E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Repaired from Crash . . . What's it worth?

07-06-2015, 11:54 AM   #1
OhAte328
Rep
Drives: 08 328i Coupe

Repaired from Crash . . . What's it worth?

Unfortunately as I was preparing to sell my E92 in order to get a 435, I was rear ended and pushed underneath a SUV. My vehicle has no frame damage and was repaired perfectly, but now it's been in a front and a rear collision due to this one incident. Damage was all cosmetic, totaled to about $12,000. It went to a high end shop that nailed the reconditioning.

Title is clean but the car fax will probably display the collisions. I realize it will now be much harder to sell on top of it all.

How much less should I ask and expect to receive for it due to this incident?

It's a '08 E92, Sport package, 65k miles, cosmetically immaculate, good service history.

Last edited by OhAte328; 07-06-2015 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 12:21 PM   #2
hyphen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

With low miles and a good repair, maybe 12-14k? Look into pursuing your insurance company for a Diminished Value Claim to make up the difference. At a 12k repair, it may have made more sense to push for a total loss and take a check instead of having to sell a damaged car.
      07-06-2015, 12:25 PM   #3
DaZuc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive

Garage List
Wow, thats strange that they didn't total loss that vehicle with 12k in repairs.

I don't think it will be that much harder to sell there are still a bunch of people who buy previously crashed cars.

Also does Carfax or any of those reports, describe the severity or the repair cost of the accident?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #4
OhAte328
Rep

Funny, I was also thinking it's worth $12k - $14k, as that's $1,000 to $3,000 less.

I probably could have pushed to get it totaled but since I know the car and was not ready to pull the trigger on a 435, I preferred to have it repaired. That way I wouldn't get stuck with a mystery car in the mean time.

I don't think Carfax describes the severity but I need to provide the body shop's paper work to prove the job was done properly - and the paper work shows $12k+ in repairs. That would trouble me if I was a buyer. I always walk away from crashed cars, let alone one that was almost totaled.

Thanks for recommending the diminished value. I will contact the insurance company about that.

DaZuc, I agree there are people willing to buy but they're usually willing to buy for a steep discount. I'm trying to figure out what kind of discount to expect to give.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 12:38 PM   #5
Oo vvR3cKz oO 619
GEARS OF WAR 3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: N54 E93

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 12:51 PM   #6
OhAte328
Rep

I was on my way to the airport so with the chaos this caused I didn't get good photos.
Here's one.
As for the rear, the bumper was just cracked all the way across in a bunch of places.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 06:27 PM   #7
OhAte328
Rep

California does recognize diminished value but the insurance company told me that it's worth $193.11 less after being involved in a crash. A comical figure, but I decided I should just sell it for what it's worth and pursue them for the actual difference after I receive it.

Before the crash it had no collisions, perfect paint, one small ding, all maintenance and brand new tires so I'm thinking it WAS worth $15,000 to $15,500.

What is a reasonable figure for diminished value on a car like this? What would you pay for it? Obviously not $193.11 less than one with a perfect history!

Thoughts on a reasonable diminished value? Opinions?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 06:38 PM   #8
einbruch10
these are the times that try mens soul's
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

When in an accident if the repairs cost i think 70% or more of the value of the car it gets totaled iirc. That is definitely a costly repair. For dvc id go for $1500 to $2300 depending what you sell it for. Im not sure how the market is where you are but its what i would try in GA.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 07:34 PM   #9
ToastOfTenacity
Nurburgring Nate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

I feel like with 12k in damage, the insurance should have totaled the car out regardless. However, because of the accident, (and the value that was lost due to the nature of the accident), you should receive some kind of value check (Diminished Resale Value) for the potential money that you've lost. I don't think that applies if the car isn't paid off yet though, so beware of that.

Tl;dr You should receive some kind of (diminished resale value specific) compensation for the accident from your insurance company.

