E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Help Me Chose First Bmw!

05-01-2015, 12:53 AM   #1
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 '07 328xi

Exclamation Help Me Chose First Bmw!

Hi, im buying my first bmw possibly this weekend. I have been talking to two guys and they are both selling their 2006 e90s for 11k. One of them is a 330xi and the other a 325i. What i'm torn about is the whole awd/rwd situation. Truly I want a 335i (badly!) but 11k is all i got. So the 330xi has 254hp and the 325i only 215hp. Should I go with more horsepower but awd or less hp but rwd (which i prefer). Both are 6spd manual tranny and are in equal condition.

P.S. found a 335i for 9k on craigslist (it says clean title but for that price sounds sketch) and I have emailed the guy a few hours ago but he hasn't responded, I don't know how long it usually takes people on craigslist to reply should I wait, and if so how long because i'm looking to buy a car tomorrow! Please help!!! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 01:24 AM   #2
Spensaur
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 328i

Garage List
I definitely would not buy a 335i with that budget... Please steer clear for your own sake

As for the other options, i'd choose the 330xi; however, i'd wait to get something that i'd really want. In this case, it seems to be a 330i for 11k
2007 E93 328i | Space Gray Coral Red | M-Tech Front Bumper w/ Carbon Fiber Splitters | BMW Performance Rear Bumper | BMW Performance Exhaust w/ Secondary Cat Delete | Injen Intake | HID Angel Eyes | M3 Trunk Lip Spoiler

Appreciate 1
      05-01-2015, 10:15 AM   #3
E92TTCoupe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: x335i/x550i/x640i/x540i/c750i

+1 330xi
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
LaserPower
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi -> E90 N55

What's your need? Personally I would not go for any of them. 325 is way down on power. 330xi is not very sharp, and quite slow too (anything xdrive is less sharp than the RWD counterpart. Steering ratio, suspension tuning are all geared towards utility than performance. and a car heavy as e90 needs at least 300 hp). And a very old 335 is just asking for trouble (unless you are lucky, or prepared to spend more time fixing it than driving it). I know. I have a xdrive 335. But I starts to regret the decision as this is a utility vehicle with performance in mind, not the other way around.

Don't get a xdrive if you want performance. There are other sharper AWD performance sedans out there (Evo, Sti). Don't get anything less than a 335 if you want decent 0-60 time (something lighter does not need as much hp to get you going. try a s2000). Don't get a older MY if you want gadget. Now pick your poison.
      05-02-2015, 07:38 AM   #5
Ti317
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

One more for the 330

You're in Oregon so I assume you will be doing some wet road driving. The all wheel drive will make your day. The 3 liter inline 6 is one of the best motors BMW made in my not so humble opinion.
Some advice, spend $100 or so and get a good mechanic to inspect it. It will serve 2 functions, you'll be aware of most major issues and you will begin a relationship with a shop to do your repairs.
Another tip is join BMW CCA. Lots of tips and resources as well as technical advisors.

Good luck and my sympathies. It is quite possible you are starting a life long addiction to BMW.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2015, 10:26 AM   #6
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I agree with what everyone has said, especially about your budget. If you can only spend $11k, you're gonna be stuck with a BMW with high mileage and I would assume not that great condition. The only people I know that own/buy higher mileage BMWs are mechanics or very mechanically inclined. Also, they are willing to fork over $$ when things go wrong. BMW is a great car, but the ones you listed make me feel skeptical.

How about leasing a new 3 series? That may be the best choice short term for you.

YouTube | INSTAGRAM | My New Website: Shifted-Perspective.com | DM for discounts on: LUX ANGEL EYES or BPM TUNES
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2015, 02:24 PM   #7
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMB063 View Post
I agree with what everyone has said, especially about your budget. If you can only spend $11k, you're gonna be stuck with a BMW with high mileage and I would assume not that great condition. The only people I know that own/buy higher mileage BMWs are mechanics or very mechanically inclined. Also, they are willing to fork over $$ when things go wrong. BMW is a great car, but the ones you listed make me feel skeptical.

