E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > BMW 330D E92 Electric Power Steering Fault

09-03-2015, 03:36 AM   #1
steven_c
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E92

BMW 330D E92 Electric Power Steering Fault

I'm wondering if anyone can help, I have a 2006 330D E92, and I have an intermittent steering fault.

It happens rarely, but sometimes if I drive the car for an hour or two, if I then switch off the car and turn it on again a few minutes later I get power steering fault light on the dash and the power steering stops working. If I turn the vehicle off and on again repeatedly it will still come up with the error, but I leave the car for an hour or 2 it starts working again.

It's like it's doing some sort of diagnostic check when the ignition goes on, because when it's going to fail the steering twitches, when it's going to work the steering doesn't twitch.

I've had diagnostics software plugged into the vehicle but I don't get any fault codes.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 06:46 AM   #2
PearlJam
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_c View Post
I'm wondering if anyone can help, I have a 2006 330D E92, and I have an intermittent steering fault.

It happens rarely, but sometimes if I drive the car for an hour or two, if I then switch off the car and turn it on again a few minutes later I get power steering fault light on the dash and the power steering stops working. If I turn the vehicle off and on again repeatedly it will still come up with the error, but I leave the car for an hour or 2 it starts working again.

It's like it's doing some sort of diagnostic check when the ignition goes on, because when it's going to fail the steering twitches, when it's going to work the steering doesn't twitch.

I've had diagnostics software plugged into the vehicle but I don't get any fault codes.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Did anyone ever find the cause of this? Sorry for bumping an old thread but I’m having exactly the same experience with my 2007 330d
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 09:29 AM   #3
ed330D
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: E92 330D

Around about this time (early to mid 2000s) there was a well known fault such as you describe. My Z4 had the complete steering column replaced under warranty after it locked solid after starting it up one day - scary. It's an expensive repair circa plus £1000. Try Google for the fault.
Appreciate 0