E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > E Series NBT Evo Retrofit Development Thread

05-14-2021, 02:41 AM   #375
Teq
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

I've it in an E60.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 08:19 AM   #376
vitalic
Rep
Drives: x1 e84 x18d

I finally installed NBT to my e84. Have one issue with navigation. It updates every 30-40seconds whatever you configured rote or not.

I'm using Chinese GPS module placed above the head unit. Tried different locations, removed bluetooth antenna temporary. Nothing helps.

Can anyone suggest what should I check else.

Last edited by vitalic; 06-30-2021 at 04:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 09:03 PM   #377
ygoz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalic View Post
I finally installed NBT to my e84. Have one issue with navigation. It updates every 30-40seconds whatever you configured rote or not.

I'm using Chinese GPS module placed above the head unit. Tried different locations, removed bluetooth antenna temporary. Nothing helps.

Can anyone suggest what should I check else.
vitalic - did you get it working using your own software, or an emulator?

For the GPS, did you try a different antenna/module?
What do you mean by updating every 30 seconds? that location is stuck for 30 seconds and only then refreshes?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 10:37 PM   #378
emanmor345
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
Need some assistance. Installed evo id4 hw2.3 with nbt adapter from bmw**************s.com. ZBE3 has lights, CIC Faceplate has lights, HU dvd drive will spin when eject button is pressed, I can hear FM radio and can stroll through lists. No Gong, no display, steering wheel controls do not work. here comes esys. I installed esys through this video
used this video to create FA
then used this video to attempt to code
. Issue is when using token master when I load FA or try to load anything it stays on a infinite loading bar trying to create FA. If i launch esys without token master it works, but no CAFD when reading ECU. windows install. bad esys install. old launcher, old esys? old pszdata?

NBT EVO ID4 + ATM W/ carsystems adapter
LCD3, M3 DCT wheel, OSRAM CBB, LUX V8.1
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 04:07 AM   #379
TH4X
Running In The Night
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E92 320i & F31 328i

First of all thanks for taking the time to write out this Retrofit. I've been considering on doing this project for my E92 and still patiently looking for a good deal on an EVO unit. Hoping to get this done in the near future
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 03:38 PM   #380
emanmor345
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
Ok so I went with a car systems adapter and it does send a RAD_ON signal for the diversity antenna, I was not happy with the FM reception/quality, the HD signal frequently went in and out, and the audio had static, so I decided to mod my e90 diversity antenna to pass through the aerial antennas from the windshield, youre basically making a Y cable.

my e90 diversity functions for FM1/AM, and remote controls. Your vehicle may be equipped differently but this is an excellent visual of what is going on.

Open the diversity and remove the capacitors that complete the circuit for FM1 and AM, then solder wire to the pins, FM2 is untouched in my case so I soldered wire to the pin. There will be a total of 3 wires from the amp FM1,FM2, and AM. These 3 are being disconnected and passed through to the F30 AMP, leaving the remote control aerial attached to keep that function. If your remote stops working that means you made a wrong connection.

Reference NEWTIS https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ystems/1yoevwp

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ion/1VnYo5WZZH
Attached Images

NBT EVO ID4 + ATM W/ carsystems adapter
LCD3, M3 DCT wheel, OSRAM CBB, LUX V8.1
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 03:46 AM   #381
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
I metered out the HSD CID cable.
The ends mirror each other, so pin 1 -> 2, 2 ->1, 3 ->4, 4->3, 5->6, 6->5.
So... if I use the cable backwards it should still work! Wish I'd thought to do that before I tried to rotate the cable in the fakra shell... they really don't like to let go, and my fakras are a little worse for wear. should still hold up though, and will be buried in the dash by February.

Took a look at the pinout for the old CID I have... it uses LVDS, not Automotive PIXel Link, so definitely no way of using the old CID for testing. oh well.
Wish I would have come across this earlier! I ended up ordering a proper NBT retrofit cable on Ebay (US seller -but Chinese import for sure) for $17 (Aliexpress has them for $10) that has the proper pink and burgundy male plugs which should have been the cable used in the first place.

Caution: I ended up shearing off one of the 3 pegs inside the female socket on the NBTHU in my efforts. It should not hurt anything, but a lesson learned: do not force the plugs...there is a reasons why they do not connect easily. I just hope I did not burn out my monitors because I had 8.2V going in the ground terminal for about 30 minutes.

