E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Official Minnesota Chat Thread

Closed Thread

02-18-2010, 09:59 AM   #133
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 | E30 | E28 | E24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick.CBR View Post
Also agree. I think it's a great mod for consistancy and a great mod to just make everything work better and more efficient. But, I want power outta my stock setup As they say, stock rocks! It's all about the cheater parts

j/k that is a horrible thing to say about modding such a great car but honestly, I don't see meth as a huge hack like I would N2O. I guess I'm biased though because I want meth.

Three weeks to get a kit made and you have to pay up front though; I'm not down with that.

Nick
Be careful Nick, I fear you are developing an unhealthy addiction to meth
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #134
ajvee
Major
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRL-MN View Post
Be careful Nick, I fear you are developing an unhealthy addiction to meth

HAHAHAHA. Don't worry Nick, I will be on call to perform an intervention.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #135
MN BMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Montego 328

Does any one have these?

http://accessories.bmwusa.com/ItemVi...&productId=895

I'm think about getting them for the back and the rear side windows. Mainly its for the kid. They are a bit spendy, but "you usually get what you pay for" Just curious about the quality etc...

Thanks,
Brad
      02-18-2010, 09:07 PM   #136
MN BMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Red face

This is going to sound really bad...I never even thought about TINT!
      02-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #137
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

The Minnesota Tint Law is 50% on every single piece of glass, even the backs. The only problem (solution) is...most cops don't even know the law, so you could likely get away with telling them the back windows are legal.

Mine is 20% on every window..including the windshield. I've had this setup on every vehicle...it really makes driving in the sun much more joyful! I first did it this way for the aesthetics, but now I do it for the comfort!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 09:58 PM   #138
ajvee
Major
Rep

Awesome side profile picture Brian! It is pictures like these that encourage me to consider a 4 door M3 sedan sometime in the future. Is this blasphemy Nick?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 10:04 PM   #139
ktan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5

hey anyone interested in moderating mnbmw.com? I guess it attracts a lot of local members, would love to get it up and running
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 11:10 PM   #140
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=351044&page=3

I'm tellin' yeah man, I think this stuff is the way to go

I'm not hatin' on FMIC's at all, I just think for what I want to do, it's the way to go. If we lived in S. FLA then yes, FMIC would have to be on list right next to an upgraded OC as well!

Nick
OK, we'll hold off on an intervention for a little while longer

So what's your plan now? Are you looking at another vendor given the 3 week wait / money up front?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 11:14 PM   #141
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN BMW View Post
Does any one have these?

http://accessories.bmwusa.com/ItemVi...&productId=895

I'm think about getting them for the back and the rear side windows. Mainly its for the kid. They are a bit spendy, but "you usually get what you pay for" Just curious about the quality etc...

Thanks,
Brad
I'm sure they are pretty good quality, well, they would want to be for that money! It could be a hassle to put these up and down, like for night driving as I assume the door blinds don't retract into the door like the factory ones? I was looking through the forum here at the retrofit kit for the electric sunblinds, but even they don't look as slick as the factory fitted option. It's one of those options I didn't think about at the time, but in hindsight it would have been a good idea!

I think tints would be a better route.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 11:25 PM   #142
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktan View Post
hey anyone interested in moderating mnbmw.com? I guess it attracts a lot of local members, would love to get it up and running
I drop in there most days, and agree it would be cool to get it up and running. Has there ever been a member meet? Our thread here only really took off once everyone met up!

How many mods are you looking for?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 12:21 AM   #143
BSME90
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2007 328xi  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN BMW View Post
For the money you spend on that, I would rather go the tint route.
I've got 35% on all but the windshield. However, this spring, I am going redoing the tint for 20% all around. I also have had dark tint on all my previous cars.

