E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Dunlop Direzza vs Hankook RS3

10-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #23
WDBi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car

discount tire will get em for you and they match tire racks pricing
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #24
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Discount Tire Direct is out of stock.
Tire Rack is out of stock.
Americas Tire is out of stock.

Calling Hankook Monday to get an ETA
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #25
jbass524
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbj View Post

I tried to get them for the M3 but there was no availability and none any time soon.

I'd backorder them and go for something that is almost as good then wear those out. We used the NT05 instead. Not great but good and they're 135.00 at discount tire. I'd still go with the Direzza over the Nitto but they're expensive.

Take this with the best of intentions: Your tires aren't what's holding you back the most at this point. The Nitto is a good option especially at that price. Maybe even the Kumho Ecsta XS although they aren't good in the wet.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #26
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
Quote:

I tried to get them for the M3 but there was no availability and none any time soon.

I'd backorder them and go for something that is almost as good then wear those out. We used the NT05 instead. Not great but good and they're 135.00 at discount tire. I'd still go with the Direzza over the Nitto but they're expensive.

Take this with the best of intentions: Your tires aren't what's holding you back the most at this point. The Nitto is a good option especially at that price. Maybe even the Kumho Ecsta XS although they aren't good in the wet.
Jan, I know like many my skill is what holds me back the most. With additional instruction and data acquisition, I expect that to improve. That said, I don't think you can make an accurate assessment being as we've never tracked together. Btw, no offense was taken.

In terms of the car, I do think tires are the weakest link. I've addressed suspension and braking for the most part but these 19" Evos have to go. They're a great street tire but just don't work well on the track.

When I look up Nitto nt05, they cost $157 not $135. Besides, I really want to try the rs3 not only because of price but more so because of the rave reviews. If I can't get 255, I'll order 245 as it seems those are in stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 06:38 AM   #27
SpeedOften
Cone Killing E90
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 M40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I do believe the most recent Grassroots Motorsports Magazine had a comparo in the wet between the Kuhmo XS, Dunlop Direzza Z1 SS, the Hankook RS3's, the Yoko Advan Neova AD08's, toyo R1R's and Nitto NT-05's...

The Advan's came in 1st in the wet followed by the Dunlops. They still consider the RS3's to be the king in the dry.

They also compared the Hoosier A6 R comp to a Goodyear I think?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #28
jbass524
Major
Rep

Quote:
Jan, I know like many my skill is what holds me back the most. With additional instruction and data acquisition, I expect that to improve. That said, I don't think you can make an accurate assessment being as we've never tracked together. Btw, no offense was taken.
You're right. I would much rather have the RS3s.

BTW, 2 almost identical cars (E36 M3s), one with Direzzas, one with NT05s.
  • Driver in NT05 car is pro Audi driver and proven to be extremely fast
  • Driver in Direzza car is very, very good but not to the level of the pro.
  • At infineon the Direzza driver is equally as fast and faster in one session.

I think a great comparison. Go with Direzzas or RS3s
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #29
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I think you should forget either one and go with a REAL R-Comp. At this point parsing between tenth of a second between two tires, isn't going to be as much of a leap as parsing between SECONDS between über street tires vs. R-Comps. Even the lower end R-Comps like Nitto NT-01 is going to be significantly faster than either RS3 or Direzza Star Spec. And nevermind über R-Comps like Hoosier R6 and A6.

Typically when I go to events with my "street" tires (Falken Azenis RT-615K) I don't even bother planning on driving 10/10th, knowing that even at my best I will still be a hair slower than most of my fellow drivers on the track. I go with the street tires to have fun. I "push it" when I'm shod with my NT-01s or Hoosiers knowing that there's that extra level of grip. If I'm doing race schools I don't even bother. R-Comps or go home (since I'll be holding up even the E30s).
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #30
thread killer
Banned
Rep
Drives: faster then your car

im blown away how sticky the star specs are. i mean i need slicks to keep the power down in 3rd, but still- blow them off a few times to get some heat in them, and they stick fantasticly for a street tire.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 01:22 AM   #31
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Well, I've looked everywhere for the RS3. Both Tire Rack and ATC could only give me an ETA of maybe late November. So, I kept looking. I found a s2000 vendor that had them in stock but added $100 for shipping. So, back to looking again.

I decided to check other options. As Hack pointed out, I could look into entry level R compounds. In my search, I found some good deals but the best were NT01 in the same size: 255/40/17. Now I'm still not 100% sure it'll fit but figured WTH, why not give it a try.

Here's my reasoning for ultimately choosing this tire. And yes, your comments did help.

- Why get a street tire when I spent money for a track dedicated setup?
- Why get something that can be driven in the wet? This car is my DD and therefore I will be a fair weather track enthusiast only. Therefore, I should focus on the best dry performance.
- I want to go faster. With a street compound, Am I really gaining all that much? Why go half ass? Spend a little more and reap the benefits of R.
- I've read many reviews and comparisons. If a nutshell, it looks like the R compound should be 2-3 seconds faster around tracks like Infineon or Thunderhill.
- Lastly, the final price difference was only $148 more. No big deal.