How about leasing a new 3 series? That may be the best choice short term for you.
I'm pretty skeptical about doing a lease because if im not able to pay for the car I really don't want to loose it and most of the cars I have been looking at are from private dealers. Can you give me some information about that since this will be my first official car purchase. Also if I lease I wont be able to do any mods to my understanding...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 02:29 PM   #8
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserPower View Post
What's your need? Personally I would not go for any of them. 325 is way down on power. 330xi is not very sharp, and quite slow too (anything xdrive is less sharp than the RWD counterpart. Steering ratio, suspension tuning are all geared towards utility than performance. and a car heavy as e90 needs at least 300 hp). And a very old 335 is just asking for trouble (unless you are lucky, or prepared to spend more time fixing it than driving it). I know. I have a xdrive 335. But I starts to regret the decision as this is a utility vehicle with performance in mind, not the other way around.

Don't get a xdrive if you want performance. There are other sharper AWD performance sedans out there (Evo, Sti). Don't get anything less than a 335 if you want decent 0-60 time (something lighter does not need as much hp to get you going. try a s2000). Don't get a older MY if you want gadget. Now pick your poison.

Well im only 16 so my only use would be to get around town (school, work, etc.) I wont be doing too much highway/ long distance driving. I do ski a lot but I think I would take my parents Infiniti if I was to go so that may not be a problem. I might look at trying a few track days here and there, and that might turn into a hobby of mine. One guy said since it rains a good amount here in Oregon AWD might be a good idea, does that make any sense? I am looking towards doing some mods like a new exhaust, intake, etc. also if that changes anything. Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #9
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the support and help everyone! I've had a lot of good tips about what I do. For all the people suggesting that I stay away from a BMW, I know I should but my heart is stuck to it and I cant stay away. I've been convinced that a xi model is not the way to go due to performance reasons, so ill stick with rwd. For the people suggesting a older model I dont really like the older style (still beautiful cars) and would like to stay with 2006+ models. Im considering leasing/ financing a 335i, if I can get any help about doing this that would be great. Love this community and looking forward to being a part of it!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 06:07 PM   #10
LaserPower
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arian View Post
Well im only 16 so my only use would be to get around town (school, work, etc.) I wont be doing too much highway/ long distance driving. I do ski a lot but I think I would take my parents Infiniti if I was to go so that may not be a problem. I might look at trying a few track days here and there, and that might turn into a hobby of mine. One guy said since it rains a good amount here in Oregon AWD might be a good idea, does that make any sense? I am looking towards doing some mods like a new exhaust, intake, etc. also if that changes anything. Thanks for the help!
Depends on how much experience you have with cars. If you grown up with sliding go-karts around then you will probably be ok with a RWD 335 with a nice set of tires, and drives sensibly. If not, you will likely send that car into a ditch with that much torque on a very wet day, or on a track if not driven correctly (oversteering is naturally unstable and will get easily go completely out of control if you do not correct it quickly and properly. understeering is naturally stable and will most likely go completely out of control), which will result hefty repair bills or hefty insurance money to begin with. (I was 16 once, and I know it is tempting to slide a car around. I still do. But know your limit and be honest with yourself. You have nothing to prove and will only be looked at as an idiot when you crash the car). This is also important to think about as if this is your first car, you are likely to crash it a few times. Repair and insurance will get expensive with a BMW unless you have a good source of income or your parents are willing to support you (not a bad thing necessarily. long as you don't get comfy and get dragged down by the fact. We all get stuff from our parents. Some more, some less. Most F1 drivers started from very young and many are mostly successful, and I don't believe their parents did not buy their first go kart for them, and the tires, and the maintenance, etc.). But in general do not post your age in a forum. People generally take it in the wrong way, get jealous, etc that are not helpful in anyway.

AWD helps traction in many aspects. But only when the car is driven within its limit. When you push it too far and nothing will save you. It will help in rain situations, sure. In my experience, I did not even find AWD that useful around town even in snow. The most significant advantage of a AWD vs RWD (both with snow tires) is at climbing steep slippery inclines. That is the only time a RWD is guaranteed to not be able to make it. Does not matter how good of a driver you are. Other than that, learn to control the car. Most of the time any type of drivetrain will suffice in most of the situations.

