E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Confirming Failed Transfer Case Actuator Motor

07-28-2018, 10:45 AM   #1
DPDISXR4Ti
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Confirming Failed Transfer Case Actuator Motor

Vehicle is a 2006 325 xi w/ Automatic, 175K miles. My neighbor just picked up the car from a relative, so the history is a bit unknown. It has the typical array of error lights - 4x4, ABS, Brake - which would point to a failed Transfer Case Actuator Motor. I pulled the following error codes...

VTG Transfer Case
55C3
539E

DCS
5F3A
C998
5DCF
5EBA
94BB

I cleared all codes and I suspected most all of them came back. Frankly, I didn't even check, but the array of messages in the IC all re-appeared.

From what I read it sounds like a failed transfer case actuator motor, but I'd like to be more certain before I order the part.
- Can I pull the existing motor and verify it's failed?

The only thing that's not consistent with what I read is the clicking/grinding noise - I hear none of that. But perhaps that stops if the car is used for XXXX miles after failure? I don't have any idea how long the car may have been run in this state.

Appreciate any input.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 10:30 AM   #2
Spitzenpradator
Dan
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupe

It's pretty simple to reach the actuator, dismantle the electric motor, and look for the worm gear ... If you have NO TEETH on the motor side, you won't hear any noise ... Mine it's on his was since last week and I still hear the noise ...
      07-30-2018, 12:35 PM   #3
DPDISXR4Ti
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitzenpradator View Post
It's pretty simple to reach the actuator, dismantle the electric motor, and look for the worm gear ... If you have NO TEETH on the motor side, you won't hear any noise ... Mine it's on his was since last week and I still hear the noise ...
Thanks for the logical input.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 08:01 PM   #4
DPDISXR4Ti
United_States
Rep

I decided to just assume the gears had stripped and ordered up a new one. In fact, upon removal I found that the original one had "very failed" gears, which explains why they weren't making any more noise.

New motor installed, cleared all error codes, and most have not come back. The only thing that remains are F513 and C998 error codes, which relate to the rear brake pads - probably a failed wear sensor and unrelated to the actuator motor.
Appreciate 0