E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Adding car to ConnectedDrive

01-21-2018, 07:00 PM   #1
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Sorry in advance if this question was already answered but what is need to add my e90 loci with combox to ConnectedDrive app to get remote features? Every time i try it says to connect it say call customer support to reactivate mobile network connection. Is Bmw assist possible on the e90?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 07:54 AM   #2
mjn77
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 LCI Jerez Black

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yes. I just emailed my documents to the ConnectedDrive team.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 08:46 AM   #3
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjn77 View Post
What hardware would i need
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 08:47 AM   #4
mjn77
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrulyteach View Post
Quote:
Have you a Combox?

// E90 M3 LCI DCT in Jerez Black with Fox Red Leather // Alcantara Trim // ST XTA Coilovers // 1.75 Exhaust Mod // Pinnacle Undertray // @jerez.black.e90.m3 //
Euro Alpine Road Trips 2014 2016 2017 2018 2019
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 08:48 AM   #5
mjn77
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Have you a Combox?
Actually, didn't it all get deactivated in the States? There was a retrofit option for a while.

// E90 M3 LCI DCT in Jerez Black with Fox Red Leather // Alcantara Trim // ST XTA Coilovers // 1.75 Exhaust Mod // Pinnacle Undertray // @jerez.black.e90.m3 //
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 08:51 AM   #6
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Have you a Combox?
Actually, didn't it all get deactivated in the States? There was a retrofit option for a while.
I hav combox and i think some cars did and some didn't get the retrofit
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 08:53 AM   #7
mjn77
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
IIRC there was a website and you put your VIN into the system to claim your retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 09:04 AM   #8
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
IIRC there was a website and you put your VIN into the system to claim your retrofit.
Second owner first declined retrofit and got it deactivated
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 09:05 AM   #9
mjn77
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Ah. Not sure what options you have now

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 09:11 AM   #10
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ah. Not sure what options you have now
Damn do i hav any at all
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #11
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Damn do i hav any at all
For ConnectedDrive, yes. For Remote Services, maybe.

You could always retrofit a newer NBT w/TCB, or NBT2 w/ATM. To do this you need to use an emulator that will convert the KCAN1 message to KCAN2, and allow the NBT or NBT2 to exist in a car not matching your VIN. To the BMW backend servers, your car will appear as the donor car of the NBT/telematics box(TCB or ATM). Both the NBT, and telematics box must use the same VIN, and MUST use the original VIN of the telematics box.

This allows you to register with ConnectedDrive, as the donor VIN, and obtain all the services available to that VIN. You can even order/extend services.

BUT, the issue you run into, since you are looking for Remote Services, is with the adapter. The adapter will convert the KCAN2 messages received into KCAN1 messages your car understands. But the problem is that the adapter that I have used, will stop transferring messages from KCAN2 to KCAN1, once the car goes to sleep. So, when I tried, the Lock/Unlock/Climate commands worked, as long as the car was awake (E90's to not appear to have messages for Horn or Lights), but once the car goes to sleep, the messages are no longer passed along. I sent an email to Neo, at BMW Custom Garage, and he said he could build a custom firmware that would allow the adapter to continue sending the Remote Commands, but it wasn't that big an issue to me, so I didn't push it.

So, if you really want ConnectedDrive with Remote Services, then I would first talk to Neo (you can email him at the 'office' email at BMW Custom Retrofit), and see if his adapters are now able to handle the Remote commands.

I really like having ARTTI, Online Search, and Concierge services, I first retrofit a NBT(ID4) with TCB about 2 years ago, and about a year ago, I updated that with NBT2(EVO ID6) with ATM. I have the NBT/TCB sitting on a shelf, if you are interested PM me.

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 08:09 PM   #12
Simpletechguy
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
For ConnectedDrive, yes. For Remote Services, maybe.

You could always retrofit a newer NBT w/TCB, or NBT2 w/ATM. To do this you need to use an emulator that will convert the KCAN1 message to KCAN2, and allow the NBT or NBT2 to exist in a car not matching your VIN. To the BMW backend servers, your car will appear as the donor car of the NBT/telematics box(TCB or ATM). Both the NBT, and telematics box must use the same VIN, and MUST use the original VIN of the telematics box.

This allows you to register with ConnectedDrive, as the donor VIN, and obtain all the services available to that VIN. You can even order/extend services.

BUT, the issue you run into, since you are looking for Remote Services, is with the adapter. The adapter will convert the KCAN2 messages received into KCAN1 messages your car understands. But the problem is that the adapter that I have used, will stop transferring messages from KCAN2 to KCAN1, once the car goes to sleep. So, when I tried, the Lock/Unlock/Climate commands worked, as long as the car was awake (E90's to not appear to have messages for Horn or Lights), but once the car goes to sleep, the messages are no longer passed along. I sent an email to Neo, at BMW Custom Garage, and he said he could build a custom firmware that would allow the adapter to continue sending the Remote Commands, but it wasn't that big an issue to me, so I didn't push it.

So, if you really want ConnectedDrive with Remote Services, then I would first talk to Neo (you can email him at the 'office' email at BMW Custom Retrofit), and see if his adapters are now able to handle the Remote commands.

I really like having ARTTI, Online Search, and Concierge services, I first retrofit a NBT(ID4) with TCB about 2 years ago, and about a year ago, I updated that with NBT2(EVO ID6) with ATM. I have the NBT/TCB sitting on a shelf, if you are interested PM me.
Hello. You seem to have done with NBT what I’m trying to do. I have a 2015 F series that’s NTB ID 4 with TCB 1. I would like to retrofit to NBT EVO ID 6, but I keep hearing that I will have to lose ConnectedDrive to do so.

