E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BMW Scan Tool- General discussion

02-10-2016, 10:14 AM   #23
davidwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
Yes, and not until Foxwell released the update.

-James
That will be awesome.
      02-10-2016, 02:58 PM   #24
fr3nch2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
It says it does. However what sensors does it specifically log is the question. The BT tool lack ignition logging for all 6 cylinder.

Also, which MAP sensor the tool has access to. We have two map sensors. The TMAP sensor on the charge pipe, and MAP sensor on the intake manifold. BMW specific tool can access the TMAP, but general OBDII scanners only have access to the MAP sensor on the intake manifold which is useless to us which is used for vacuum.

I definitely the ability it has to retract the calipers when changing brakes. This is even more critical for those with E brakes. I just changed my rear brakes not too long ago, and this would have saved me the pain of having to retract calipers manually.
Do you have one of these?

If not I saw the review you did on the ECS intake, maybe they'd do the same with this?

These are all valid questions and I'm still learning the tool myself, but the possibilities seem endless
      02-10-2016, 11:35 PM   #25
cwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 e92

Quote:
It says it does. However what sensors does it specifically log is the question. The BT tool lack ignition logging for all 6 cylinder.

Also, which MAP sensor the tool has access to. We have two map sensors. The TMAP sensor on the charge pipe, and MAP sensor on the intake manifold. BMW specific tool can access the TMAP, but general OBDII scanners only have access to the MAP sensor on the intake manifold which is useless to us which is used for vacuum.

I definitely the ability it has to retract the calipers when changing brakes. This is even more critical for those with E brakes. I just changed my rear brakes not too long ago, and this would have saved me the pain of having to retract calipers manually.
What it can retract the calipers ? where the hell have i been never heard this
      02-11-2016, 06:14 AM   #26
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3nch2 View Post
Do you have one of these?

If not I saw the review you did on the ECS intake, maybe they'd do the same with this?

These are all valid questions and I'm still learning the tool myself, but the possibilities seem endless
I will wait for the update before pulling out my CC to buy this to go further into it. Trust me I get my hands on it I'm going to dissect it. Just being able to retract calipers is good enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarren View Post
What it can retract the calipers ? where the hell have i been never heard this
Here is the list of the product details from the ECS Tuning site which I believe is quoting Foxwell
  • Compatible with the latest UDS protocol
  • Compatible with global OBDII/EOBD
  • Works on most systems
  • Reads and clear codes and turns off MILs
  • Requests and records live sensor data
  • Provides live data graphing
  • Merges graphs for easy and intuitive diagnosis
  • Displays freeze frame data
  • Performs most adaptations
  • Does active tests on systems and components*
  • Performs special functions, coding, security access**
  • Retrieves ECU information
  • Supports all 10 OBDII test modes
  • Resets oil service light
  • Sets inspection 1, 2 service interval
  • Sets (non) long life oil service
  • Sets inspection mileage
  • Deactivates and re-activates brake control system
  • Retracts calipers for brake pad replacement
  • Returns calipers to the original position
  • Initializes the wear indicator if new pads installed
  • Diagnoses EPB caliper functionality 

• Code troubleshooters for faster and easier diagnosis
  • Multilingual menu options and code definitions
  • Memory card for data backup and software update
  • Large TFT color screen and menu-driven operations
  • Also does Rolls Royce
  • Multi System Platform capable
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2016, 01:34 PM   #27
fr3nch2
Private First Class
Rep

I'd love to see you do a review on it, and get your impressions. Work has been pretty busy lately otherwise, I'd try to write one up myself. I just thought this thread would be a cool place for us to share info on it.

Anyone else have one?
      02-15-2016, 09:29 PM   #28
brecken
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Bump

I am eager to find out more about this tool!
      02-15-2016, 09:56 PM   #29
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecken View Post
Bump

Agreed.

Once I get a straight answer from Foxwell/Schwaben/ECS on if this can program/code additional keys for E9x cars, myself & about a thousand other automotive locksmiths are buying one. Mainly, just tell me what years and models it covers, and what systems it can work with (CA, non-CA, CAS 3+, CAS 4, and so on.)

I E-Mailed Foxwell last week, nothing, I completely understand that ECS doesn't know for sure (It's not a common function), but the Mfr. has shown no interest in answering that simple question.

FWIW, this tool would be one of a very few amount of OBD tools to enroll BMW keys. Only legitimate alternative in my industry is $7k...
      02-15-2016, 09:56 PM   #30
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecken View Post
Bump

Waiting for delivery stay tuned..........
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2016, 10:30 PM   #31
sp1tfire
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

should be getting mine tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 01:23 AM   #32
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Looky Here !

Got home late and I had an ECS box staring at me on my whatever you call it a desk. So far I'm really impressed, this is not junk, this is a dealer OE professional tool, quality is bang drop rugged shock resistant, the display is a very good quality TFT

Just updated the software, I can tell you guys strait up this is a INPA and BT Tool all in one plus more. No VIN locks, you can actually SAVE VIN with their associated modules.

VINs can be saves like this

Mom BMW
Dad BMW
Peter BMW
Lisa Mini
Paul's Rolls Royce

etc etc etc

It does a damn good job of identifying the car by scanning the VIN and it will pull all the "specifics" about your car.

The hard part is having it scan all your modules in the beginning for the first time. Better have a battery charger. After it has completed scanning all modules it maps them out and you save them to your VIN.

Im still digging, there is a lot to go through, even saw the TCU module, there is just an overload of info to cover but will go over the major stuff in video. Foxwell isn't playing with their software, they have that locked down from being exploited.

