E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Psssshhh CLANG CLANG CLANG %$@#ing rattles, just &@#$ off!

01-08-2015, 11:13 PM   #1
Scotty89
Buy a 335 they said... It'll be fun they said...
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Psssshhh CLANG CLANG CLANG %$@#ing rattles, just &@#$ off!

How the ****ing hell do you set the waste gate settings??

I have searched and searched, and then searched again. Then I got back on the computer and kept searching, until I searched some more before searching again

There is really no help! The JB4 should come with a manual that properly explains the purpose of these settings, because I can't find them anywhere.

The best I can find is spxxx's explanation on N54tech:

Quote:
10 = DWP = default wastegate position
- this is where the WG sits at 0% open throttle
- settings range from 0-100% (0-5 on tach)
- 0 = wide open , 5= almost closed? I think
- 0 = wastegate further from closing and less chance of rattling but longer time to close and more lag.
- 5 = WG almost closed = better throttle response = more likely to rattle (but all cars vary)
Quote:
12 = partial throttle WG position
- settings range from 2-4 (around there)
- can be no more than 2 times your DWP setting
- lower value = WG forced further open at partial throttle = less rattle (usually)
- higher value = WG closer to being closed at partial throttle = more rattle & better throttle response
- too high of a value = chances of surging boost and (3.2 is nice for throttle response but often creates rattle)
Mine was ONLY rattling on light acceleration (between 2000-2500) with part throttle applied and I found it was best with both 10 & 12 set at very high values.

I think I might have even set them above what was listed as the 'maximum' value

Nonetheless this made the throttle very edgy, and I could hear the turbo's spooling at 2000 - the car felt great performance wise. Instant boost, no sluggishness, just awesomeness.

Anyway, recently I've noticed the JB4 is switching to map 4, and I never seemed to catch it when it does so (no codes, and don't recall seeing it flash/double flash).

I did some logs and found that on map 5 with FBO + 25% E85 the boost was spiking to 19psi AFTER letting off the throttle.

Driving the car I didn't feel any problems with it, but I guess it keeps triggering the overboost safety feature.

My question is, since most people have less rattle at lower values (and on deceleration not acceleration)...

It seems the logic (to me) would be to set both values as high as possible, and then lower them slightly, testing and repeating until you find a setting that does not rattle but offers the least lag performance-wise.

Well... if I have the opposite problem, where low values make RATATATCLANG CLANG CLANG noises... do I just keep upping the values until it's bearable? It's so embarrassing.

Without having a complete understanding, I picture this in my head as setting the WG limits to the point that their default values won't let them open enough to allow exhaust gas to bypass the turbine when it's really necessary...? (Yes/No/Maybe?)

So eventually with high enough value settings the WG's will be always spooling the turbo's, basically just above idle because gas can't escape the turbine.

Is this a problem? Will it create so much unnecessary work for the turbo's that they will just die altogether in another 10,000km's...?

If the settings are that high that it's causing boost spikes that exceed the safety setting, yet there appears to be normal driving experience and seemingly no problems...

Can I just raise the safety limit (to say 20psi?) to stop the JB4 from auto switching to map 4?

What do I do?

Also I read the settings as 4000rpm = 80%, yet when I opened the JB4 interface on my laptop, menu 12 had a value of 132 ??

Also, since my problem seemed to be a spike after releasing throttle - does it suggest my OEM diverter valves are not releasing pressure quick enough?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 11:30 PM   #2
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Boost spike is normal once you let off the throttle.

Regarding wastegate, all you need is 5-10 minutes in a quiet car park to find the correct settings to reduce the rattle. I have my menu 12 maxed and menu 10 on 76. I get very little to no wastegate rattle.

Maybe you mean the FF component was set to 132.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2015, 11:54 PM   #3
MO3
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: DCT M3

Wastegate rattle was the thing the I hated the most about my 335. To be honest, it made feel embarrassed at times!
      01-09-2015, 12:01 AM   #4
Scotty89
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4-335 View Post

Regarding wastegate, all you need is 5-10 minutes in a quiet car park to find the correct settings to reduce the rattle. I have my menu 12 maxed and menu 10 on 76. I get very little to no wastegate rattle.

So at coasting (no throttle) your waste gates have enough clearance at 76% closure to not contact anything - Is this how I translate your menu 10 setting?

And then as soon as you press even light throttle the waste gates immediately close?

Edit: Wow... it really works. I must have been doing things wrong because I noticed if you set menu 12 to anything higher than 4000, it resets to the default setting which is rubbish. So I've set 76 & 80 and it didn't rattle at all driving home! Woohoo!!