Hey, Brian, who did tinted your windshield?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 12:28 AM   #144
BSME90
Captain
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2007 328xi  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
The Minnesota Tint Law is 50% on every single piece of glass, even the backs. The only problem (solution) is...most cops don't even know the law, so you could likely get away with telling them the back windows are legal.
Haha, maybe I live in the wrong part of Minnesota. I've been pulled over for my 35% tint twice. One warning, one ticket, both from state police. But from my experience, state troopers (with the addition of Eden Prairie) are the only ones who are a bit strict on the tint law. Maybe it's because they get curious and intrigued with a black out bmw.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 09:06 AM   #145
ktan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRL-MN View Post
I drop in there most days, and agree it would be cool to get it up and running. Has there ever been a member meet? Our thread here only really took off once everyone met up!

How many mods are you looking for?
Just 1 for now. if you get a chance to stop by I'll give you admin rights and show you what you have to do ... approving members is the main thing it gets about 10/week
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #146
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktan View Post
Just 1 for now. if you get a chance to stop by I'll give you admin rights and show you what you have to do ... approving members is the main thing it gets about 10/week
OK, I'll see if I can stop by early next week. I should be about ready to order wheels & tires then too, just need to decide on offsets
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 11:16 AM   #147
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Mine is 20% on every window..including the windshield. I've had this setup on every vehicle...it really makes driving in the sun much more joyful! I first did it this way for the aesthetics, but now I do it for the comfort!
I just noticed the prokart sticker on your car - we may have to rethink a kart meet as I'm guessing you'd hammer us all
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #148
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSME90 View Post
For the money you spend on that, I would rather go the tint route.
I've got 35% on all but the windshield. However, this spring, I am going redoing the tint for 20% all around. I also have had dark tint on all my previous cars.

Hey, Brian, who did tinted your windshield?
Hey Martin, did you decide what you are doing for wheels yet?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 11:20 AM   #149
MN BMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

OH trust me, the cops know the law...I've been busted 3 times with 30% on my old ride (rear & sides). Same with a good friend of mine! Every time I got a ticket, everytime it has been at night when the windows look even darker. If I tint, I'll just do 50% maybe 40%. Like you said, for comfort!

Brad
      02-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #150
MN BMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
Awesome side profile picture Brian! It is pictures like these that encourage me to consider a 4 door M3 sedan sometime in the future. Is this blasphemy Nick?
Go for it Anvar! I've loved the 4 door M3 since the E36 M3 sedan (I've been keeping my eye out for a nice used one for a "work" car). I wish I could spring for a E90 M3 right now. They seem like mini M5s! Which is the best I can currently hope for!
      02-19-2010, 12:53 PM   #151
BSME90
Captain
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2007 328xi  [9.00]
Quote:
Man nobody knows the tint laws. How come an Audi wagon can have super dark back tint but a sedan can't? I mean it's ridiculous. Anyway, I love tint but it's too much of a cop magnet for me. I have enough issues as it is...
You hiding something in the trunk?? jk
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #152
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Man nobody knows the tint laws. How come an Audi wagon can have super dark back tint but a sedan can't? I mean it's ridiculous. Anyway, I love tint but it's too much of a cop magnet for me. I have enough issues as it is...

Nick
Good point! How about all the minivans and SUVs that come from the factory with tint on the rear windows?

Sounds like Eden Praire is strictest on this and front plate enforcement, so as long as I live there I'm not going to bother.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #153
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quote:

Nick
That's where the discrepancy lies. Many vehicles come from the factory with 'shaded glass' that is equivalent to 20% tint. (20% of light can get through the window)

So, If you are rollin in a car with 50% front windows, and 20% back windows, (which looks ugly) then you might be in a position to convince the cop that the rears are legal at 20%. The same argument is used for panel vans...

However, If the cop feels like being a dick, then he'll just say it has to be 50% on all glass and send you on your way.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #154
ajvee
Major
Rep

I apologize for this question as I have no idea whatsoever abour tints.

Is a 20% tint less dark than a 50% tint? If so, then why is the minnesota law for 50% tint?

No worries Nick, I did some quick browsing through the M3 post photo gallery and swung right back into the coupe frame of mind. The M3 sedan is great looking, but the coupe just blows it out of the water for me.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread