E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cobb AP3 stage 2 disappointment

04-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #23
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthbombing View Post
Im not sure if COBB has the same parameters but your going to want to monitor everything you have in the last log plus STFT 1 and 2, Lambada Bank 2, Timing Corrections for all 6 cylinders, HPFP and LPFP. Correct, AFR is your (Air to Fuel Ratio) which is your "Lambada", many things can cause this to change but the big ones are O2 sensors, and fueling, i would get another log including this other stuff so we can see how your fueling is.

BTW Cobb hasn't supported this platform for years, there are way better options out there for OTS tunes (MHD and JB4)
Thanks again, so I remember reading that Cobb stopped supporting the BMW so I was surprised when I logged the AP3 in to the site for the first time last night that there were new maps dated Jan 2019 for my car. I did flash the latest 4.0.4 Stage 1+ FMIC Sport ST onto my car this morning but traffic was heavy and couldn't even hardly boost; so no logging this morning, will try again this afternoon.

For O2 sensor issues, is it as simple as replacing the O2 sensors? Also I was in the AP3 thing this morning and was able to click to add almost everything you said. I didn't select STFT and Lambada since I wasn't sure what they were but I will do that this afternoon. Appreciate all the info.
      04-24-2019, 02:55 PM   #24
Stealthbombing
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_sojah View Post
Thanks again, so I remember reading that Cobb stopped supporting the BMW so I was surprised when I logged the AP3 in to the site for the first time last night that there were new maps dated Jan 2019 for my car. I did flash the latest 4.0.4 Stage 1+ FMIC Sport ST onto my car this morning but traffic was heavy and couldn't even hardly boost; so no logging this morning, will try again this afternoon.

For O2 sensor issues, is it as simple as replacing the O2 sensors? Also I was in the AP3 thing this morning and was able to click to add almost everything you said. I didn't select STFT and Lambada since I wasn't sure what they were but I will do that this afternoon. Appreciate all the info.
Have you replaced your O2 sensors ? how many KM on the car ? usually they either fail completely or you will get a code. Yes you will need the STFT turned on, they may call it something else but essentially its your Short Term Fuel Trims. How is your idle ?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 03:19 PM   #25
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Have you replaced your O2 sensors ? how many KM on the car ? usually they either fail completely or you will get a code. Yes you will need the STFT turned on, they may call it something else but essentially its your Short Term Fuel Trims. How is your idle ?
Car has 55k km or 34k miles. never had O2 issues until replacing the DP's and now I get O2 errors but I assumed it was from the DP's like I have read others say on some forums.

I can easily buy and replace the O2 sensors, anything special to note there or just replace with factory OEM O2 sensors?

I think I did see them called STFT on the Cobb, have to check later. Idle is fine. I recently replaced the coils and plugs after getting an error and blowing one of the plugs, but they were original factory and probably time to replace since the car is a 2011.

I also got to see inside the manifold thing the other day and it had a little buildup but wasn't necessary for walnut blast yet. I was going to wait a year (about 6k more miles) and then do the walnut blasting.

So does this mean i should replace all 4 sensors? the two in front and the two in the rear??

Last edited by rusty_sojah; 04-24-2019 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 05:08 PM   #26
Stealthbombing
Private
Rep

Quote:
Car has 55k km or 34k miles. never had O2 issues until replacing the DP's and now I get O2 errors but I assumed it was from the DP's like I have read others say on some forums.

I can easily buy and replace the O2 sensors, anything special to note there or just replace with factory OEM O2 sensors?

I think I did see them called STFT on the Cobb, have to check later. Idle is fine. I recently replaced the coils and plugs after getting an error and blowing one of the plugs, but they were original factory and probably time to replace since the car is a 2011.

I also got to see inside the manifold thing the other day and it had a little buildup but wasn't necessary for walnut blast yet. I was going to wait a year (about 6k more miles) and then do the walnut blasting.

So does this mean i should replace all 4 sensors? the two in front and the two in the rear??
I wouldn’t jump on replacing the sensors yet, they are fairly new, if in fact it is your O2 sensors you only need to change the upstream ones, the downstream sensors do not determine AFR. Grab a log with those parameters I told you first so we can look at your fuelling and we can go from there.

And yes if you have catless downpipes you will get a shadow code, most tuners will just hide this - it’s irrelevant.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2019, 02:03 PM   #27
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn’t jump on replacing the sensors yet, they are fairly new, if in fact it is your O2 sensors you only need to change the upstream ones, the downstream sensors do not determine AFR. Grab a log with those parameters I told you first so we can look at your fuelling and we can go from there.

