E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Power Steering Reservoir Leaking, but might have other issues. Need a little help.

02-10-2014, 12:43 AM   #1
Ian0611
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

Power Steering Reservoir Leaking, but might have other issues. Need a little help.

So it looks like I definitely have a leaking power steering reservoir on my 07 328xi, but there are couple of other things going on that I was hoping you guys could help me out with.

Basically what happened was, we were on our way to the in-laws on Saturday and while waiting in line at the McDonald's drive-thru I could hear a whining/whistling sound and noticed that my SES light was on too. The sound seemed a little high pitched to be a power steering issue but this is my first BMW so maybe that's how they normally sound when there's a problem. Anyway, so I pulled over in the parking lot, popped the hood, and saw a fair amount of PS fluid around the reservoir and running down the hoses. I turned the car off for a couple minutes, then turned it back on, and the sound went away. But after driving the car for a few minutes the sound came back again. I drove the car home and it actually died on me while coming to a stop at a stop sign about a block from my house. I was able to restart the car and get it home but here are my questions.

1. Are there any fault codes related to the power steering system or is there likely another problem? I didn't try driving to Auto Zone to get the code checked yet because I didn't want to risk further damage.
2. Do you think replacing the reservoir will fix the issue or do I have other problems?
3. Why did the car die on my way home?
4. I checked the PS fluid level after the car sat overnight and it was sitting right at the minimum mark. Is that normal for the car being cold?

Any positive input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 01:32 AM   #2
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Power steering leaks are usually simply the o-ring that needs replaced. It cost 5 dollars and 2 minutes of your time.

Low level of power steering could generate whining noises (especially at full tilt), but it should not kill the car. This sounds more serious than power steering issue.

You can read basic reasons for SEL light with the left hand control knob: use it to see "check status" in the dash, icons and error codes will appear. You can gather ccid codes which are a bit more precise by pressing longer on the button over a particular error icon. With CCID codes, you can have more insight. A proper computer reading is better though.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 02:48 AM   #3
Ian0611
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
Power steering leaks are usually simply the o-ring that needs replaced. It cost 5 dollars and 2 minutes of your time.

Low level of power steering could generate whining noises (especially at full tilt), but it should not kill the car. This sounds more serious than power steering issue.

You can read basic reasons for SEL light with the left hand control knob: use it to see "check status" in the dash, icons and error codes will appear. You can gather ccid codes which are a bit more precise by pressing longer on the button over a particular error icon. With CCID codes, you can have more insight. A proper computer reading is better though.
Thanks man. I did try to check it through the left hand control knob but it didn't really tell me anything. I probably wasn't doing something right. I'll try holding the button down longer to see if it will give me some better info.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #4
PichaDis11
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

I'm thinking the power steering fluid is coming from the cap as well. The gasket might be broken.

The SES light though I suspect misfires. The codes stored would depict that better however.

Get them codes pulled.

I would try starting it up just to see if it will idle normally.
      02-10-2014, 11:05 PM   #5
Ian0611
Private
Rep

OK, I got the code pulled today and it's a P0012 which is "A Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retard Bank 1". The car ran fine this morning at first and the SES light even went away. But then it started idling rough after driving for about 10 minutes and the SES ended up coming back on too. I made it to work and when I left tonight the car went back to running fine and the SES light went away again. I also didn't hear the whining/whistling on my way home, but I did hear it this morning after it started running rough.

Here's a video of the whistling/whining sound. This isn't my car but this is exactly how mine sounds.

I'm really hoping it's the Camshaft Position Sensor since that seems to be the easiest and cheapest to fix but does anyone know which camshaft is A and where bank 1 is?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 12:03 AM   #6
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

It could be the camshaft position sensor. Especially if you find oil in the sensor well.

Vanos solenoid defective can cause that too (or a host of timing errors), easy fix, just clean and swap them, easy to access and DIY.

A dead plug or more probably a dead coil stick are the second most common typical suspects.

Bank 1 is the first cylinder from the front. You can swap coils 1 and 2 and see if the error follows the coil.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
Ian0611
Private
Rep

Well oddly enough, I drove all day yesterday without any issues. The problem seems to have disappeared... at least for now. At least this gives me a little more time to try and figure out what the issue is and hopefully it will be a little warmer before I have to tear into things. This -15 stuff is getting really old! Worst winter I've ever seen!!
Appreciate 0