E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > ***Make Your N55 Shoot Flames (DIY GUIDE) + VIDEO***

02-26-2017, 06:17 AM   #1
Dowdogg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LCI 335i E90 Space Gray

***Make Your N55 Shoot Flames (DIY GUIDE) + VIDEO***

Hello E90post,

Today I bring you something to break E90post with. The video describes the majority of details in regard to how to receive this wonderful and dangerous effect. This thread will mainly be for discussion and questions.

Without further ado:

FAQ:

Q: Will this make my car blow up?

A: Potentially, especially if you do not follow the guidelines outlined in the video.

Q: Is this tune 100% perfect?

A: No, I have been working in collaboration to make this tune a reality for quite sometime now and it will receive revision, we simply released it because the public will want it and the effects are there (STILL IN BETA)

Q: Will my car catch on fire?

A: Potentially, have you ever seen one of those lambo videos? Some of these flames are legitimately several feet long, so be conscious of that fact and act accordingly.

Q: Is this CARB legal?

A: Please leave the forum at once.

Q: Will my car shoot flames while free-revving so I can get my local car meet rolled by my local police department?

A: Yes, you will have that right. All of the action happens above 5K, so you will already be likely arrested.

Q: Is this compatible with N54?

A: We are currently testing on N54 and making the necessary adjustments for a different motor. Stay posted for updates.

Q: Can I run this on my stock N55 with MHD?

A: That's up to you, but I will tell you now it won't end well.

Q: How safe is this tune?

A: You are shooting 3 foot blue flames out the back of your car, how safe can it really be?

Q: Can I make my personal adjustments to the tune?

A: Yes, and in the spirit of Christmas, it would be wonderful if you shared them in this thread so everyone can benefit, just as I have presented this very tune for all you guys.

Q: Will this tune rob me of performance?

A: I dynoed my personal N55 (as seen in the video) pre and post-tune. I lost a total of 8WHP and no torque loss. That is within the margin of error. Thus, you may or may not. Concerned? Dyno your car.

Q: If I blow up my stock N55 running your tune, can I sue you using the full extent of the law?

A: Good luck. You do this under your own risk, and I have no right to say whether you should or shouldn't do anything, just don't come crying to me.

Q: What is your exhaust set-up?

A: VRSF 3.5 DP to a custom 3" all the way back. No resonators. I have an electric cut-out with a turndown right after the downpipe and a extremely restrictive muffler (intentionally to be quiet when I want to, which is 80% of the time) which turns down at the differential.

Any other questions? PM me or post here.

We want to see as many people (that qualify) running this set-up so we can show the world what real men do in their spare time.

Remember: Enjoy and be safe!
Appreciate 3
      02-26-2017, 11:29 AM   #2
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 335I

This is crazy, some will say "Rice or Ricey" but I always think when I see cars shooting flames (especially at night) that it looks bad @$$.

Maybe you're on to some new trend here but time will tell as most forum members will not be willing to risk loosing HP and the possibility of baking their cars <<haha.

Nicely done/well edited video, I only wish I could see what those flames look like shooting out from a side of the vehicle profile and at night.

Perfect it and they will come, have fun.
Peace
Mods: MHD Stg 2, xHP Flashtool Stage 3, VRSF 3" Chargepipe, Megan 4" Downpipes, Pure N55 Inlet, Outlet, VSRF 5" Stepped Intercooler, GFB Diverter, BMS N55 Intake, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, CF Spoiler, CF Kidney Grille, CF Mirror Covers, CF Eyelids, CF Wheel Hub Covers, CF Diffuser, M Sport Racing Strip, 20% Tints, and Golf Tee Mod
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 12:09 PM   #3
mpls_M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80

Very cool. Just waiting for MHD to add burble intensity, I'm sure that will do the trick. The N55 guys with Bootmod3 can do it

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ-b9wgjDv-/

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 03:16 PM   #4
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

At least you're 100% up front with the risk It's cool that you figured it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 03:26 PM   #5
Joey911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i MT w/ M Sport

Do you happen to have a log? Wondering what the ignition timing looks like compare to regular
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 11:07 PM   #6
Dowdogg
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBMW335I View Post
This is crazy, some will say "Rice or Ricey" but I always think when I see cars shooting flames (especially at night) that it looks bad @$$.