2008 335i Sport Package
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 08:05 PM   #10
OhAte328
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn355717 View Post
I feel like with 12k in damage, the insurance should have totaled the car out regardless. However, because of the accident, (and the value that was lost due to the nature of the accident), you should receive some kind of value check (Diminished Resale Value) for the potential money that you've lost. I don't think that applies if the car isn't paid off yet though, so beware of that.

Tl;dr You should receive some kind of (diminished resale value specific) compensation for the accident from your insurance company.
The car is paid off. Insurance is only offering $193.11. Yes that is written correctly.

I'd love to hear what you all think the diminished value actually is. As in, how much less is it worth to you because of its history?

Last edited by OhAte328; 07-06-2015 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 08:40 PM   #11
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

No diminished value if you sell to someone that could care less if it was in accident.
Do you notice the car drives any different after the repair?
I once had a car that had a repair similar in value on a less expensive vehicle and it ruined the tight feel of the car forever....and actually turned car into a POS.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 09:18 PM   #12
OhAte328
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
No diminished value if you sell to someone that could care less if it was in accident.
I once had a car that had a repair similar in value on a less expensive vehicle and it ruined the tight feel of the car forever....and actually turned car into a POS.
No need to shower ever again if I can find people to work with and someone to date that do not mind body odors Touché?

I haven't noticed it drives differently but I use it to commute in gridlock traffic so I haven't compared its tightness on curvy roads yet.

I do see a slight difference in paint texture between the new paint and factory paint though.

Out of curiosity, would you care about it having front and rear collisions IF you were shopping for one?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 09:23 PM   #13
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAte328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
No need to shower ever again if I can find someone to date that doesn't mind body odors I haven't noticed it drives differently but I use it to commute in gridlock traffic so I haven't compared its tightness on curvy roads yet.

I do see a slight difference in paint texture between the new paint and factory paint though.

Out of curiosity, would you care about it having front and rear collisions IF you were shopping for one?
Lol at BO comment...some truly don't care but you tend to get lower quality models....well at least initially
I personally would care but my guess is most don't care as long as the vehicle is repaired.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 05:47 PM   #14
ToastOfTenacity
Nurburgring Nate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAte328 View Post
The car is paid off. Insurance is only offering $193.11. Yes that is written correctly.

I'd love to hear what you all think the diminished value actually is. As in, how much less is it worth to you because of its history?
My dad purchased the 335i that I currently own in 9/08, and in 2/09 we got sandwiched between a semi and an escalade. Front and rear damage as well. While a potential buyer may be instantly turned off by an accident, an informed buyer who knows the shop you took it to may be less inclined to walk away. He'll definitely use the accident as a negotiation tool though, which is why I was asking about the diminished value check. To me, I wouldn't buy a car that had been in any accident besides a Fender-Bender or something similar. Nothing major at all, just because I like nice cars, and if something goes wrong, it's a little more expensive to fix a 335i than a Civic lol.

Having said that, historically, I'd say anywhere between $1,500-$4,000 less wouldn't be out of line as far as diminished value. It all depends on who you take it to and how informed they are.

2008 335i Sport Package
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 09:53 PM   #15
cmg5461
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Deep Green 335xi 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Get the repaired car appraised and ask what the price of the vehicle would be minus the accident. Submit paperwork to insurance company and wait for the check
      10-31-2015, 08:25 AM   #16
346TEXAS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335is

Carfax will show a "worth $...... less than book value", you could try that route.

I did a DRV claim on my M3 which had minor rear end damage and IIRC it was $700 after a few phone calls back and forth.

The thing to consider with DRV is that the insurance company are now insuring your vehicle at a lower value, because it has been involved in an accident, and is worth less. If you got hit again and the car was totaled, they will value your car as a car with previous accident history, so you will get less.

And it will be a lot less than the $193 they've offered you.

Get the DRV check before you trey to sell it. Push them hard! Throw out some big numbers! Google it and let them know you know the score.
Appreciate 0