E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Am I destroying my manual transmission?

11-15-2018, 10:17 AM   #23
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff View Post
Yeh it's called declutch clunk/rattle. On the BMWs it's usually only really perceptible with the windows down as they have such good sound deadening. It happens when you do abrupt/not smooth unloading of the drivetrain, so it needs to be loaded up to do this. My experience is only with the F series M3 and the E series E90 though. This could be a little different on your 335is due to prop/driveline stiffness.

You will hear a minor amount of gear rattle and sometimes clunk. This symptom would be more apparent if your car has the clutch delay valve deleted as well.

Edit: If this is what you're hearing it's nothing to worry about. Just unwanted NVH.
Okay thanks!!

Not even sure if my CDV is deleted. Never took a look down there and there was 2 previous owners before me. From a feel standpoint, how would it feel?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #24
HawkeyeGeoff
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335XI MSport, S2000

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Okay thanks!!

Not even sure if my CDV is deleted. Never took a look down there and there was 2 previous owners before me. From a feel standpoint, how would it feel?
If your CDV is NOT deleted, while the car is off (or on I guess), you will feel a large delay if you do a clutch pedal snap. Try to do it as quickly as possible;it will not follow your foot totally. If it follows your foot, you have a CDV delete.
Appreciate 2
      11-15-2018, 11:58 AM   #25
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Ok thanks!

May I ask you another question to my MT transmission since you seem to be very well informed about them. I asked before but didn't get a definitive answer.

Noticed sometimes for examples if I'm in 1st, when I clutch in at normal speed, the transmission has a clunk noise and a small shudder. For example still in 1st and arriving at a stop sign, clutch it around 2500 RPM it does it.

If I clutch it much slower it doesn't do it tho. I guess it's just normal because there is some force/spinning in there and just disengaging it quickly does that?

And thanks I am really enjoying it!
The clunk is from dual mass flywheel bmw uses unwinding quickly. My car was like that from brand new, not an issue.
Appreciate 2
      11-15-2018, 02:28 PM   #26
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

You will notice how spongy the clutch is in a BMW only if
you have driven a car with a proper clutch setup.
CDV delete is one of the cheapest mods you can do to
a BMW with a manual transmission.

The notchy shifts are not related to the cdv thoiugh.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 03:13 PM   #27
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Regardless of what you do to the tranny, it will still be notchy,. Especially going into first gear. Most of us would kill to have the shifter in these cars operate like the one in an S2000.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 11:35 PM   #28
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
Sounds like this is your first manual transmission. I had several during my life time different brands. Winter time they all are difficult to shift with varying degree. Don't expect quick shifts in winter, until transmission fluid warmed up, which can take a long time, since it is not directly warmed by the engine heat.

I have found Fuchs Titan Sintofluid manual transmission oil to be on the good side at cold weather for my transmission. I have an XI so it is a ZF transmission.

Each transmission fluid also has its own characteristic and works differently.
The OEM is pretty good I think. I liked the Fuchs better, it is more smoother for me. But that is again me and my transmission with the wear I put on it.

One thing to make sure is your transmission oil level is not low, that can effect shifting regardless of oil type.

And winter, don't force it but try steady, firm, slow gear changes. For 1st to 2nd try staying on the 1st gear longer than usual, i.e. keep the RPMs up before going to 2nd. Try if it helps, if it doesn't don't keep trying it

Another thing that helps sometimes with cold weather from 1st to 2nd, going to neutral and then to 2nd (without double clutching). Double clutching always helps as long as you match the rpms close, which is the purpose of double clutching. You get the engine input side shaft rpm match the drive line shaft (I don't know the exact/correct terms, layout shaft etc) inside the transmission by blipping the engine at neutral. So that instead of synchros taking the slack and matching the speed of the shafts, they are already speed matched.

At cold I have trouble with going into 1st at stand still sometimes. If I push on the lever and then ease back and immediately push again, it always goes in. This may also help depending on your situation

You need to experiment a bit.

As long as you are not grinding gears, which you hear distinct gear grinding, you are not causing much damage.
Hey just wanted to point out your trick of shifting while going into neutral for a second (without realeasing clutch) fixes my issue at 100%. Tried it over the past weeks. I drive like this for the first 3-5 minutes and then shift normally and no odd noises.

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
PhaseP1007.00
      12-08-2018, 05:43 PM   #29
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Hey just wanted to point out your trick of shifting while going into neutral for a second (without realeasing clutch) fixes my issue at 100%. Tried it over the past weeks. I drive like this for the first 3-5 minutes and then shift normally and no odd noises.

Thanks!
That is a great technique, essentially double-clutch upshifting. If you have mastered it, well done!

Now change your transmission lubricant.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 09:55 PM   #30
caldep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325xi Touring MT X1 x28i

Garage List
2023 X2 F39  [0.00]
2022 X3 G01  [0.00]
2006 e91  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post

Another thing that helps sometimes with cold weather from 1st to 2nd, going to neutral and then to 2nd (without double clutching)...

As long as you are not grinding gears, which you hear distinct gear grinding, you are not causing much damage.

Just wanted to give this a bump! This has made a world of difference in my e91. I've tried changing the fluid several times (using Red Lion). Sub 65 degree weather, the first to second change forced me to match engine speed to get the change executed without feeling like I was forcing the car into gear. I was convinced the synchronizer must be gone.
However, following your recommendation to go to neutral and then to second results in wonderfully smooth shifts. I cannot believe the difference it makes!

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 03:47 PM   #31
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

OP, I think you are just getting OCD about this. OE trans fluid is rated for the temps your car will see. Having driven BMW 3-series manual transmissions for the better part of 30 years and 850,000+ miles, they are notchy to shift and noisy when cold. It doesn't mean they have a lubrication issue, it is just gear lash tolerances affected by temperature, all which is engineered into the design of the gearbox.

Just relax about it.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 03:55 PM   #32
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
OP, I think you are just getting OCD about this. OE trans fluid is rated for the temps your car will see. Having driven BMW 3-series manual transmissions for the better part of 30 years and 850,000+ miles, they are notchy to shift and noisy when cold. It doesn't mean they have a lubrication issue, it is just gear lash tolerances affected by temperature, all which is engineered into the design of the gearbox.

Just relax about it.
Yeah probably was that.

Anyways that car got totalled so now I'm in the DCT gang
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17277.50