E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Rough Idle___HELP!! Please HELP!!!!!!

01-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
kgrant1134
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Exclamation Rough Idle___HELP!! Please HELP!!!!!!

I have given up with the local dealership and I need the help of those who know BMWs.

MY CAR: 2006 330xi automatic shift with 93k miles with I-Drive

ISSUE: I have an extremely rough idle on warm starts that lasts for about a good 10-15 seconds. I don't experience this issue on cold starts when the car has been sitting overnight or long periods of time. But when I drive and turn it off and start it back up a few minutes or hours later the first 5 seconds it acts normal. But then for about the next 10-15 seconds the car will shake and the idle will fluctuate and drop below 500. If I put the car in drive or reverse it would almost seem like it would stall. However, after it goes away I don't experience with any issues with the performance or engine lights.
I have noticed that if the engine is revved up after starting, the rough idle would go away. But I do not want to do this every time.

WORK: The local dealership has replaced all 6 plugs, coils and injectors over the past month. They have given me fuel cleaner but the problem consists, too

I am frustrated, because the dealership keeps giving me the car back telling me the problem is fixed but when I drive the car home and start it up the next day, the problem is the same.

I have owned a E46 prior that had 160k miles, and I never had any problem like this ever.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME, because BMW CLEVELAND dealerships is refusing.

PLEASE HELP!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
BlackDesertTango
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330

To begin with basic troubleshooting rough idle, I like to think it has to do with three categories, air, fuel, or ignition.

First thing I would check is your spark plugs yourself. If your dealership is giving you bad quality service I would try this. Your spark plugs gives you a good indication of what is going on in your engine.

What commonly ruins spark plug electrodes is usually water or oil-which can leak via a bad valve cover gasket.

What commonly ruins coils (this sucks since we have direct ignition) is moisture and oil once again.

A couple days ago, I had a rough idle at start up which turned into a misfire days later.

CEL came on, I ran a reading and sure enough, misfire on cylinder 5.

I check the spark plug had dried oil and some remains of oil on the porcelain.
I check the other cylinders and sure enough a bunch of dried up oil on the other spark plugs. The larger valve cover gasket isn't leaking but the gasket around the sparkplug cylinders are.

Short note: Check you spark plugs, hope that helps.

If anyone else wants to add on and clarify any mistakes in my advice, let the man know so he can figure out what to do next.
      01-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
Bugra
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

I'd say check your injectors.If possible send for flow matching.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 12:09 AM   #4
queensfield
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i E90

Check your Vanos (may be dirty), clean Mass Air Flow sensor with CRC MAF cleaner, and check your oxygen sensors.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
RaceBlood
Going nowhere fast.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 wheels

How is the coolant levels, any detection of coolant smell when hot? Could be gasket..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
kgrant1134
Rep

Rough Idle

Thanks everyone, I will start looking into all the suggestions.

I don't have a code reader, are there any suggestions for code reader?

This will be a new challenge, I have always relied on the dealership and they have fixed everything. I will be working on my 330xi for the first time ever.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
queensfield
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i E90

Check out Bavarian Technic for code reading.
You can do the maintenance, but start slow and with simple stuff. These cars are easy to work on, but have their own idiosyncracies on how to remove and put on stuff.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
kgrant1134
Rep

rough idle

how does the oxygen sensor work?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
autoque
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 3.0si

Have you had the tappet or the cylinder head replaced before? Any work on the engine?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
kgrant1134
Rep

rough idle

No work on the engine or heads ever.

Before I started the car this morning, i pulled the plugs and coils and they were all dry. And the car started perfect like every morning. I drove it around the development and then turned it off for 10 mins and then restarted it.... The rough idle was there and the car shakes too. But then it stopped after 15 seconds.

So I pulled the plugs and they were still dry....
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
kgrant1134
Rep

rough idle

Actually, yes.... I forgot that about a year ago I had clicking sound, so they replaced a lifter. And about 2 months ago the clicking sound came back and they replaced the remaining lifters.

