E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > H&R sport springs on xi

09-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
Bigtimekegger
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

H&R sport springs on xi

I don't have enough money to buy coil overs. Will springs ruin my stock shocks? How easy are they to install yourself with a spring tool? Also, how much would they cost to have them installed by a pro? Will the ruin warranty? Or will BMW even notice?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
techy1
Captain
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

don't have the answers for all your questions but i know ivo charges $200 to install them... I just got springs too with the intention of changing to koni FSB next year or possibly ride them out until i need new suspension...

the true dilemma is install them now or wait until after the winter =)

from what i know about the springs is that they will eventually require changing as they will wear out your shocks and stunts faster... if this is a temp solution like mine then you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
Bigtimekegger
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Yeah that what I'm thinking, let's get through winter and leave it for a new spring mod
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
Thrash
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtimekegger View Post
I don't have enough money to buy coil overs. Will springs ruin my stock shocks? How easy are they to install yourself with a spring tool? Also, how much would they cost to have them installed by a pro? Will the ruin warranty? Or will BMW even notice?
Going through the same dilemma today, called the installer today and I will probably go with coilovers, but may change my mind tomorrow... I am tired of that fender gap on the Xi and I don't think I can wait the winter given our short summers, its the one issue that really bugs me about the car

Yes, they will eventually wear out your shocks, given you have a 2010 it may take 6 mos. or more, not sure what you are looking at but if it is an inch plus drop the shocks will need to be changed eventually
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
Thrash
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Weren't you selling a Dinan suspension?, I sent you a pm.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
Bigtimekegger
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Yeah it's my buddy. For a Sedan, it won't fit on a coup...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
One thing I noticed in a friends car on stock shocks + lowering springs is that the rear end hops quite a bit when you hit bumps on the highway and at higher speeds it actually gets a bit scary/dangerous. It didn't seem to bother him at all though so I guess you get used to it.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
SilverEmu
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
1. It won't ruin your shocks immediately, but the wear rate on them will be accelerated. They were not designed for lowering springs - basically you will be left with very little to no compression travel - this stresses the shocks and also dramatically affects the ride quality.

2. They should not be too bad to install by yourself, as long as you have the tools. The pro install will run you around $200. What I did was to buy the shocks (Bilstein Sport - designed for lowering springs) and the springs and do it in one step in order to avoid the double install charge. A bit more expensive upfront, but, in my case around $450 cheaper that KW V1. And, while firmer, the ride quality is not near as harsh as driving on stock shocks and lowering springs.

3. The warranty - it depends...on the type of relationship you have with your dealer and the type of claim. If you go with a fuel pump issue to the dealer, most likely they will not notice or care about anything spring related. On the other hand, if you claim that your interior rattles or your sway bar end links are shot, that could be a different issue.

When done properly, it's a worthy upgrade, both in terms of drivability and aesthetics (dreaded wheel gap!).

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
Bigtimekegger
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #10
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

I ran on h&h springs only and a year after got coilovers because I couldn`t stand the ride on just lowering springs.

The shocks will wear out faster. The stance looks very nice, but every bump felt like I was hitting the bumpstop.
My biggest problem was the rear end feeling like it was oscillating when you hit a dip in the road (not a pothole etc).
That along was enough for me and making the switch to coilovers was worth it. Bumps are absorbed properly and the car feels very stable when hitting dips in the road. I regret wasting money installing the h&r springs.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #11
Thrash
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESI4life10 View Post
I ran on h&h springs only and a year after got coilovers because I couldn`t stand the ride on just lowering springs.

The shocks will wear out faster. The stance looks very nice, but every bump felt like I was hitting the bumpstop.
My biggest problem was the rear end feeling like it was oscillating when you hit a dip in the road (not a pothole etc).
That along was enough for me and making the switch to coilovers was worth it. Bumps are absorbed properly and the car feels very stable when hitting dips in the road. I regret wasting money installing the h&r springs.
Thanks for the insight, much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #12
Bigtimekegger
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Okay. Thanks. I will save over the winter for coil overs... No point in screwing with a good ride. Already with 19s, it feels like hitting a brick wall when you it a pot hole, I don't need it to feel worse...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #13
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Quote:
Yeah that what I'm thinking, let's get through winter and leave it for a new spring mod
If you drive your car through the winter, be prepared for spring seizure so get some lubricant ready for when you are swapping springs. (I'm hoping what I'm saying makes sense...too early for me right now).

E90 335xi|Nav pkg|Sport pkg|Dakota leather|Brushed aluminum trim|MTech kit
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #14
Bigtimekegger
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Seems like a hassle
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #15
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep

Quote:
Seems like a hassle
No, if you have the right tools, you will be fine.
I just wanted to give you a heads-up on a just-in-case-be-prepared-because you drive your car in the winter thing...

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #16
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mandy View Post
If you drive your car through the winter, be prepared for spring seizure so get some lubricant ready for when you are swapping springs. (I'm hoping what I'm saying makes sense...too early for me right now).
Never had this problem with my springs. The springs are not bolted onto anything so it really wont seize.

They are also coated and the motion they travel in will prevent that from happening.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #17
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Spring seizure? Seriously? Youre killing me over here. Gotta love the interwebs.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #18
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEmu View Post
1. It won't ruin your shocks immediately, but the wear rate on them will be accelerated. They were not designed for lowering springs - basically you will be left with very little to no compression travel - this stresses the shocks and also dramatically affects the ride quality.

2. They should not be too bad to install by yourself, as long as you have the tools. The pro install will run you around $200. What I did was to buy the shocks (Bilstein Sport - designed for lowering springs) and the springs and do it in one step in order to avoid the double install charge. A bit more expensive upfront, but, in my case around $450 cheaper that KW V1. And, while firmer, the ride quality is not near as harsh as driving on stock shocks and lowering springs.

3. The warranty - it depends...on the type of relationship you have with your dealer and the type of claim. If you go with a fuel pump issue to the dealer, most likely they will not notice or care about anything spring related. On the other hand, if you claim that your interior rattles or your sway bar end links are shot, that could be a different issue.

When done properly, it's a worthy upgrade, both in terms of drivability and aesthetics (dreaded wheel gap!).

Hope this helps.
I ran H&R sport (more drop than OE) for 120,000 kms without ANY shock problem. I wouldnt do that again...I would use H&R OE as they still close the gap and the ride wouldnt be as harsh. I wouldnt worry about wearing out your shocks prematurely.
I wouldnt do it yourself...youre asking for warranty problems.

Last edited by 335BBS; 09-13-2012 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: addition
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #19
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
Spring seizure? Seriously? Youre killing me over here. Gotta love the interwebs.
Okay so kill me.
I had to go through that with my 5th gen Prelude....BMW's could be/are different.

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #20
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Okay so kill me.
I had to go through that with my 5th gen Prelude....BMW's could be/are different.
You may have had a strut or shock seizure but a spring can't really seize . Maybe it was packed with ice but sounds weird .
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #21
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

I too, will be holding off on my H&R's for my wife's car until spring time. There's only one more auto-x this year so we talked and she's fine with starting fresh next year with the new springs.
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #22
Antipathy
d00sh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Wow, glad I found this thread. I'll be skipping the lowering springs and going with coilovers.