And yes if you have catless downpipes you will get a shadow code, most tuners will just hide this - it’s irrelevant.
so i added all those parameters you mentioned and headed off down the road. just as I was about to do a nice long 3rd gear datalog i hit the button and it said i had like 20 too many parameters selected and wouldn't allow me to datalog.

i had all the previous ones in my file selected plus the new ones. not sure how many is max but i guess i need to be real selective in what I select. hate to keep bugging you but do you know if some of the ones i had selected are not relevant and I can remove them in favor of the others i added?

so further down the road yesterday on my way home from work i screwed a coil. the coil was new (2 months old and about 1000 miles). not sure why this would occur so i finished my drive home and swapped it out for one of the original ones I had just replaced 2 months ago and all good now i suppose. i got all new bosch coils from amazon 2 months ago when i got the initial cylinder misfire errors and figured it was a coil, but this time it was on a different cylinder though at least.
      04-25-2019, 02:13 PM   #28
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
so i added all those parameters you mentioned and headed off down the road. just as I was about to do a nice long 3rd gear datalog i hit the button and it said i had like 20 too many parameters selected and wouldn't allow me to datalog.

i had all the previous ones in my file selected plus the new ones. not sure how many is max but i guess i need to be real selective in what I select. hate to keep bugging you but do you know if some of the ones i had selected are not relevant and I can remove them in favor of the others i added?

so further down the road yesterday on my way home from work i screwed a coil. the coil was new (2 months old and about 1000 miles). not sure why this would occur so i finished my drive home and swapped it out for one of the original ones I had just replaced 2 months ago and all good now i suppose. i got all new bosch coils from amazon 2 months ago when i got the initial cylinder misfire errors and figured it was a coil, but this time it was on a different cylinder though at least.
Add what he said here;

Quote:
Im not sure if COBB has the same parameters but your going to want to monitor everything you have in the last log plus STFT 1 and 2, Lambada Bank 2, Timing Corrections for all 6 cylinders, HPFP and LPFP. Correct, AFR is your (Air to Fuel Ratio) which is your "Lambada", many things can cause this to change but the big ones are O2 sensors, and fueling, i would get another log including this other stuff so we can see how your fueling is.

BTW Cobb hasn't supported this platform for years, there are way better options out there for OTS tunes (MHD and JB4)
From your previous log you can remove;

Time
Boost Mean
Load Requested
Req Boost Abs PSI
WGDC after Pid

See if it lets you after that and then upload it to datazap website
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2019, 03:32 PM   #29
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew View Post
Add what he said here;

From your previous log you can remove;

Time
Boost Mean
Load Requested
Req Boost Abs PSI
WGDC after Pid

See if it lets you after that and then upload it to datazap website
Sweet, thank you for the info, will do that later this afternoon.
      04-25-2019, 05:00 PM   #30
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Thanks Jeff. So the car does have everything Cobb recommends for their Stage 2 map which is what I was following on their site; VRSF 5" FMIC with lower CP, upper vrsf CP with HKS BOV, DCI, Cobb high flow catted DP's and the 335is Performance Exhaust.

I understand that it won't feel like a significant gain but it feels noticeably slower for me going from Stage 1+ Sport to Stage 2+ Sport. I think the Stage 2+ Sport map is needing higher octane even though the Cobb site says 91 recommended...

My car feels aggressive on Stage 1+ Sport, felt sluggish and slower on Stage 2+ Sport, and now feels fast and aggressive again on Stage 1+ Sport.
Upload datalogs of both maps on datazap.me

With any OTS maps, they always have room for improvement.

As far as the 5" FMIC, although it's an upgrade over stock, it's possible it's just not enough to combat the intake air temps. A true cold air intake may help too but the FMIC does more for cooling. The logs will tell us what's going on.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 06:04 PM   #31
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post

As far as the 5" FMIC, although it's an upgrade over stock, it's possible it's just not enough to combat the intake air temps. A true cold air intake may help too but the FMIC does more for cooling. The logs will tell us what's going on.
Got it! So what can you do shipped to Honolulu (96814) for a 7" FMIC, also what type of CAI do you recommend, like what brand or style, so i can get an idea of a future course of action. the one i have now is the Kohlefaser Luft-Technik Carbon Fiber Enclosed Dual Cone Intake, here: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...l-cone-intake/ but i feel like it is more for show...