So, the NT01 are now ordered for a grand total of $703 delivered to my door. I'll post again after a fitment test. Wish me luck.

Bought it here...

http://discounttires.com/list.php?c=...=&brandID=1334
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 12:04 PM   #32
jbass524
Major
Rep

Quote:
Well, I've looked everywhere for the RS3. Both Tire Rack and ATC could only give me an ETA of maybe late November. So, I kept looking. I found a s2000 vendor that had them in stock but added $100 for shipping. So, back to looking again.

I decided to check other options. As Hack pointed out, I could look into entry level R compounds. In my search, I found some good deals but the best were NT01 in the same size: 255/40/17. Now I'm still not 100% sure it'll fit but figured WTH, why not give it a try.

Here's my reasoning for ultimately choosing this tire. And yes, your comments did help.

- Why get something that can be driven in the wet? This car is my DD and therefore I will be a fair weather track enthusiast only. Therefore, I should focus on the best dry performance.
- I want to go faster. With a street compound, Am I really gaining all that much? Why go half ass? Spend a little more and reap the benefits of R.
- I've read many reviews and comparisons. If a nutshell, it looks like the R compound should be 2-3 seconds faster around tracks like Infineon or Thunderhill.

So, the NT01 are now ordered for a grand total of $703 delivered to my door. I'll post again after a fitment test. Wish me luck.

Bought it here...

Not trying to rain on your parade...honestly. R-comps like the R888 are going to be 2-3 seconds faster. Also The Hack says his are about that but he doesn't push as hard on streets and the Falkens aren't the premium Extreme Performance street tire. I've had them.

Be ready for about a 1 second difference from a Direzza to an R888. I'm not familiar with the NT01 so look into that. Just don't expect too much from the entry level R-comps. They are grippier but not a ton grippier.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #33
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Quote:
Not trying to rain on your parade...honestly. R-comps like the R888 are going to be 2-3 seconds faster. Also The Hack says his are about that but he doesn't push as hard on streets and the Falkens aren't the premium Extreme Performance street tire. I've had them.

Be ready for about a 1 second difference from a Direzza to an R888. I'm not familiar with the NT01 so look into that. Just don't expect too much from the entry level R-comps. They are grippier but not a ton grippier.
I'm a little confused by your post. Are you saying R888 are 2-3 seconds faster than the NT01's I purchased or when compared to RS3 or street tires or?

From what I could tell, the NT01 and R888 are fairly similar. The NT01 are about $200 less per set though. That definitely came into play. Another reason I chose the NT01 is that is the same tire & size Meepster uses on his e92. He has no fitment issues, although he is not lowered so not a a guarantee for me. When tracking with him, done so several times, he puts about 10 seconds between us by the time the session ends. As you can imagine, it happens everywhere but the straights. I'm am so looking forward to R tires! Lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #34
jbass524
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm a little confused by your post. Are you saying R888 are 2-3 seconds faster than the NT01's I purchased or when compared to RS3 or street tires or?

From what I could tell, the NT01 and R888 are fairly similar. The NT01 are about $200 less per set though. That definitely came into play. Another reason I chose the NT01 is that is the same tire & size Meepster uses on his e92. He has no fitment issues, although he is not lowered so not a a guarantee for me. When tracking with him, done so several times, he puts about 10 seconds between us by the time the session ends. As you can imagine, it happens everywhere but the straights. I'm am so looking forward to R tires! Lol.
Sorry, Comparing Direzzas and RS3s to R888s. R888s are about 1 second faster than those.

You did great with NT01s. I wasn't very impressed with the R888s.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #35
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:

Bought it here...

I knew I could count on you to test drive the right tires for me

While you're waiting for delivery, have a look at the track subforum of bimmerforums, search for NT01 as the subject for some really good advice on how to make the most out of these tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #36
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, Comparing Direzzas and RS3s to R888s. R888s are about 1 second faster than those.

You did great with NT01s. I wasn't very impressed with the R888s.
I can only imagine how much better they'll be than my Hankook Evos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
I knew I could count on you to test drive the right tires for me

While you're waiting for delivery, have a look at the track subforum of bimmerforums, search for NT01 as the subject for some really good advice on how to make the most out of these tires.
Thanks for the advice. Will do. So, do you also have a track dedicated setup? If so, perhaps this will be the right tire for you too. I'll be sure to give an update on fitment in the next week or so. Of course, I won't be able to test them at the track until much later. As of now, my next (already paid) event is Laguna Seca on Dec 31st.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #37
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Will do. So, do you also have a track dedicated setup? If so, perhaps this will be the right tire for you too. I'll be sure to give an update on fitment in the next week or so. Of course, I won't be able to test them at the track until much later. As of now, my next (already paid) event is Laguna Seca on Dec 31st.
Take your time, we're expecting 3-6in of snow tomorrow on this side of the US of A :-)