When I said performance wise AWD is a bad choice, I mean in terms of agility. BMW xdrive version understeers more than a RWD, has a less stiff front suspension, and has a slower steering ratio than the RWD version which makes the car in general inferior to the RWD version in terms of agility. Straight line wise, there is not that much of a noticeable difference, just the overall grip is better to get off the line. Any modification you do will have an impact on your car, both negative and positive. Power mods extract more power, but fuel efficiency will drop, and parts will break sooner (more money lol?). Suspension mod may give you more traction and change the overall dynamics of the car, or make it less dynamic and more comfy, but you have to understand how. Slapping on some mods without fully understanding the effect of them is just a waste of money, and with the potential of making the car worse. (eg. you know why the xdrive's front ride height is higher than a RWD? If you have more weight in the front, then jacking the front up a little is a way to shift that weight to the rear a bit, improving the weight distribution : D)
      05-02-2015, 06:15 PM   #11
LaserPower
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all the support and help everyone! I've had a lot of good tips about what I do. For all the people suggesting that I stay away from a BMW, I know I should but my heart is stuck to it and I cant stay away. I've been convinced that a xi model is not the way to go due to performance reasons, so ill stick with rwd. For the people suggesting a older model I dont really like the older style (still beautiful cars) and would like to stay with 2006+ models. Im considering leasing/ financing a 335i, if I can get any help about doing this that would be great. Love this community and looking forward to being a part of it!
I can also suggest a car that is fun, cheap even when new, and you will not very likely to send it into a ditch. Much better than a 325 or a 330 for sure. Try a Scion FT-86 or the Subaru BRZ (basically the same thing. I like the BRZ's look better). Very will balanced RWD car that is easy and very fun to drive. Good car to learn to drive a stick and RWD, and easy to control at limit (rigid chassis, center of gravity is lower than a Ferrari 458), while maintaining the fun RWD characteristics. Not too much power so 'accidentally give too much power' is not an excuse. Cheap to buy and drive and maintain and fix. And quite sharper looking than any 3 series (It's an old man's car at the end). I would say in general a very good car to begin with. You can also look at a 350Z or a 370Z. Frankly I would pick a 370z over my 335 in a heartbeat if I don't go into the mountain in the winter.

Last edited by LaserPower; 05-02-2015 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2015, 06:44 PM   #12
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm pretty skeptical about doing a lease because if im not able to pay for the car I really don't want to loose it and most of the cars I have been looking at are from private dealers. Can you give me some information about that since this will be my first official car purchase. Also if I lease I wont be able to do any mods to my understanding...
Leasing is nice because you can get a car for less $ per month typically than if you were to buy it outright. It's nice because you get a new nicer car than you could normally afford and just have to essentially pay the depreciation. I am not someone to lease, but it definitely makes sense for some people especially if you are tight on cash and want a BMW haha. Yes, at the end you will have to turn the car in, but you can always get another lease for similar payments. So instead of buying and eventually owning it after payments are up, you are paying a stead stream. Yes when you buy it's nice to have payments done and own the car, but when you go to sell it you will get hit on depreciation which would hopefully calculate similar to that of a lease. So either way you'll be paying the price of depreciation. And also, no you aren't supposed to mod it, but as long as you remove them at the end, you should be okay from what I've heard.

And if you only have 11k to spend, how much would you spend on mods?! Make sure you recognize the financial impact of your decision before you make it. You don't want to be in the hole and in debt just because you wanted a BMW now. Maybe waiting and saving more would make sense...

YouTube | INSTAGRAM | My New Website: Shifted-Perspective.com | DM for discounts on: LUX ANGEL EYES or BPM TUNES
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2015, 05:17 PM   #13
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Leasing is nice because you can get a car for less $ per month typically than if you were to buy it outright. It's nice because you get a new nicer car than you could normally afford and just have to essentially pay the depreciation. I am not someone to lease, but it definitely makes sense for some people especially if you are tight on cash and want a BMW haha. Yes, at the end you will have to turn the car in, but you can always get another lease for similar payments. So instead of buying and eventually owning it after payments are up, you are paying a stead stream. Yes when you buy it's nice to have payments done and own the car, but when you go to sell it you will get hit on depreciation which would hopefully calculate similar to that of a lease. So either way you'll be paying the price of depreciation. And also, no you aren't supposed to mod it, but as long as you remove them at the end, you should be okay from what I've heard.

And if you only have 11k to spend, how much would you spend on mods?! Make sure you recognize the financial impact of your decision before you make it. You don't want to be in the hole and in debt just because you wanted a BMW now. Maybe waiting and saving more would make sense...
So, to my understanding I should completely lease not even finance due to depreciation for when I try to sell the car when its over correct? Also, I would just than be able to change cars when I want so your point is actually really valid and just changed my perspective completely. Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 12:07 AM   #14
Chasex
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

You would be making a big mistake buying a BMW at 16 with an 11k budget. These cars are expensive to maintain and repair, and trust me, it will happen. Just think about how frustrated you would be if tomorrow you got hit with a 1k repair bill. Because that's the kind of thing that will happen to you. Seriously It will happen.