what about stock location high flow inlets, do you think they would do more for air than changing out the CAI or larger FMIC??
      04-25-2019, 09:58 PM   #32
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Okay i did a decent 3rd gear pull to about 6k rpm then came up on traffic but got the log and ran it through datazap.me and i think i understand some of that site but still don't really know what it all means. thanks for the recommendation and for taking a look.

https://datazap.me/u/b3rusty/25-apr-...ta=1-2-3-4-5-6

BTW cylinder 1 is the one that fouled the new coil yesterday and it looks to be the only cylinder having timing correction issues. what could be causing this??
      04-26-2019, 06:49 AM   #33
type-dRew
Major
Rep

Okay, there is no boost on that graph, so if you need to delete some;

Time
Timing cor. cat/ect
Lambda value afr

Delete those and add boost and boost target as well as load actual if you can. Ambient pressure would be nice if you can add that also

Your afr looks right, your short terms are adding quite a bit, is it straight 91 in the tank or is there any ethanol content?

Timing corrections look alright, but having a shift in there would paint a better picture.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #34
Stealthbombing
Private
Rep

Quote:
Okay i did a decent 3rd gear pull to about 6k rpm then came up on traffic but got the log and ran it through datazap.me and i think i understand some of that site but still don't really know what it all means. thanks for the recommendation and for taking a look.

https://datazap.me/u/b3rusty/25-apr-...ta=1-2-3-4-5-6

BTW cylinder 1 is the one that fouled the new coil yesterday and it looks to be the only cylinder having timing correction issues. what could be causing this??
Yup there is no boost being logged so turn off everything that dRew said and if there is room log your load req, load act, boost, boost target. The AFR's look much better, i still would like to see them in the 11s rather than 12s but they are way better than 14-16 like you were getting. STFT is adding quite a bit, normally people like to see these under 10% but just because your over doesn't mean you have a problem. LPFP needs to be above 70 at all times which you hit, HPFP will need to see in correlation to your boost so i cant comment on that right now.

Once you have all the right parameters being logged we can take a better look at it.

Also Inlets will increase airflow with the proper tuning, i wouldn't worry about getting a "CAI" as the gains are minimal compared to just Cone filters. An Inter cooler will provide better cooling than any intake will and is a good mod to do.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2019, 06:30 PM   #35
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Time
Timing cor. cat/ect
Lambda value afr

Delete those and add boost and boost target as well as load actual if you can. Ambient pressure would be nice if you can add that also

Your afr looks right, your short terms are adding quite a bit, is it straight 91 in the tank or is there any ethanol content?

Timing corrections look alright, but having a shift in there would paint a better picture.
i fill up with 92 at the Costco here in Honolulu (i was just told by our local FB Euro group that it is actually e10 fuel but the sticker says 92) and it doesn't have anything saying anything about ethanol added like i have seen at other pumps back in the main US.

hopefully will get another log here shortly with those additional datapoints, thanks.

Last edited by rusty_sojah; 04-27-2019 at 04:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 08:54 PM   #36
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yup there is no boost being logged so turn off everything that dRew said and if there is room log your load req, load act, boost, boost target. The AFR's look much better, i still would like to see them in the 11s rather than 12s but they are way better than 14-16 like you were getting. STFT is adding quite a bit, normally people like to see these under 10% but just because your over doesn't mean you have a problem. LPFP needs to be above 70 at all times which you hit, HPFP will need to see in correlation to your boost so i cant comment on that right now.

Once you have all the right parameters being logged we can take a better look at it.

Also Inlets will increase airflow with the proper tuning, i wouldn't worry about getting a "CAI" as the gains are minimal compared to just Cone filters. An Inter cooler will provide better cooling than any intake will and is a good mod to do.
1st is just another 3rd gear pull from about 2500-6k+ rpm
https://datazap.me/u/b3rusty/26-apr-...og=0&data=1-12

2nd was from stopped to the next block/stoplight then again, but kept breaking traction due to road imperfections so had to feather throttle:

https://datazap.me/u/b3rusty/26-apr-...g=0&data=1-2-3
      04-27-2019, 11:00 AM   #37
Stealthbombing
Private
Rep

Quote:
1st is just another 3rd gear pull from about 2500-6k+ rpm
https://datazap.me/u/b3rusty/26-apr-...og=0&data=1-12

