E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > 5 series vs 3 series

05-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #1
ejam
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi Sedan E90

5 series vs 3 series

Hey bimmer lovers.

I have a dilemma and I'm looking for help and information to make an intelligent decision. This is where I stand. I have a 08 328i sedan with 65k. I've been having problems with the car. First the water pump went out. Then the starters. I had oil leaks from the valve cover. At the moment the car is at the dealer. I tried to update the DME and I ended up damaging it. So they are fixing it with a price tag of $3k. Since the car is at the dealer I had the sales department appraise it. I'm expecting to get around $10k for it and the repair bill is taken care of by the dealer. So I have $13k for a down payment for a cpo. This is where I'm stock. I want a car that I don't have to worry about mechanical problems for a few years. Should I keep my 328? Or should I change it to a 2012 and up 5 or 3 series? What 5 or 3 series should I get if change it is the best option for me?
Thank you for your help.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 10:47 AM   #2
tuphdc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 128i 6MT Sport Pkg

if you are not a diy'er then trade up - you'll have total piece of mind. Otherwise, drive what you have to 100k!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 11:06 AM   #3
ejam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuphdc View Post
if you are not a diy'er then trade up - you'll have total piece of mind. Otherwise, drive what you have to 100k!
Some what a diy'er. I did the valve cover gasket my self. I don't mind the minor problems. I know things will happen is a car. I don't like when the water pump goes out and then 3 weeks later the starter. Then 2 weeks later super bad oil leak. To the point I had to carry a quart of oil in the trunk because every 3 days I had to add oil. This is why I don't know what should I do.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 11:05 AM   #4
ejam
Rep

Any more ideas? The more the better.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 11:41 AM   #5
ThEnder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI N54 6MT

Most of what you have fixed are things that nearly every bmw needs around your mileage so you may be relatively out of the woods for now.

If you don't want to take the risk then go ahead and trade into something newer with a warranty.

For 3ers I'd look at some 328 sport or m sport. For 5ers I'd want to step up to the 535.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 12:09 PM   #6
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

I would say give your car another chance.....your car may be good to go for a good while longer with your mileage....all cars break,even the new ones!
But if avoiding breakdown is your primary concern you may want to jump ship to one of the Japanese brands.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 12:49 PM   #7
ejam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
I would say give your car another chance.....your car may be good to go for a good while longer with your mileage....all cars break,even the new ones!
But if avoiding breakdown is your primary concern you may want to jump ship to one of the Japanese brands.
ThEnder I was actually looking an offer they have for me. It is a 535xi 2012 with 28k. MSRP was $68k and they want $34k. He said he can bring it down to $30k. That's an option. Needbmwpartzz... Hell no! Never! These jpn cars lure you in with shinny options. Then you take the car for a test drive and you feel you are driving a canoe on a lake with no power. No thanks. I don't mind the break downs. But one thing after the other got me concerned that maybe the car was going into the dark side.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 01:08 PM   #8
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep

That 5er sounds tempting at that PP and the power will be intoxicating.....that sucker will have way too many problems down the road so I hope you will get the warranty extended.
Haha....if my bmw goes to the dark side I will jump ship and see how green the grass can be on the other side in Japan....hopefully she doesn't because I love my German girl.....but that what expensive problems will force me to do!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 02:49 PM   #9
ejam
Rep

Quote:
That 5er sounds tempting at that PP and the power will be intoxicating.....that sucker will have way too many problems down the road so I hope you will get the warranty extended.
Haha....if my bmw goes to the dark side I will jump ship and see how green the grass can be on the other side in Japan....hopefully she doesn't because I love my German girl.....but that what expensive problems will force me to do!
So the 5 series is more problem than a 3? How is that possible?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 02:57 PM   #10
M.Power
Գեվոջանյան
Rep
Drives: 2022 LP650 Urus/2023 F93 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejam View Post
Not necessarily.. The new 5 series are not bad at all in terms of liability, and since you said you wanted to get a CPO one, you'll be fine.
      05-26-2015, 03:08 PM   #11
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejam
Quote:
Well for starters the 5er has a turbo motor which your 328 doesn't so out of warranty that will cost more I'm sure and everything just cost more to maintain as this is a step up from 3 series so gas,brakes,tires and most maintenance items are going to cost a little more,sure you are getting more car but this car is aimed a little higher up the economic scale and cost of ownership will reflect that.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 03:56 PM   #12
ejam
Rep