Last edited by Scotty89; 01-09-2015 at 02:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 02:19 AM   #5
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man

Menu 12 resets at 4k cause its very very high and undesirable to drive with. Terry capped it at 4k after having it available to 5k too many people had issues setting them.
Menu 10 will get rid of bulk of the rattle and overall response then play with menu 12 until you find the sweet spot between response and drivability.

My settings on stock were 10-32
12-27
Wastegates still rattled.
Another reason why jb4 is better over cobb with all the features to fine tune yourself
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 06:45 AM   #6
Mayuri Krab
The Cheap Arse Asian
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & R33 Skyline GTS-T

Mine didn't seem to make any difference no matter what setting I put.

So now I just learnt to drive with the rattle, which is not noticeable once you have the windows up.

I have driven it with it rattling away for over 1/2 year now, no issues so far.

Actually I think the rattle gives the car 'character' Lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 06:53 AM   #7
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
what should the default settings (on tacho) for map 10 and map 12??
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 10:30 AM   #8
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/Mk4 Supra/X6M

I don't know why you guys care so much about waiste gate rattle, bad ass cars make funky sounds, it's always been like that... wait till you have enough power to need a twin/triple plate clutch.. you will love that rattle/chatter...lol
      01-09-2015, 11:01 AM   #9
lemonpark
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: '08 335i E92

I don't even know if my car "waste gate rattles" or not, I don't hear anything that people describe, and I live in an apartment so I should be able to hear something odd because it's quiet most of the time in the carpark, I think Worx played around with my JB4 settings before and either got rid of it or something lol cos the only time i played with setting 10 and 12 was when my car was having that map4 issue but not anymore
JB4 G5 ISO | BMS Backend Flash | Alpina B3 TCU Flash | AR Design Catless DP | BMS DCI | ER CP | Turbosmart Race Port BOV | Muffler Delete | H&R Sport Springs | BMS Cowl | BMW Performance Alcantara Wheel | M3 DCT Paddles | Muse Concept and Design Interior | 19" GTC-CX | M3 Lip Spoiler | Zieg CF Rear Diffuser | Flow Designs Front Lip | Black Grill | RGB LED Angel Eyes | 8000K HID |
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2015, 02:02 PM   #10
Mayuri Krab
The Cheap Arse Asian
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & R33 Skyline GTS-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
what should the default settings (on tacho) for map 10 and map 12??
Default values for JB4 are:

Tacho 10 = 4k
Tacho 12 = 2.5k

93 R33 Skyline GTS-T |SAFC-II piggyback|3" Turbo Back Exhaust + Highflow Cat|FMIC|Boost Tee|Apexi POD| Shitty Chinese spec tires = sideways action everywhere
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2015, 03:28 PM   #11
Scotty89
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayuri Krab View Post
Mine didn't seem to make any difference no matter what setting I put.

So now I just learnt to drive with the rattle, which is not noticeable once you have the windows up.

I have driven it with it rattling away for over 1/2 year now, no issues so far.

Actually I think the rattle gives the car 'character' Lol.
Does yours rattle on gentle acceleration, or rattling on deceleration while coasting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeS View Post
I don't know why you guys care so much about waiste gate rattle, bad ass cars make funky sounds, it's always been like that... wait till you have enough power to need a twin/triple plate clutch.. you will love that rattle/chatter...lol
You must not have the rattle like we do... it's so bad it'd attract unwanted attention from police. It's not that insignificant that I could just 'ignore' it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonpark View Post
I don't even know if my car "waste gate rattles" or not, I don't hear anything that people describe, and I live in an apartment so I should be able to hear something odd because it's quiet most of the time in the carpark, I think Worx played around with my JB4 settings before and either got rid of it or something lol cos the only time i played with setting 10 and 12 was when my car was having that map4 issue but not anymore
It's a very fast rattle (not a vibration), mine sounded like a whipper snipper slapping a metal shed/fence post.

It might be completely harmless, but it makes the car sound so unhealthy.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2015, 04:12 PM   #12
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty89 View Post
You must not have the rattle like we do... it's so bad it'd attract unwanted attention from police. It's not that insignificant that I could just 'ignore' it.
It's a very fast rattle (not a vibration), mine sounded like a whipper snipper slapping a metal shed/fence post.
It might be completely harmless, but it makes the car sound so unhealthy.
So were not talking the normal upgraded N54 waistgate rattle.. your cars just have soem demon posessed waiste gate?
was there a vid of the sound? i cant see from my work..
      01-09-2015, 04:27 PM   #13
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeS View Post
So were not talking the normal upgraded N54 waistgate rattle.. your cars just have soem demon posessed waiste gate?
was there a vid of the sound? i cant see from my work..
?????