What do I need to do? I’ve found US-based NBT EVO units with ID 6 that are original units and non-flashed, but what else do I need to do? Would I need to buy an ATM module? I don’t want to lose the Online Search and Concierge services.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 05:21 PM   #13
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpletechguy View Post
Hello. You seem to have done with NBT what I’m trying to do. I have a 2015 F series that’s NTB ID 4 with TCB 1. I would like to retrofit to NBT EVO ID 6, but I keep hearing that I will have to lose ConnectedDrive to do so.

What do I need to do? I’ve found US-based NBT EVO units with ID 6 that are original units and non-flashed, but what else do I need to do? Would I need to buy an ATM module? I don’t want to lose the Online Search and Concierge services.
For EVO you need to use an ATM. The SIM cards are not like SIM cards in your phone, which are removable, and transferable between phones, the SIM in a TCB or ATM is embedded, which means it's soldered to the board. There are some people stating that you can remove the SIM from TCB board, and have it replace the SIM chip on the ATM. This will work, but it's possible that BMW could find units that did this, and deactivate them, but I really doubt they would. There really isn't a security issue, and I don't see tons of people going out and doing it.

There are a couple of threads out there, and some have pictures showing what chip is the SIM chip, just google "BMW transfer SIM ATM", and you will find them. One thing to be aware of, the technology of the ATM must match the technology of the TCB. So, if you have a 3G TCB you need to make sure you get a 3G ATM.

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 02:25 PM   #14
Simpletechguy
Rep

Quote:
For EVO you need to use an ATM. The SIM cards are not like SIM cards in your phone, which are removable, and transferable between phones, the SIM in a TCB or ATM is embedded, which means it's soldered to the board. There are some people stating that you can remove the SIM from TCB board, and have it replace the SIM chip on the ATM. This will work, but it's possible that BMW could find units that did this, and deactivate them, but I really doubt they would. There really isn't a security issue, and I don't see tons of people going out and doing it.

There are a couple of threads out there, and some have pictures showing what chip is the SIM chip, just google "BMW transfer SIM ATM", and you will find them. One thing to be aware of, the technology of the ATM must match the technology of the TCB. So, if you have a 3G TCB you need to make sure you get a 3G ATM.
Thanks a lot. Is that the only way? I’m in Texas, like you. I wish I knew of a place here that could assist.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 02:27 PM   #15
Simpletechguy
Rep

Quote:

For example, how did you update the EVO ID 6 with ATM?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 12:07 PM   #16
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
For example, how did you update the EVO ID 6 with ATM?
I found an ATM from a wrecked US 2017 328i. I then got an FSC kit for the donor VIN of the ATM. I purchased an EVO, and flashed it with the ATM donor VIN.

I can connect to ConnectedDrive, and have valid services, but everything is through the VIN of the ATM donor. As far as BMW cares, my car is the ATM donor car. The one think I do is make sure to not send any teleservices back to BMW, not sure they would care, but they would probably think something was wrong.

It's actually a little more interesting than that. To aid in coding, and flashing I added a ZGW from an F10. I then added PDC, and TRSVC from F10. When I connect to e-sys I do so via the ZGW gateway using the ATM donor vin. I have 7 ECU's show up ATM,NBT2,PDC,TBX,TRSVC,ZBE,ZGW. They are all flashed to the VIN of the ATM donor.

Everything works well, but I have a dream of adding one more, a Kombi from a F20. That is a long way off, the problems are many, mainly with the BN2000/BN2020 conversions, and physically modifying the Kombi to fit. I'm still not sure I can get it to fit, but the F20 Kombi is only slightly larger than the E90 Kombi. If I can get the message traffic working, then I will try to trim down the internals of the F20, and get them to fit into a E90 kombi housing.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 10:18 AM   #17
Elixis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 335d/E39 540i/G30 540d

Garage List
2003 E39 540i  [0.00]
2011 E90 335d  [0.00]
2018 G30 540d  [0.00]
Quote:
I found an ATM from a wrecked US 2017 328i. I then got an FSC kit for the donor VIN of the ATM. I purchased an EVO, and flashed it with the ATM donor VIN.

I can connect to ConnectedDrive, and have valid services, but everything is through the VIN of the ATM donor. As far as BMW cares, my car is the ATM donor car. The one think I do is make sure to not send any teleservices back to BMW, not sure they would care, but they would probably think something was wrong.

It's actually a little more interesting than that. To aid in coding, and flashing I added a ZGW from an F10. I then added PDC, and TRSVC from F10. When I connect to e-sys I do so via the ZGW gateway using the ATM donor vin. I have 7 ECU's show up ATM,NBT2,PDC,TBX,TRSVC,ZBE,ZGW. They are all flashed to the VIN of the ATM donor.

Everything works well, but I have a dream of adding one more, a Kombi from a F20. That is a long way off, the problems are many, mainly with the BN2000/BN2020 conversions, and physically modifying the Kombi to fit. I'm still not sure I can get it to fit, but the F20 Kombi is only slightly larger than the E90 Kombi. If I can get the message traffic working, then I will try to trim down the internals of the F20, and get them to fit into a E90 kombi housing.
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but here is my issue:

I currently have an NBT. I just read through this thread & I am confused on one thing.

I am getting a matched vin Evo & ATM. Which wire will I need for the ATM? I understand that this is the only thing needed.

Please advise - thank you!
Appreciate 0