As long as you test this by April 2012 I'll be happy...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 09:46 AM   #38
meepster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
Take your time, we're expecting 3-6in of snow tomorrow on this side of the US of A :-)

As long as you test this by April 2012 I'll be happy...
Peter - dont worry, I'll have my Apex 17x9 setup with Nitto NT-01s out here on the east coast by then. They are pretty awesome, though as JBass indicated, I'm the real area for development. So you'll be able to kick my butt either way
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #39
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepster View Post
Peter - dont worry, I'll have my Apex 17x9 setup with Nitto NT-01s out here on the east coast by then. They are pretty awesome, though as JBass indicated, I'm the real area for development. So you'll be able to kick my butt either way
Don't be so hard on yourself. You have good lines. I should know as I've trailed behind you often.

So is the Boxster coming to the west coast? If so, you going to track that too or just the e36?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #40
meepster
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Don't be so hard on yourself. You have good lines. I should know as I've trailed behind you often.

So is the Boxster coming to the west coast? If so, you going to track that too or just the e36?
Going to stick to tracking the E36 - might take the Boxster out one day (Infineon) just to see what it's like on tracks I'm more familiar with. I know I'll need better pads (based on my east coast adventures) and it's a slippery slope. So I'm a bit cautious.

My friend who had the 330i is considering getting a Boxster to bring out, so I might just ride with him. We'll see. Given it's now snowing outside, I really need to get this move going!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 01:19 PM   #41
meepster
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I can only imagine how much better they'll be than my Hankook Evos!

I figured I should contribute my thoughts/experience with tires although I'm a bit late to the thread - but for the E92 335i:
* I've run Michelin PS2s (and super sports) on 19's prior to getting my track dedicated setup. I highly recommend the PS2s (though they are expensive) as a great track/street tire and as a place to start (especially if you have them as OE tires on your car).
* I've also run with Bridgestone RFTs (RE050A's I think - first track day) and they actually did OK though they got slippery pretty quickly and that was less fun.
* I've run Michelin Pilot Sport Cups (expensive R-comps) and they were like glue. I only had them on the front wheels (at Infineon) for two sessions because the rears were rubbing. It was a weird setup, the rears were on 19" super sports and the fronts were on 18" PSCs so the overall traction was probably a little bit off. But they inspired a LOT of confidence and the car really felt like it was on rails.
* The RS3 is probably a great tire - no personal experience. For heavier cars, like ours, I've been told they stand-up fine for road tracking as well as AutoX. Specifically, one of the guys we run with in NorCal has a G35 sedan he upgraded to RS3s (I think from Ventus V12s) and the grip increase/longevity of the tire has been pretty awesome.

My current setup on the 335i is the Apex Arc-8 17x9 square setup with Nitto NT-01 (255/40ZR17). I highly recommend it, though the car didn't feel as much like it was glued to the track as the PSCs did. They are cost effective, very sticky, seem pretty durable and otherwise have been a great intro R-comp for me. I'm not pushing them nearly as hard as I could/should, but I'm still learning. Also, I've only run them for 3 track days this year, so my experience is limited. We'll see how they do next year.

On the E36 M3:
* I've run the Direzza Star Specs in the wet and they've been pretty sweet. I would compare them to the PS2s that I ran in the wet with - safe and reasonable. The star specs are about $50/tire cheaper than the Pilot Super Sport (replacement for the PS2s) and thus I'd go with them over the Michelins. These are on 18" rims and staggered, so not optimal for the track, but I was really happy with the performance. I was not pushing the car too hard (it was wet, I had just gotten it) but tires didn't seem to be at all limiting me.
* On the track wheel setup that I got with the car (17 x 8" square??) I am running a set of older Toyo R888 R-comps (from 2008). So they are a bit harder but still lots of life in them according to the guys at Aim tire at Infineon. The BBS RK wheels are a little bit tricky (had a bend) so also hard to compare them to the Apex setup, but the car felt fine to me. Because of the age of the tires and the wheel bend I did not run too hard with this setup. My times, on my first day trying them, were inline with my best 335i Infineon times (2:08) so clearly the car setup/tires were pretty comfortable though I was not near the edge of what they felt capable of doing.
* My plan is to go to an Apex Arc-8 setup with this car on Nitto NT-01s (what all the time trial folks recommend) sometime in the 2012 season.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #42
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Check this out! 275/40/17?!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...5#post10707165
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #43
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

wow, I wasn't expecting that. Can you please measure clearance from strut to tire? I'll try to do the same tomorrow with 245s (SS) and 255s (RE050) without spacers though.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #44
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Just came back from a weekend at Summit Point, probably pushed the car harder than other events and the Star Specs held up well although I noticed they started getting greasy after 20 minutes or so. Back end would slide slightly as I entered the carousel but nothing that couldn't be controlled.