E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 Oil Catch Can

04-20-2019, 06:01 PM   #1
MartinWake
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: CL55 AMG

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
N55 Oil Catch Can

Hey guys I see a lot of cars at my local car meets with catch cans and I got curious would it be good to install one on my 335i with the n55 engine? and do any of you guys have it? maybe you can tell your stories with it...

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 11:19 PM   #2
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

I added a BMS one. It's nice to have. I've never seen it fill up in the 3 years I've had it. It's usually pretty empty, but I'll find traces of unburned fuel and blow by after a year.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 06:31 PM   #3
DiFFv1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i l 328xi l X5M

I Made my own with Navy Helicopter Hose, Then bought a Catch Can with a Baffle

Works great! And depending on mods and how much boost your pushing you will be emptying it every 2 weeks to a month. It Varies on modifications ofcourse

Last edited by DiFFv1; 04-22-2019 at 07:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 06:33 PM   #4
MartinWake
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Oh alright thanks guys!
Appreciate 2
DiFFv189.50
B58guy14.00
      04-22-2019, 07:07 AM   #5
DiFFv1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i l 328xi l X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinWake View Post
Oh alright thanks guys!
No problem , Glad to help sir!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 04:19 PM   #6
wmuncaster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i PPK

I have the Mishimoto can. The can itself is well built and very sturdy; no complaints there. That being said, the hose kit that came with it was completely useless. The hose length and bends weren’t remotely near where they needed to be. Mishimoto claims the CC can be installed without cutting the vanity cover because their hoses are supposed to run all the way back to the firewall, do a U-turn around the back if the vanity cover and come back to the front of the coolant expansion tank. Not possible with the hoses that came with the kit...

I ended up buying my own hose, turning the OCC heater element 180°, cutting the vanity cover and running the hoses straight to the CC. The setup now looks exactly like the BMS install. The problem with running the hoses direct like that is that they do transmit some slight vibration to the chassis at idle. Some softer hoses would alleviate that issue.

Also, FWIW, I did contact Mishimoto and describe the poor hose figment. They responded by essentially telling me I’m “not installing it right” and to “watch the video”. With that kind of support, I won’t be buying their products in the future...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 04:28 PM   #7
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

Complete waste of money. I removed mine and will sell it cheap. i never found a drop of oil in mine during the 6 months or so I had it installed and for $300.00 it's a rip off to get plastic fittings and the hoses were collapsed and done after only a few months of use. Not to mention you have to be hercules to remove the bottom piece to see if there is oil in it.

I redid the hoses on mine and was about to install aluminum fittings but just decided to remove it.

This is how I ran mine, I used what I had from other projects but this "U hose" could work without the adapter if you just left one side long. I also used "bling" bolts to replace the crap hardware that came with it.

I'd suggest using this one and getting your own hose and even -AN fittings if you want to be fancy. It even has a dipstick.

https://www.ebay.com/i/201600784538?chn=ps

I used it on my other car and it worked great. I was just being lazy and got the Mishimoto

Last edited by 9krpmrx8; 05-09-2019 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 04:38 PM   #8
MartinWake
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9krpmrx8 View Post
Complete waste of money. I removed mine and will sell it cheap. i never found a drop of oil in mine during the 6 months or so I had it installed and for $300.00 it's a rip off to get plastic fittings and the hoses were collapsed and done after only a few months of use. Not to mention you have to be hercules to remove the bottom piece to see if there is oil in it.

I redid the hoses on mine and was about to install aluminum fittings but just decided to remove it.

This is how I ran mine, I used what I had from other projects but this "U hose" could work without the adapter if you just left one side long. I also used "bling" bolts to replace the crap hardware that came with it.

I'd suggest using this one and getting your own hose and even -AN fittings if you want to be fancy. It even has a dipstick.

https://www.ebay.com/i/201600784538?chn=ps

I used it on my other car and it worked great. I was just being lazy and got the Mishimoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmuncaster View Post
I have the Mishimoto can. The can itself is well built and very sturdy; no complaints there. That being said, the hose kit that came with it was completely useless. The hose length and bends weren’t remotely near where they needed to be. Mishimoto claims the CC can be installed without cutting the vanity cover because their hoses are supposed to run all the way back to the firewall, do a U-turn around the back if the vanity cover and come back to the front of the coolant expansion tank. Not possible with the hoses that came with the kit...

I ended up buying my own hose, turning the OCC heater element 180°, cutting the vanity cover and running the hoses straight to the CC. The setup now looks exactly like the BMS install. The problem with running the hoses direct like that is that they do transmit some slight vibration to the chassis at idle. Some softer hoses would alleviate that issue.

Also, FWIW, I did contact Mishimoto and describe the poor hose figment. They responded by essentially telling me I’m “not installing it right” and to “watch the video”. With that kind of support, I won’t be buying their products in the future...

Thanks for the input guys, I dont think I will be buying a catch can then from what I've seen it does not really make a big difference and the price plus the effort nah too lazy rn
Appreciate 0