Since then I never had any noise...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #12
autoque
Private
Rep

Would it be safe to say the rough idle started after the lifter replacement?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
kgrant1134
Rep

Rough Idle

I would say its more noticeable.

However, I would expect that all starts would be rough.

For example this morning it started perfect! But when I left for lunch, it had the rough idle that made the car shake too.

I did get a code reader and nothing pops up......

So lost!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #14
autoque
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrant1134 View Post
Actually, yes.... I forgot that about a year ago I had clicking sound, so they replaced a lifter. And about 2 months ago the clicking sound came back and they replaced the remaining lifters.
Are you absolutely certain the dealership did not replace the cylinder head? Normally, after replacing the lifters, if you still have the noise, the next step is replacing the cylinder head. I haven't read/heard anyone who had the lifters replaced partly and then got the rest of the lifters replaced when the noise came back. If you read the Sticky about the metallic ticking noise, the second time you bring the vehicle to the dealer for the noise, it's the cylinder head. And there are some people who complain about the same problem after cylinder head replacement shown on this thread here I created. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477603

By the way, My vehicle has exactly the same symptom as your vehicle does. It only does it when the engine is warm, and it does it within ~15 seconds of engine start up, usually when the vehicle is driven, then turned off and after maybe minutes to hours, starting it back up produces the symptoms. It's a lot worse during the summer when the temperature is high so the engine doesn't need as much warm up. I had lifters and cylinder head replaced, and the problem appeared exactly after the replacement. The dealer had the spark plugs replaced, but not much change.
Try to get it serviced at another helpful dealer and mention to them it may be related to the lifter/head replacement. And if you ever get it fixed, update with a post!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #15
autoque
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrant1134 View Post
For example this morning it started perfect! But when I left for lunch, it had the rough idle that made the car shake too.

I did get a code reader and nothing pops up......

So lost!
During the winter mornings, the vehicle doesn't show the symptom as much because the RPM gauge surges up very high to warm the engine up. But once the engine has been warmed up and minutes or hours later when the engine doesn't need as much warming up, then the engine shows the symptom.

Forget about the code reader. It has never shown any kind of code even with the machines the BMW dealers use. Are you still under warranty? I'm not.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #16
kgrant1134
Rep

I am still under warranty. Its going back for a third time next week. So frustrated.

I am wondering if its a air control valve?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #17
kgrant1134
Rep

rough idle

I went to the dealership today and got the entire service history of my car.

When I had the ticking sound, it stated that they replaced the lifters. And then about a month ago when it came back they replaced the HVAS and rocker arms.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 12:05 AM   #18
autoque
Private
Rep

Good you are still under warranty. The dealer should take care of you.

Let them have the car overnight and tell them it happens when the engine is warm. It may help them with the diagnosis.

At this point, it seems no one on this forum can even remotely guess what the root of the problem may be.

I'm crazy curious as well. This has been bugging me for exactly two years, since the lifter/cylinder head replacement in January of '10. What sets our problem apart from other misfire symptoms is the ambient/engine temperature has a big effect on the rough idle.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 12:49 AM   #19
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Fuel filter? Mass airflow sensor? Injectors? Intake manifold gasket leak?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #20
autoque
Private
Rep

Any news from the dealership?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #21
kgrant1134
Rep

I just got it back last week. They replaced the Vanos solenoids and checked the intake manifold which was clean and the valves were clean too. The compresion and leakdown check and everything was in range.

I would say that they got it about 98%, there is a small rough idle but its very random. I have only experienced it twice in the past week. But the rough idle is so minimal.

Stay tuned, they want me to drive for a week or two to keep track and then report back.

I am so happy, but cautious. And it did not cost me a cent.

Note* They did an oil change and air filter replaced, when they had my car for 3 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #22
dassub
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 328xi sport line

Garage List
Same tank of gas? I had rough idle for 2 weeks not long ago, and I have chalked it up to a bad batch of gas, as now that I'm on a new tank of gas, the problem has since gone away.
Appreciate 0