E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How do you keep the ignition on

02-13-2017, 11:36 PM   #1
Stormnorman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335I (RIP), 335D

How do you keep the ignition on

I'm trying to bleed my coolant system but my car keeps shutting off! How do you keep it on? 2011 335i xdrive n55
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 11:56 PM   #2
asquared
E39
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2000 540i

I just did mine about a week ago. Just put the key in and pushed the button with my foot off the brake. Didn't have an issue with mine.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 02:35 AM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Are you using the coolant purge procedure in which the
electric water pump is turned on for 10 minutes ?
Maybe your battery is to depleted to run for that amount
of time. Try putting a full charge on the battery .
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 03:35 AM   #4
Stormnorman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Are you using the coolant purge procedure in which the
electric water pump is turned on for 10 minutes ?
Maybe your battery is to depleted to run for that amount
of time. Try putting a full charge on the battery .
I have a battery charger hooked up waited about 3 hours till i checked the needle and it was at 100% at that time i tried the purge procedure again and the ignition still cut out. looked at the needle and it went down to 25% maybe its the charger im using? what chargers do you guys have?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 10:56 PM   #5
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

Need to keep a door open or it goes to sleep?
      02-15-2017, 03:57 AM   #6
Gaspo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E91 320D -2009

Why do this bleeding procedure. It's a self bleeding system. Or does the electric water pump live its own life going on and off when you drive the car?
Start the car and let it run on idle with cap to the expansion tank off. Look at the stream in the expansion tank you will see a clear stream just after a few minutes.
Appreciate 1
ewicky204.00
      02-15-2017, 04:48 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobeus View Post
Why do this bleeding procedure. It's a self bleeding system. Or does the electric water pump live its own life going on and off when you drive the car?
Start the car and let it run on idle with cap to the expansion tank off. Look at the stream in the expansion tank you will see a clear stream just after a few minutes.
This is the completely wrong process and should not be followed for a BMW with an electric water pump. First off the E9X doesn't have an "expansion tank"; it has a coolant reservoir. Second, the head can get air trapped in it and block coolant flow while the engine is warming up. The head on any engine warms up very quickly. The electric pump and cold bleeding procedure prevents this from happening.

OP. Fill the system with coolant until the bleed screw bubbles stop. Close the coolant reservoir cap and bleed screw. Insert the key fob into the dash slot. Keep your foot off the brake pedal and push the start button, the car now is in ignition mode. Turn the heater fan to low and set the temperature dials to max (84 deg. F). Hold the gas pedal down for 10 seconds and release. The water pump will run for 12 minutes and then stop. Top off the coolant as necessary once it bleeds.

You absolutely don't need to use a supplemental 12V power source for the bleeding procedure. The battery if fully charged has enough reserve power to run the pump for 12 minutes. However, just for good measure, what I do is take a spare battery and jump it to the terminals under the hood. If you have some type of charger on the battery terminals in the trunk, the IBS may be turning off the system.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 07:29 AM   #8
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
This is the completely wrong process and should not be followed for a BMW with an electric water pump. First off the E9X doesn't have an "expansion tank"; it has a coolant reservoir. Second, the head can get air trapped in it and block coolant flow while the engine is warming up. The head on any engine warms up very quickly. The electric pump and cold bleeding procedure prevents this from happening.

OP. Fill the system with coolant until the bleed screw bubbles stop. Close the coolant reservoir cap and bleed screw. Insert the key fob into the dash slot. Keep your foot off the brake pedal and push the start button, the car now is in ignition mode. Turn the heater fan to low and set the temperature dials to max (84 deg. F). Hold the gas pedal down for 10 seconds and release. The water pump will run for 12 minutes and then stop. Top off the coolant as necessary once it bleeds.

You absolutely don't need to use a supplemental 12V power source for the bleeding procedure. The battery if fully charged has enough reserve power to run the pump for 12 minutes. However, just for good measure, what I do is take a spare battery and jump it to the terminals under the hood. If you have some type of charger on the battery terminals in the trunk, the IBS may be turning off the system.
In the Bentley service manual it is referenced to as bmw coolant expansion tank.

Probably since coolant expands when hot and overflows back into the expansion tank.
Appreciate 1
ewicky204.00
      02-15-2017, 07:45 AM   #9
AM330i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 535xi 11 328xi

Garage List
2023 BMW M440  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
In the Bentley service manual it is referenced to as bmw coolant expansion tank.

Probably since coolant expands when hot and overflows back into the expansion tank.
Exactly. Since the tank does not get filled all the way to the top, Its to allow the coolant to expand as it warms up.
Appreciate 1
ewicky204.00
      02-15-2017, 09:03 AM   #10
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

just my thoughts on the battery....when folks code their cars, they use a very expensive power supply that is capable of often 70A of clean power, this is not the same as a $80 battery charger....the reason is the battery charger's voltage will spike as the car demands more amperage. With this being said, I have never bled my cooling, and when I did the ABL procedure on the DSC Hydro pump, I simply did it on my battery with nothing hooked up to it. I figured if it died, then I would have to start all over, or buy an expensive power supply, or even have another car running and hook up boosters...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 11:47 AM   #11
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormnorman View Post
I'm trying to bleed my coolant system but my car keeps shutting off! How do you keep it on? 2011 335i xdrive n55
the ignition will probably shit off if you dont have enough power. weak battery?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 05:28 AM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post

I realize the Bentley calls it an expansion tank and so does BMW in the parts TIS, but in reality it is a coolant reservoir. The E9X radiator has no significant reservoir of coolant in its design and uses the "expansion" tank as coolant storage. I make the distinction because the coolant reservoir is pressurized and feeds coolant to the cooling system and the coolant in the reservoir tank is scalding hot. Open it while the engine is hot and you'll be headed to the hospital trauma center.

A lot of cars use coolant "expansion" tanks to catch coolant from the system as it expands and over-pressurizes the system. So those expansion tanks really only hold cold coolant and are not pressurized, and they don't feed coolant back into the system. In those systems the radiator holds all the cooling system coolant and the expansion tank is there only to catch an overflow of coolant if the system overheats and over pressurizes. An expansion tank can be opened with the engine running and the cooling system at normal operating temperature.

On the E9X system, as anyone who has experienced a dead water pump knows, if the cooling system overheats and over pressurizes, the coolant reservoir discharges coolant into the engine bay and makes a mess. If you look closely at the design of the cap and filler neck you'll see where the cap is designed to release hot coolant into a channel around the filler neck under the lip of the cap.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 02-16-2017 at 05:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 08:18 AM   #13
Gaspo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E91 320D -2009

Funny Haynes manual calls it "expansion tank to. And BMW mechanics to.

Last edited by Gaspo; 02-19-2017 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
ewicky204.00
      04-05-2020, 09:51 PM   #14
Stormnorman
United_States
Rep

Lol old thread but I thought I would update it. A member from Facebook said it had to do with my door being open or closed and that ended up being the solution lol
Appreciate 0