This is the most common issue for the n54 engine.
It is loud, annoying and embarrassing.
There are literally hundreds of videos on youtube.

Using JB4 can mask the rattle sound to a certain point but it will eventually not be able to mask it anymore, the material used on the wastegates and actuator arm they are prone to rattling even on a brand new set of oem turbos.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 04:32 PM   #14
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonpark View Post
You would know if it rattles especially in an underground car park or quite enclosed space.

This is why i got RB's but after a year or so i realised it was the boost solenoids that caused the wastegates to rattle.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2015, 04:52 PM   #15
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brule View Post
?????

This is the most common issue for the n54 engine.
It is loud, annoying and embarrassing.
There are literally hundreds of videos on youtube.

Using JB4 can mask the rattle sound to a certain point but it will eventually not be able to mask it anymore, the material used on the wastegates and actuator arm they are prone to rattling even on a brand new set of oem turbos.
I guess you didn't comprehend my post...my post was a question,, I know the N54 has this problem,,,,it shouldnt bother at all it isnt that loud.. unless you never drove a modified car..
it is actually quite subtle...
I was asking if the Op's car happened to be much louder then everyone else.. (hence the request for a video of ops car)...because they are all mostly quite subtle..(the rattle it really is no big deal...)
if you ever get near a highly modified car you will see the more crazy the cars get the more shaky noises and rattles they make..
stiffer chassis/twin/triple plate clutches/waistegates/turbos...aftermarket susp...all create lots of noise... just get used to it.. its not a bad thing...

there is such a thing as good loud noisy cars..
quick fix? get a louder exhaust..fast cars deserve to be heard..
      01-09-2015, 05:04 PM   #16
Scotty89
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I don't think you have heard the waste gate rattles in person then - as it is quite loud.

Louder than my exhaust with down pipes.

There is a difference between modified car noises, and unhealthy car noises.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 07:13 PM   #17
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayuri Krab View Post
Default values for JB4 are:

Tacho 10 = 4k
Tacho 12 = 2.5k
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 07:24 PM   #18
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4-335 View Post

JB what are menu 12 maxed and menu 10 at 76 on the taco?
Mine were set at 2.2 menu 12 and 3.4 menu 10 (on the taco)
Have set them at 2.5 menu 12 and 4.0 menu 10

I don't have a WG rattle problem but it would be nice to have the settings correctly set for best performance
Any advice??
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 07:34 PM   #19
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty89 View Post
I don't think you have heard the waste gate rattles in person then - as it is quite loud.

Louder than my exhaust with down pipes.

There is a difference between modified car noises, and unhealthy car noises.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
JonEQuest246.00
      01-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #20
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
JB what are menu 12 maxed and menu 10 at 76 on the taco?
Mine were set at 2.2 menu 12 and 3.4 menu 10 (on the taco)
Have set them at 2.5 menu 12 and 4.0 menu 10

I don't have a WG rattle problem but it would be nice to have the settings correctly set for best performance
Any advice??
When Terry made the menus he suggested to play with them and adjust until your happy with the feeling/response.

He also explained if you go to far one way or the other or mis match them you will have throttle oscillations and abrupt boost tip in.

I 90% sure that this is only affecting moderate throttle not WOT, it would be just the same performance/HP at WOT whatever the settings.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 07:54 PM   #21
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brule View Post
When Terry made the menus he suggested to play with them and adjust until your happy with the feeling/response.

He also explained if you go to far one way or the other or mis match them you will have throttle oscillations and abrupt boost tip in.

I 90% sure that this is only affecting moderate throttle not WOT, it would be just the same performance/HP at WOT whatever the settings.
Thanks Brule
Krabs suggested that the default settings are 4 and 2.5 (on taco)
Have set the car on his suggestion, just wondering what others have theirs set on by default
On the topic how will the car behave with throttle oscillations? I assume it will surge is that right? and abrupt boost tip in? I assume it will feel like an old turbo kick is that right??
Any danger to the engine if the settings are not quite right?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 08:16 PM   #22
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

First thing you need to do is work out exactly when it rattles. Is it on deceleration or light throttle.

Menu 10 relates to DWP during idle or very slight throttle.

Menu 12 is the BDC when you are under a little more load/tip in.

Go to low with Menu 10 and you'll experience lag. Go to high with Menu 12 and the car will surge.
Appreciate 0