E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Recommendations for Chicago area shop that knows 335Ds!

12-05-2018, 08:26 PM   #1
tvran23
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Recommendations for Chicago area shop that knows 335Ds!

I have a 2011 335D and looking for a knowledgeable shop in the Chicago area. Car needs carbon buildup cleaning (done once under CPO by dealer at 45K) but needs again at 106K. Also, my DFP indicator just went on and need that done. Based on what I’ve seen it appears “deletes” is the way to go of EGR and DFP. I’m an admitted novice on this so thank you in advance. Looking for increased reliability as opposed to tuning it for high performance. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 09:33 PM   #2
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

If you could get it to Denver. I could do it for you. If not there may be some closer places.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 10:51 AM   #3
ecarse
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

I'd be cautious about removing the emissions equipment, as I'm not sure you will get the car thru IL emissions testing. Deleting all the emissions controls are for "off-road use only" for a reason.

If you're not looking for increased performance, my mechanic in Schaumburg (who is fantastic) did a cleaning when I got the clogged DPF warning at 89K. We used the Liqui Moly DPF cleaning system, and after use, the codes cleared and my engine performance returned. The kit is about $380, and it's a more eco-friendly and cheaper solution than deleting all the equipment (or replacing the DPF!).

I will keep the kit (I suspect I'll need to re-clean the DPF in the future), but if you're interested, I could loan you the equipment and my mechanic could do the work. That way, you'd just need to buy about $70 for the solvents and pay for the cleaning to be done, probably $250 total. PM me if you're interested.

Also, at the risk of starting a posting storm, have you looked into diesel intake cleaners? I'll probably try that to reduce CBU before a head-off walnut blasting if it is on my dime. Sounds like they work pretty well, though I'd love to hear others' experiences.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 03:05 PM   #4
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

If you have dpf cleaned correctly than you wont have to do it for another 80 to 100k. I dont feel the dpf cleaner is 100% affective
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 02:01 PM   #5
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarse View Post
I'd be cautious about removing the emissions equipment, as I'm not sure you will get the car thru IL emissions testing. Deleting all the emissions controls are for "off-road use only" for a reason.

If you're not looking for increased performance, my mechanic in Schaumburg (who is fantastic) did a cleaning when I got the clogged DPF warning at 89K. We used the Liqui Moly DPF cleaning system, and after use, the codes cleared and my engine performance returned. The kit is about $380, and it's a more eco-friendly and cheaper solution than deleting all the equipment (or replacing the DPF!).

I will keep the kit (I suspect I'll need to re-clean the DPF in the future), but if you're interested, I could loan you the equipment and my mechanic could do the work. That way, you'd just need to buy about $70 for the solvents and pay for the cleaning to be done, probably $250 total. PM me if you're interested.

Also, at the risk of starting a posting storm, have you looked into diesel intake cleaners? I'll probably try that to reduce CBU before a head-off walnut blasting if it is on my dime. Sounds like they work pretty well, though I'd love to hear others' experiences.

Diesels don't go through emissions testing in IL so technically he can get away with it... but only "off road" use only

Anyway, OP, I am also looking for the same info. I know a guy in Peoria who has deleted multiple 335Ds but I don't have a reliable name in the Chicagoland area. I am also in contact with a backyard mechanic in Plainfield who wants to look into doing D deletes but I haven't really done anything with him yet.... still compiling the parts first.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 03:25 PM   #6
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaKii94 View Post
Diesels don't go through emissions testing in IL so technically he can get away with it... but only "off road" use only

Anyway, OP, I am also looking for the same info. I know a guy in Peoria who has deleted multiple 335Ds but I don't have a reliable name in the Chicagoland area. I am also in contact with a backyard mechanic in Plainfield who wants to look into doing D deletes but I haven't really done anything with him yet.... still compiling the parts first.
If you guys join the NABDOG facebook group, there is bound to be a few people in IL running deleted cars that can recommend a shop. This forum has almost no traffic
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2018, 03:23 PM   #7
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarse View Post
Can you share your mechanic? I'm in Schaumburg, and just started using 7th gear, which is a BMW-only shop over on Morse. My experience so far has been great.

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 02:55 PM   #8
ecarse
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Sorry, geko29, I didn't see this thread reply. I use Drew's Garage near the Motorola campus, off Algonquin. Drew is a brilliant mechanic, has solved several issues for me that no one else could figure out. Services everything from Hondas to old muscle cars to McLarens. I've used him for 10 years, I have nothing but great things to say.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 10:04 PM   #9
Pep423
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Try Fluid Motor Union in Naperville.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 11:12 AM   #10
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep423 View Post
Try Fluid Motor Union in Naperville.
That's where I wound up going for my CBU cleaning. VERY expensive (still cheaper than the dealer) but it seems like they did a good job.

Appreciate 0