Maybe you're on to some new trend here but time will tell as most forum members will not be willing to risk loosing HP and the possibility of baking their cars <<haha.

Nicely done/well edited video, I only wish I could see what those flames look like shooting out from a side of the vehicle profile and at night.

Peace
Cheers man, come to Southern California and I'll show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihazvtak View Post
Very cool. Just waiting for MHD to add burble intensity, I'm sure that will do the trick. The N55 guys with Bootmod3 can do it

Yeah, MHD will never make the burble intensity this "intense" even when they release it for N55. This is balls to the wall extreme. Yeah, I've seen the Bootmod3 stuff, its cool and all, the only difference between that and this is the amount and severity of flames and the severity of backfire. Not to mention free vs $600+ dollars. If you heard and saw this tune in person, you'd be calling the bootmod3 version cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Yeah man, this ain't no joke lmao. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey911 View Post
Do you happen to have a log? Wondering what the ignition timing looks like compare to regular
Terry just posted this yesterday -

"Depending on the firmware we might have set it not to report timing at 0% gas pedal input, and in all cases we cut off negative timing and show it as 0"

You wouldn't be able to tell, if you want to see what it SHOULD be ideally, watch the video for the timing table.
Appreciate 1
BKBMW335I156.50
      02-27-2017, 11:25 PM   #7
victorg95
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 335xi ///M Sport

I wanna see a picture or video with exhaust tips

Black Kidney Grilles | M-Performance Spoiler | M-Performance Side Extension | CF Interior Trim | MHD Tuned
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 03:27 PM   #8
mpaone23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i xDrive

Subscribed, this is wild!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 07:05 AM   #9
Joey911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowdogg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBMW335I View Post

Peace
Cheers man, come to Southern California and I'll show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihazvtak View Post

Yeah, MHD will never make the burble intensity this "intense" even when they release it for N55. This is balls to the wall extreme. Yeah, I've seen the Bootmod3 stuff, its cool and all, the only difference between that and this is the amount and severity of flames and the severity of backfire. Not to mention free vs $600+ dollars. If you heard and saw this tune in person, you'd be calling the bootmod3 version cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Yeah man, this ain't no joke lmao. Cheers.

Quote:
Terry just posted this yesterday -

"Depending on the firmware we might have set it not to report timing at 0% gas pedal input, and in all cases we cut off negative timing and show it as 0"

You wouldn't be able to tell, if you want to see what it SHOULD be ideally, watch the video for the timing table.
I've been trying to figure out which map it uses when FUEL MODE = 3, I don't think those tables are available. I think it cutoff fuel delivery. But right before switching to FUEL MODE 3, it would hit the timing in Timing(Main) for like 1 time, and it would gives you a loud bang haha
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 03:01 AM   #10
Dowdogg
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I've been trying to figure out which map it uses when FUEL MODE = 3, I don't think those tables are available. I think it cutoff fuel delivery. But right before switching to FUEL MODE 3, it would hit the timing in Timing(Main) for like 1 time, and it would gives you a loud bang haha

yeah, the tables for cutoff fuel delivery are not unlocked so i circumvented by just addressing ignition.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 06:53 AM   #11
Joey911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

yeah, the tables for cutoff fuel delivery are not unlocked so i circumvented by just addressing ignition.
Anyway, appreciate for your effort! Waiting for MHD to unlock more tables.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #12
Dowdogg
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
All we can do is wait
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 08:49 PM   #13
Joey911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
All we can do is wait
Been using his method since he released it!