Quote:
Well for starters the 5er has a turbo motor which your 328 doesn't so out of warranty that will cost more I'm sure and everything just cost more to maintain as this is a step up from 3 series so gas,brakes,tires and most maintenance items are going to cost a little more,sure you are getting more car but this car is aimed a little higher up the economic scale and cost of ownership will reflect that.
True that! I might be fine for 4 years or whatever I get our of the CPO/Extended CPO, but after that the depth of my pockets will dictate if the car will be running or be parked under a tree full of bird poop when something major breaks down. I'm sticking to a 3 series. I can probably afford maintenance and repairs on the 5 series, but I rather put that money to work than put it in a car that I don't really need. Okay so we are moving forward I'm sticking to the 3 series. I would love a M3 or M4, but those girls are too high maintenance. A 335 is a twin turbo which I have no idea on reliability and "break-ablity". I'm driving a 2015 328 loaner. This car is a 4 cylinder turbo and it has the same punch as my 6 cylinder 2008 328. In fact the throttle response on the 2015 is much quicker than my 08. Give me some input on the 3 series please. I'm looking for a 2012-2014 3 series. What engine is the high end of the 3 series and stuff like that. This 2008 328 I own has a N51 engine SULEV which I found out compromises on throttle response compared to the 328 with a N52 engine. This like this will help me please and thank you for your time and inputs.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 04:55 PM   #13
ejam
Rep

The dealer called me offering me $8k for my 2008 328i sedan. Minus $3k off repairs so basically I get $5k. No thanks! My car in fair condition is worth $10k for trade in value and my car is actually in good condition. That is lowball offer. I guess I will be keeping my 2008 328i if they don't come close to $10k
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 07:33 PM   #14
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejam
The dealer called me offering me $8k for my 2008 328i sedan. Minus $3k off repairs so basically I get $5k. No thanks! My car in fair condition is worth $10k for trade in value and my car is actually in good condition. That is lowball offer. I guess I will be keeping my 2008 328i if they don't come close to $10k
Keep the car man....and drive it until it has a epic repair cost.
Set a get rid of car amount ...so say you pick $3500 as the repair limit...if the repair is less or close to this amount fix it and keep driving it assuming it will last and not cause you any more foreseeable cost..and if it exceeds this amount still fix it but sell it immediately after as you already set a value of repair that your willing to live with.
Just a suggestion,as people tend to spend way too much trying to repair a car that will keep increasing in cost to repair when that amount would be better be used getting a newer/better car and hopefully one with a warranty so they can drive worry free for a bit at the least.
Can't comment on any newer than 2011 BMWs but I would research the engine options thoroughly before making any commitments to buy just so you know what the reviews are and projected reliability and such.
Goodluck any which way you go!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 07:42 PM   #15
ejam
Rep

Quote:
Keep the car man....and drive it until it has a epic repair cost.
Set a get rid of car amount ...so say you pick $3500 as the repair limit...if the repair is less or close to this amount fix it and keep driving it assuming it will last and not cause you any more foreseeable cost..and if it exceeds this amount still fix it but sell it immediately after as you already set a value of repair that your willing to live with.
Just a suggestion,as people tend to spend way too much trying to repair a car that will keep increasing in cost to repair when that amount would be better be used getting a newer/better car and hopefully one with a warranty so they can drive worry free for a bit at the least.
Can't comment on any newer than 2011 BMWs but I would research the engine options thoroughly before making any commitments to buy just so you know what the reviews are and projected reliability and such.
Goodluck any which way you go!
Thanks. I will keep the car. I will give it one more chance and if she fucks up I'm dumping her ass. I don't think the dealer will come any closer to $10k. Their lost.
Appreciate 0