The only people buying older BMW's like that are hobbyists, or those who are mechanically skilled and able to maintain and fix the car themselves.

At 16, you are likely neither. You need a car that is reliable, cheap to run, and will at least last through High School and maybe College. For that money, go buy a used Cobalt SS turbo or something. It would be faster and more fun to drive. Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2015, 09:49 AM   #15
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

At 15 I had a 92 Civic VX Hatchback and got 52mpg lol, with all of 85hp! I miss every minute of it to be honest, it was a very sturdy car and maintenance was a breeze although it was beyond slow I didn't care! I could literally climb into the engine bay and work on that car.. It eventually became my pride and joy and after budget building it with less then $5k I was breaking 400hp.. So my advice, start with something smaller and more affordable to upkeep and go from there, you won't regret that decision.. However you may in time regret a decision based on purchasing a car that you have no idea how to fix when something breaks, than you have a large paperweight in your driveway.. Just my .02 anyways, gl..
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2015, 05:08 PM   #16
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i View Post
At 15 I had a 92 Civic VX Hatchback and got 52mpg lol, with all of 85hp! I miss every minute of it to be honest, it was a very sturdy car and maintenance was a breeze although it was beyond slow I didn't care! I could literally climb into the engine bay and work on that car.. It eventually became my pride and joy and after budget building it with less then $5k I was breaking 400hp.. So my advice, start with something smaller and more affordable to upkeep and go from there, you won't regret that decision.. However you may in time regret a decision based on purchasing a car that you have no idea how to fix when something breaks, than you have a large paperweight in your driveway.. Just my .02 anyways, gl..
^ +1!

I had 2006 accord sedan 4 cyl AUTOMATIC for 7 years before i got my BMW. No, it was not a fun car, but I made do and had to wait. When you go to a BMW forum, and most members suggest an alternative to BMW, that should tell you something.

Anyways, hope you make the right choice. Here is a pic of my last ride I rocked for 7 whole years for some inspiration!

Appreciate 1
      05-21-2015, 10:01 PM   #17
Ti317
Private
Rep

If you may at have a BMW, a turbo charged car is NOT for a 16 year old with only $11k in a budget. Either try to find a good conditioned 330 or 328 but I would favor you getting a good condition e46 330i or Xi.
Make sure it has been well maintained and learn to do preventative maintenance. Drive it for a year or so and then step up to an e90.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 11:17 PM   #18
Eric E92 335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

just get a subaru, it will run, it's fast and it's hard to break it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 06:42 AM   #19
Ti317
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric E92 335i View Post
just get a subaru, it will run, it's fast and it's hard to break it.
But it's not a BMW. If you don't see the difference then maybe BMW really isn't for you. No worries, that's why we have so many different brands and styles.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 07:02 AM   #20
Ti317
Private
Rep

Quote:
^ +1!

When you go to a BMW forum, and most members suggest an alternative to BMW, that should tell you something.
It tells me that people jumped in to a car they had no idea about. I have owned 5 BMWs and never regretted 1 (based on my most recent purchase I may be speaking too soon).
The key is to realize what you are getting. Performance costs money! An e39 M5 is not going to compare with a Nissan Sentra for reliability but cost aside, which would you rather drive?
You don't put a big brake kit on and then complain about the $600 brake pads.

Those touting Hondas and the like seem to forget the e30 and e46 318i.

Back to my earlier post, start older, simpler and cheaper, spend money on a GOOD pre purchase inspection, do all the preventative maintenance, even the stuff that seems wasteful like radiator replacement. Change oil at 5k miles, enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 07:35 AM   #21
ArcticRik
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Arctic Metallic E90 335i

get the 330xi

You will be spending a lot to maintain a used 335i..... so far I have had my turbos replaced, valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, HPFP, injectors, water pump and thermostat and i just hit 68k miles..... all this adds up... keep another 3-4k for maintenance on the side...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 08:05 AM   #22
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

You don't have a lot of money to spend so go with the car with the least number of miles. BMWs are NOT cheap to maintain so be ready for some expensive repair bills if you don't know how to DYI or know a good mechanic. Just be aware of what you are getting yourself into. The N52 based cars are less problematic but they still need to have gaskets and water pump replaced at around 80-100k. So if that was not done on the car you are you buying then you will be replacing them soon.

As far as a 335 goes; with what you are putting down, don't even bother looking at one.
Appreciate 0