one with 300hp. It will be produced probably in late Sept, and I am in Europe.
I also wonder if the dual-clutch has difficulties in handling the torque...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep

Oops didn't notice you were in Europe! Sorry
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 05:27 AM   #13
chef_geek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
No. The changes coming in September (cover art/BT) are hardware and software changes and the bulletin described them as NOT retrofittable.

Bummer!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 10:34 AM   #14
rebirth24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Im sorry I am a bit late to the party, but is there a link or thread with info on these new changes coming in 2011 beyond the cover art/bt coming in Sept?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #15
E92Carrera
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebirth24 View Post
Im sorry I am a bit late to the party, but is there a link or thread with info on these new changes coming in 2011 beyond the cover art/bt coming in Sept?
http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/07/14/se...es-in-the-u-s/

2011 E92 Space Gray - M-Sport - Euro Delivery

2008 E92 Black Sapphire - Black Interior - Aluminum Trim
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #16
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Carrera View Post
He wants stuff for the 2011 changes, not the ones coming in September.

Here is a vid from BMW talking about the upcoming iPod Out functionality:

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #17
rebirth24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Both links were helpful!! I am still in MY07 335 and I am looking toward the 335is. Just want to ensure I am buying at the correct time. Oh and we have no date on the 2011 changes correct?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 04:13 AM   #18
w01f
Rep
Drives: 3-Series Touring 2010

Quote:
Hmm I'm not too sure about that. If I'm not mistaken, the current system does not play them back, but I could be wrong. I haven't owned a vehicle with iDrive/USB so I'm not too sure. And it could change with the new system anyway.

See this link (posted by Sterrico) for more details on the September changes.
Are the features such as BMW Assist with Extended Bluetooth, and iPod One-wire Integration mentioned in the above PDF link also applicable to UK cars built after September? Specifically the 3-Series Touring?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #19
PatriciaMG
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Any idea???

So I just bought an X1, and by just I mean I picked it up last tuesday August 31, and now I'm founding this, if i knew I would have probably waited.... As far as I can tell you about music, I had no prob syncing Iphone 4 via bluetooth, and as for music I have to use the Y cable which enables to manage music from the idrive & nav screen with no problem, I can see genres, artists, playlists, albums, no genius mixes, no art covers... but to be honest I'm now disappointed to find out that there's gonna be major advances of software & hardware related to this issue, and moreover after reading the pdf above referred and attached, changes that will not be retrofittable. Tomorrow I will make a visit to my dealer, to discuss this and other features of the X1 that weren't included when they were supposed to (in my case my model supposedly has the lighting package and it doesn't)

Also, I'm missing in this new idrive model the feature to see the song title played on the radio...

Anyway, if anyone has any advice, please let me know cause I see trouble ahead in my case...

Regards!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #20
PatriciaMG
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:

Yes, the new Idrive model plays them back
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #21
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriciaMG View Post
So I just bought an X1, and by just I mean I picked it up last tuesday August 31, and now I'm founding this, if i knew I would have probably waited.... As far as I can tell you about music, I had no prob syncing Iphone 4 via bluetooth, and as for music I have to use the Y cable which enables to manage music from the idrive & nav screen with no problem, I can see genres, artists, playlists, albums, no genius mixes, no art covers... but to be honest I'm now disappointed to find out that there's gonna be major advances of software & hardware related to this issue, and moreover after reading the pdf above referred and attached, changes that will not be retrofittable. Tomorrow I will make a visit to my dealer, to discuss this and other features of the X1 that weren't included when they were supposed to (in my case my model supposedly has the lighting package and it doesn't)

Also, I'm missing in this new idrive model the feature to see the song title played on the radio...

Anyway, if anyone has any advice, please let me know cause I see trouble ahead in my case...

Regards!!!
I believe the Y-cable was deco'ed a few months ago (see post below) for people outside the US.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392710

However, for US spec cars, the feature will only be on post the sep 2010 builds.

Sold E90 335i M Sport Alpine White|Tokyo
Sold E36 328i Jet Black|NYC

Last edited by akhter; 09-05-2010 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #22
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

October 09 build date,

What do i need to do to get this to work w/ my idrive?
Appreciate 0