I still have yet to go over how the coding works, so those of you coding whores please be patient I got a lot of stuff to go over which is overwhelming in value.
Appreciate 3
4 Doors1169.00
      02-17-2016, 07:15 AM   #33
brecken
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Can't wait to see the video!
      02-17-2016, 10:41 AM   #34
fr3nch2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Got home late and I had an ECS box staring at me on my whatever you call it a desk. So far I'm really impressed, this is not junk, this is a dealer OE professional tool, quality is bang drop rugged shock resistant, the display is a very good quality TFT

Just updated the software, I can tell you guys strait up this is a INPA and BT Tool all in one plus more. No VIN locks, you can actually SAVE VIN with their associated modules.

VINs can be saves like this

Mom BMW
Dad BMW
Peter BMW
Lisa Mini
Paul's Rolls Royce

etc etc etc

It does a damn good job of identifying the car by scanning the VIN and it will pull all the "specifics" about your car.

The hard part is having it scan all your modules in the beginning for the first time. Better have a battery charger. After it has completed scanning all modules it maps them out and you save them to your VIN.

Im still digging, there is a lot to go through, even saw the TCU module, there is just an overload of info to cover but will go over the major stuff in video. Foxwell isn't playing with their software, they have that locked down from being exploited.

I still have yet to go over how the coding works, so those of you coding whores please be patient I got a lot of stuff to go over which is overwhelming in value.

Glad you got one man! I'm telling you guys, any one with a BMW should have one of these. This thing is unreal.

I apologize I still haven't had time to try to code a key yet. Been stuck at work late and going in early every day this week.
      02-17-2016, 11:33 AM   #35
Mezzy113
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Glad you got one man! I'm telling you guys, any one with a BMW should have one of these. This thing is unreal.

I apologize I still haven't had time to try to code a key yet. Been stuck at work late and going in early every day this week.
Mine should be arriving Friday! Pretty stoked about it from reading through the PDF manual and hearing about some of the features.

Definitely liking this thread to share experiences and feature discoveries.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 03:05 PM   #36
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Ok, I just went through just about everything on this device. It is, without doubt, very similar to the BT Tool and INPA in regards to enabling/disabling modules, clearing shadow codes, scanning and clearing modules codes and resetting adaptations.

Instead of searching for errors for the overall vehicle health you can just have it scan each module automatically for error codes and address whatever it is.

Keep in mind this is a diagnostic and maintenance tool, so don't compare it to COBB or MHD flashers which have superior capabilities for channel logging in which MHD is by far the best at doing. This scan tool lacks logging all 6 cylinders, and this is a must for the BMW community, however, not a need if its already being done with the flasher devices.

Non of the flashers have the feature to log and access the TCU performance for 6AT/DKG/DCT transmissions. I am sure MHD can add these, but right now not available in MHD but available in this tool

I was unable to test out the ABS-DSC modules, it kept freezing. I sent a ticket in on this problem with it. On my Mini Cooper it works flawlessly though.

Currently the "Service" option is not available, where you can reset service counters, and manipulate dates for service due dates or to see if your coming near a due maintenance. The BT Tool has this. This scan stool is setup for it but the software has not been implemented yet

There is no coding availability. The hardware DOES support it, but there is no software support at this time. The only things that can be done with Injectors is enabling disabling for whatever reason for testing. I will still go back over the tool again to confirm hoping I didn't miss something as its a lot of stuff to comb through, but I'm pretty sure no coding support at this time.

I will still follow up with a video walk through, it definitely better than getting a BT tool that locks VIN and not progressive about their software or hassling with INPA which is a challenge to use for those who lack in certain PC skills. However, ECS Tuning is very supportive and active in the community so I am sure with some push this scanner will be up to par with the community's needs.

I would also like to correct myself, the expected update has not been released yet. The update I ran was an older update from 2015. So all of this is probable going to be addressed in the expected update that was mentioned before.

Last edited by BQTuning; 02-17-2016 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 04:48 PM   #37
sp1tfire
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

any advice on how to code frm module?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 05:00 PM   #38
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

This is now on my list for sure. I just replaced my battery and used the Carly app to register the battery but it seems sketchy to me, I think I would feel much better using this type of device.
      02-17-2016, 05:36 PM   #39
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp1tfire View Post
any advice on how to code frm module?
As mentioned above in my previous post its not available yet in the module menu option as of current software that I could find. The hardware supports the coding, but they need to release the software via software update to gain access and utilize the hardware's ability.

Just as everyone else I'm waiting for the new update that's suppose to bring to the table new features.

Your OS/Software logic is on that microSD card, just an FYI. The device must be registered in order to get the update.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 07:32 PM   #40
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

No problem man! Seriously don't rush just to get me an answer on that unique thing. I'm still waiting to hear from Foxwell, so i'll update on my end as well if I hear anything.
      02-18-2016, 08:23 AM   #41
davidwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC

Just found this video on YouTube-
      02-18-2016, 09:52 AM   #42
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Just an FYI to everyone, the video above is on a F30 series cars not the E90 or E89 series cars with the N54. So some features that you see available in the video for the F30 series may not be available for the those cars with the N54.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 01:43 PM   #43
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I got a response from Foxwell about key programming.

Foxwell model GT80 Plus and NT510 are able to programming keys.
Thanks and regards
Foxwell Team

Tel: 86 755 2669 7229
Fax: 86 755 2689 7226
Email: support@foxwelltech.com
Web: www.foxwelltech.com

I didn't ask about the Schwaben tool specifically, but I never got an answer as to what cars are supported.. I did ask specifically about BMW/Mini keys though.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 02:53 PM   #44
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
http://www.foxwellshop.com/wholesale...e-and-obd.html

The same thing except $40 cheaper? Looks like it performs the same functions at first glance but then again, I could be totally wrong.