See my post here:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=495

Last edited by fe7565; 10-13-2021 at 07:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 07:53 AM   #382
BuiltForRedline
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06-330Ci ZHP

Hey everyone. My name is Tyler, I'm a new player in the space. I am looking to retrofit NBT EVO into my E46, but this seems like the right place to get the ball rolling. I currently have an FEM, NBT EVO and ATM all from the same car (also DME and keys), and have to reach out to my supplier to get the pigtails. My goal at the end of my install is to have fully working NBT EVO, TPMS, and 360 view camera (including front).

Because I have so much hardware from an F30, I should be able to use my FEM to get my EVO working with no emulation. I will then see what dependencies modules are depending on and create a standalone emulator to make sure the NBT is happy.

At the end I will create a beginning-to-end write up and parts list for both E46. I will also do one for E9x if anyone in the SF Bay Area will offer their E9x, but that's a long ways away from today.

I finished reading this thread from beginning to end. It's 5:30am here so my I have a lot of notes but lack full comprehension. I have a few questions hopefully people can help me out with.

When it comes to emulating buses, is there an arduino library people prefer to use? I saw some mentions of arduino which is what I have for my bench, but no mention of libraries.

I saw some mentions of bricking EVO's. This is only because two conflicting busses are being communicated on the same wires, right? IE if I bench my EVO unit with my emulator and send a wake up command, it shouldn't brick, correct?

What are FSC codes? I feel this is a stupid question, but I can't find any answers on Google and it isn't something mentioned in the E46 community.

ICAM. Are these based off Ethernet? If so, can I run a bunch of ethernet cables through my car and pin them for ICAM later?

Can I make my own FBAS cables? It seems they are shielded wires, so can I just use some standard shielded wires? Can anyone elaborate on their construction? Post 192 shines some light but I am still unclear.

How many OABR connectors do I need, 2? And that is the 61119374919 cables with the 61130005197 plug housings?

Thanks in advance. Trying to get up to speed ASAP. I have so many wiring diagrams, there's a lot to take in
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 12:12 AM   #383
MrSummer
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Hi everyone! I had to install a Harman F06 amplifier to get rid of the echo (e92 was with Logic7 13 speakers). The whole system sounds much better since the upgrade, however I need to use the lowest setting on bass and the highest setting on treble to have a good quality for rock music.

The bass is OK but I want to have more treble. Now the amplifier is coded with F06 settings. Did somebdy play with this and find any better setting?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 07:31 PM   #384
Daviddavidw
Registered
Rep
Drives: F12 650i convertible

Hi All,
I have an e90 BMW, but this is regarding my F12 650i convertible - from reading, I thought this thread was the most relevant. Any and all help would be gratefully appreciated!

I recently upgraded the 650i Convertible from CIC to NBT EVO via BimmerTech. Everything is working well now, except I have the inbound caller Echo that’s been discussed. It really makes using the BLE phone in car unusable. After a lot of back and forth with BimmerTech, they believe it is related to my stock B&O amplifier, but also feel there is nothing else they can do.

Do you all believe that is the case? This is my wife’s car, who is not an audiophile at all (so doesn’t really care about upgraded or downgraded audio), but after spending hours and hours upgrading to NBT EVO, as well as thousands of dollars on the upgrade, it feels to me that BLE audio for the phone not viable is not a reasonable solution.

Any advice? Would ‘downgrading’ my amplifier to Logic7 or another amplifier or upgrading to an after-market amp be a possible solution? What else? I don’t mind spending more time or more money - but really want to get car BLE phone working without echo again.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Last edited by Daviddavidw; 05-05-2022 at 07:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 11:28 PM   #385
MrSummer
Rep

Is the Reference_Chanel_Tel enabled?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 10:46 AM   #386
Daviddavidw
Registered
Rep
Drives: F12 650i convertible

ODB2

BimmerTech did all the coding remote, and insists it is not a coding issue. Do you know if there an easy way to download some PC software (I do have the ODB2 to CANBUS cable) and look myself, or do I have to have BimmerTech check?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSummer View Post
Is the Reference_Chanel_Tel enabled?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 11:21 AM   #387
MrSummer
Rep

With a OABR and E-sys you can check yourself, but it takes couple of minutes if somebody have the equipment
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 12:40 PM   #388
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
I have two full E9x eNBT Evo kits with wifi hotspot atms, touch screens, amps and Icam rvcs that I made for a customer that he did not pay.

If someone wants a full kit or parts out of them send a PM
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 01:29 PM   #389
MILLER335I
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 Dinan stage 3 335I

Nickco is legit!