Cool thing is that it does pop loud with flame occasionally (catless stock catback) since we only have access to timing (main), but the DME doesn't seem to hit and stay at timing (main) during shift and off throttle, it's only there for like one moment, and that's enough to make a loud pop.

Bad thing is, if you drive at RPM with low load, it stumbles cause it's using the timing (-40!) that we altered to make fire lol

I found it most likely to pop if you get to the RPM that pops -> clutch in and shift into the next gear -> bang. Shifting fast at a WOT run is less likely to pop for me.

Anyway, it's been awesome and thanks for giving me a reason to shift slowly now haha
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 11:15 PM   #14
Dowdogg
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Cool thing is that it does pop loud with flame occasionally (catless stock catback) since we only have access to timing (main), but the DME doesn't seem to hit and stay at timing (main) during shift and off throttle, it's only there for like one moment, and that's enough to make a loud pop.

Bad thing is, if you drive at RPM with low load, it stumbles cause it's using the timing (-40!) that we altered to make fire lol

I found it most likely to pop if you get to the RPM that pops -> clutch in and shift into the next gear -> bang. Shifting fast at a WOT run is less likely to pop for me.

Anyway, it's been awesome and thanks for giving me a reason to shift slowly now haha
Yeah, if we could get access to more tables we could definitely clean up the consistency and timing transitional smoothness.. Get some video man! I'd like to see haha. I'm glad it worked for you for the most part.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 02:59 PM   #15
victorg95
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
All we can do is wait

Video!

Black Kidney Grilles | M-Performance Spoiler | M-Performance Side Extension | CF Interior Trim | MHD Tuned
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 09:24 PM   #16
Joey911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorg95 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
All we can do is wait

Video!
Seems to do it less/none when I started spraying 99% methanol..... wtf, aren't it supposed to go the opposite way lol

Hopefully it's just way too cold
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 10:12 PM   #17
victorg95
First Lieutenant
Rep

Can someone send me this? Stage 2+ (93oct) or e30 w/xdrive

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 12:00 AM   #18
Dowdogg
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Seems to do it less/none when I started spraying 99% methanol..... wtf, aren't it supposed to go the opposite way lol

Hopefully it's just way too cold

Hm... thats interesting. are you running a different flash for meth?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 12:02 AM   #19
Dowdogg
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorg95 View Post
Can someone send me this? Stage 2+ (93oct) or e30 w/xdrive

This isnt compatible with MHD stand alone flashing unless you have a custom tune, you would have to overlay the data onto your custom tune or overall onto your BEF tune for it work.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 02:37 AM   #20
MFox
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 335xi

I was able to get a few quick videos of what this looks like while just revving your engine. Unfortunately it was a little too cold and icy to get any videos banging through the gears but the "pops" are just as loud if you shift correctly. FBO running 91 and fully straight piped. It is pretty obnoxious.

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #21
victorg95
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFox View Post
I was able to get a few quick videos of what this looks like while just revving your engine. Unfortunately it was a little too cold and icy to get any videos banging through the gears but the "pops" are just as loud if you shift correctly. FBO running 91 and fully straight piped. It is pretty obnoxious.

Could you send me that map file ?

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 09:22 AM   #22
Dekansnowman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan Space Grey

Quote:

Q: Is this CARB legal?

A: Please leave the forum at once.

Q: How safe is this tune?

A: You are shooting 3 foot blue flames out the back of your car, how safe can it really be?
I'm dying over here, lol. Especially, "Leave the forum at once".
PURE Stage 2 w/Inlet | Full E85 | Wedge Tuned | Alpina TCU | BMS Intake | Wagner 6" FMIC | VRSF Chargepipe | VRSF Downpipe | Boost Concepts Stage 2 LPFP | Fuel-It TBI | AEM Meth/Water | MFactory LSD | ST Coilovers | GFB DV Valve | N20 MAP
Appreciate 0