2nd was from stopped to the next block/stoplight then again, but kept breaking traction due to road imperfections so had to feather throttle:

https://datazap.me/u/b3rusty/26-apr-...g=0&data=1-2-3
Your still missing Load Actual in the log (it might be called something else under the COBB App). AFR's look okay in both logs, like earlier i still think they should be closer into the 11s, you're STFT are adding quite a bit of fuel and half way through the one log STFT 2 is sitting pretty much at 0 while Bank 1 is adding up to ~15% (these shouldn't vary much more than 10% of each other). Im hoping someone else can chime in on your HPFP and LPFP as im not sure why the high pressure is slowing decreasing in psi as the boost goes up. Would be hard to pin point a problem still,
Appreciate 2
      04-29-2019, 10:15 PM   #38
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

alright alright i got load actual and load requested on here now. i wasn't happy with either of these short runs though, my commute is not ideal for being able to do this sort of thing as there is traffic and what not.

1st is another 3rd gear pull getting on the highway until i came up on traffic
https://datazap.me/u/b3rusty/29-apr-...=0&data=1-2-13

2nd is from stopped at a light but i have to go slow through the intersection because of bumps since it breaks traction if i launch to fast going through this particular intersection.
https://datazap.me/u/b3rusty/29-apr-...-8&mark=26-128

thanks for looking and making recommendations.... so if all looks good to you guys i will put stage 2+fmic Sport ST map back on tomorrow and see if i can't best these numbers this time.
      04-30-2019, 10:41 AM   #39
Stealthbombing
Private
Rep

Quote:
alright alright i got load actual and load requested on here now. i wasn't happy with either of these short runs though, my commute is not ideal for being able to do this sort of thing as there is traffic and what not.

2nd is from stopped at a light but i have to go slow through the intersection because of bumps since it breaks traction if i launch to fast going through this particular intersection.

thanks for looking and making recommendations.... so if all looks good to you guys i will put stage 2+fmic Sport ST map back on tomorrow and see if i can't best these numbers this time.
Your load isnt meeting requested (this could be why it feels slow). Now why that is happening i am not sure, hopefully someone else can chime in here. AFR looks okay, You are definitely adding quite a bit of fuel just judging by your STFT's.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2019, 06:04 PM   #40
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

any suggestions as to what is up with the actual load vs load requested?

Last edited by rusty_sojah; 04-30-2019 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 06:04 PM   #41
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Time
Timing cor. cat/ect
Lambda value afr

any suggestions as to what is what with the actual load vs load requested.

Last edited by rusty_sojah; 04-30-2019 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 09:20 AM   #42
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
any suggestions as to what is what with the actual load vs load requested.

Looks like you are where you should be in terms of Stage 1+ boost. 16 psi peak tapering down to 11-12 psi on a OTS map.

Add timing, IAT, RPM to your logs.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2019, 01:00 PM   #43
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Looks like you are where you should be in terms of Stage 1+ boost. 16 psi peak tapering down to 11-12 psi on a OTS map.

Add timing, IAT, RPM to your logs.
unfortunately i can't add anymore datapoints at the moment without removing one. i tried this and it says max.

my concern now is that before my VRSF CP & HKS BOV i could hit 18 PSI consistently and occasionally 19.3-5 and my torques (although probably not accurate) were about 50 higher consistently before or rather 7-8% more torques.

it seems that there may be a small boost leak after installing the VRSF CP & HKS BOV so i am probably going to sell this and go with a the stock DV's with probably another VRSF CP. unless you guys got better recommendations, as this plan seems like the easiest.
      05-01-2019, 01:41 PM   #44
type-dRew
Major
Rep

Quote:
unfortunately i can't add anymore datapoints at the moment without removing one. i tried this and it says max.

my concern now is that before my VRSF CP & HKS BOV i could hit 18 PSI consistently and occasionally 19.3-5 and my torques (although probably not accurate) were about 50 higher consistently before or rather 7-8% more torques.

it seems that there may be a small boost leak after installing the VRSF CP & HKS BOV so i am probably going to sell this and go with a the stock DV's with probably another VRSF CP. unless you guys got better recommendations, as this plan seems like the easiest.
Almost worth buying MHD 'monitor pack' only to get more data points for your logs.

You dont have to buy the license, just the $50 monitor pack and you can log all necessities.

That said, you can still get rid of 'time' on your current setup and add one more.

Are you logging more/different parameters on the main monitor screen? I know on my step fathers Focus RS his cobb counts those as monitors and wont datalog more points if any extra ones of those are selected that dont match the datalog requested pids.
New setup; Covid 19Ts on RFP 93 + ARM inlets, dp, VTT cp and PSP outlets
Appreciate 0