This guy is legit! His stuff is tested and verified before it goes out.
      08-24-2022, 10:42 AM   #390
xturmn8r
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 (2008 coupe, SprlGrpht)

I'm in the market for an idrive upgrade (2008 M3 with CCC). I haven't done the required number of verified post replies yet - if the NBT EVO retrofit parts are still available how would I get in touch with you?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 05:54 AM   #391
panky
panky
Rep
Drives: bmw e90

Hello to all of you. I am a new member.

I just installed nbt evo in my e90.but the evo comes on and off randomly. I have connected all the wires correctly. got it coded by a professional coder, but still having the same issue of unit turning on and off randomly, and that is also for a short period of time, like 1 or 2 minutes. any help appreciated
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 06:13 AM   #392
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
On my e91 before it was wrecked it would occasionally reset the evo when going over bumps. it was a ground issue, i think the e-nbt adapter ribbon cable was crushed against something and shorting out. I had just about gotten it sorted out so it wouldn't fail anymore when the car was totaled
      01-27-2023, 11:58 PM   #393
panky
panky
Rep

well, Vilrod, I have checked my connections 10 times . and the wiring looks pretty solid. anyhow, I bought another Evo to confirm that it is not the adapter. I bought my adapter my carsystems. does anybody have got A TO Z coding and activation guide. this time, I want to do myself. at the moment, my screen is completely black. also I have also done zgw retrofit on my e90, so i can connect straight via vin
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 06:18 AM   #394
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by panky View Post
well, Vilrod, I have checked my connections 10 times . and the wiring looks pretty solid. anyhow, I bought another Evo to confirm that it is not the adapter. I bought my adapter my carsystems. does anybody have got A TO Z coding and activation guide. this time, I want to do myself. at the moment, my screen is completely black. also I have also done zgw retrofit on my e90, so i can connect straight via vin
I presume you have working Esys so first will need to create your FA. The more options you put into into it the less coding will have to change (it's still a lot). There is a quick tool for generatibg FA based on VIN (HU VIN) but you will need to adjust things to match your case. Basically you will want to create F30 FA close to your E90 FA. For a list of valid SALAPA elements (options) for F30 you can use this tool. It's outdated and NCD compare doesn't work, but it's good enough to get you the list. Once you have the FA you need to code your EVO to this FA. From this point onwards you can use CarSystems' coding requirements found in their installation manual but I find it incomplete or even incorrect sometimes. It also depends what you want to code as well for your specific retrofit. Once you have that done you can purchase Feature Installer pack with FSCs and patch for your VIN (HU VIN). Before you even open the installer, make sure that your ZGW has the same VIN as the HU - you can change that with Tool32. Otherwise Feature Installer will mark it as VIN mismatch and might trigger component protection. If your Feature Installer pack doesn't contain that, you will have to purchase it separately and remove component protection this way. Once that's done, you are pretty much good to go.

Personally I would do it on a bench. It takes time, coding in car is uncomfortable and because how long it can take, you really need you car hooked up to a coding power supply. It won't draw 120A, it's not flashing of the entire car, but still it will be drainig your battery.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 06:05 AM   #395
panky
panky
Rep

thanks Redrik, for the help. I finally got it working. One of the Can wires, was loose, which was hard to notice. Just to put some information here, My coding was done on the car by a professional coder. Even the coder was surprised seeing the way, that he was able to code the car so simply, because I had ZGW installed. I had a power supply attached, which is able to put 100a max, But you would be surprised to know that the maximum current drawn was only 17 amps, and that is only when you flashing or coding just NBT EVO on bmw e90. does anybody here has a link to explain the process of flashing a module with e- sys? I am having bit trouble understanding dependcies?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 10:14 AM   #396
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Well done. I had that problem once on my bench setup and was pulling my hair trying to figure out what is going on. It was slightly loose CAN connector on Arduino board.

As for the coding or flashing of EVO alone, I know it doesn't draw a lot of current, but it takes a lot of time so if you're doing that in the car it's highly recommended to have a power supply hooked up as you did. And having ZGW installed is a blessing, although I was told by either CarSystems or ************** - Adrian, that having ZGW permanently installed might cause some unforeseen issues with all the CAN packets it's sending. So don't know...

I've never flashed EVO myself. Although I have a screen capture of the entire process while my mate was doing that for me, but I don't fully understand it either, so sorry I don't think I will be able to help.
Appreciate 0