E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Long term 335i a good idea?

06-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
Chicks-Love-Bimmers
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: FBO 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Long term 335i a good idea?

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a new car at the moment and the 335i is first on my list. The one I'm particularly looking at is at 30,000 miles and has the warranty only for another 10,000 miles. I plan on keeping the car for at least five years probably, so would a 335i still be a good idea? I'm thinking of getting an extended warranty, anyone know how much this may cost and if it's necessary?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
Atombyte
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3, 2016 535i, 2019 540i

Garage List
2019 540i  [0.00]
2016 535i  [0.00]
2013 M3  [0.00]
Factory warranty is good for 4 years/50,000 miles. HPFP warranty has been extended to 120,000 miles.

Long-term reliability is unknown with the 335 since it debuted for the 2007 model year, but short-term reliability has not been very good. If you plan to buy, I would advise an extended warranty and putting money aside for repairs as extended warranties do not cover everything.
      06-11-2010, 03:02 AM   #3
hjernazian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

although this topic has been covered, it nonetheless is a great one, as I was in the same position as you a few months back. A few points to consider.

1. If you don't plan on purchasing a form of extended warranty to cover your vehicle until 100k miles, don't even consider buying the bmw, or any luxury car for that matter. Parts break, things go wrong... transmissions, turbos, clutch (if MT), and other expensive things need replacing. I once bought a used 540i without a warranty, big mistake. BMW offers their extended warranty but for me, it was a little over $4,000 which is a lot. I purchased a 2007 335i with roughly 42k miles on it, so in a similar position. Instead, I purchased a third-party warranty for $2,400 that covers everything on my car that bmw covers until 100k miles. I can even take into BMW and bill the warranty for work done. Basically, no budget for warranty = don't even consider it. If you do however purchase the warranty, there is no reason this car will not last you until 100k miles. I don't know if the 70k remaining on the vehicle will cover you for 5 years, but it should.

2. Depending on your luck, you might purchase a car with chronic HPFP issues. This means possibly getting stuck somewhere on the road, long and annoying cranks in the morning, consistent visits to the dealership, dealerships giving you the run-around and so. I myself had not encountered this until recently. My car had no history of any HPFP issues until it hit about 55k, it gave me long cranks for a few weeks, then finally it gave me the reduced engine power light. Took it in, few days later (only because the new HPFP was on backorder, should normally be same day) had my car back and it's good as new. I only bring this up because some people do not have the time to take their car in that often and it becomes annoying and a time wasting. But again, this is a big maybe. Like I said I had my first fuel pump give out at 55k miles, and my friend had 5 give out in the first 15k miles. Make sure the vehicle you are purchasing is free from these issues.

3. If you're not going to buy a BMW because you don't think it will last you as long as you want in used condition, do not consider any luxury/performance vehicle then. BMW is probably one of the better of this used class. Lexus, Mercedes, and especially Audi give many more problems in the long run than BMW's when purchased used.

... all in all, i think if you're willing to pay the extra couple of K for warranty, and don't mind the POSSIBLE frequent visits to the dealer (HPFP is covered by BMW until 120k miles btw, so you wouldn't even need a warranty for that), then this really is a no brainer. This car is an absolute joy to drive and I have a smile on my face every morning I turn on my car.
      06-11-2010, 03:51 AM   #4
zaheer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

every bmw i have owned has always just been out of warranty...and have never had any problems over then servicing. my advice is just to buy on the low 20k for mileage and u should be fine for 5 years...

As long as you dont abuse the car then nothing should go wrong.. other then HPFP
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 04:29 AM   #5
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaheer View Post
every bmw i have owned has always just been out of warranty...and have never had any problems over then servicing. my advice is just to buy on the low 20k for mileage and u should be fine for 5 years...

As long as you dont abuse the car then nothing should go wrong.. other then HPFP
Have you had a n54 or a 540 or 750? I don't agree with this advice.

My friend with a 2k5 ZHP 330 said NOTHING has broken on his car, EXCEPT 2 water pumps. EXCEPT 2 water pumps may be ok for a BMW, but is a joke if you were talking about a Hyundai or Kia or Yugo.

My car has low mileage (19k) and if I added up the retail price of the repairs it's had so far, it would exceed $5000. HPFP being covered 10/120 so you're ok is a myth imho. I do plan on extending my warranty out to 7/100.

To those who keep thousand dollar bills in their dresser, if you don't plan on getting a warranty, then just pull 3 or 4 out every time you go to the dealership, just in case...that SES lamp you just got could be more than $1000.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 04:52 AM   #6
AYF80
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY F80

Just get your own warranty from 3rd party...it last forever and you can take your car to ANY shop you want as much as you need.

That’s what I’m doing, 150 a month for a full coverage warranty for as long as I pay the bill.

you can do this for any car, boat, bike...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 05:20 AM   #7
Aija
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335Coupe 6-Speed!

im in the similiar boat as you...
I leased my bmw back in 07 (as an 08 model)...

in the 32k miles I have put on it so far, it has had 0 problems (other than squeaking brakes).. I might keep the car and get the extended warranty (or try to see if they can CPO my car since i will be "returning" and buying my "used" car....

In general, me and friends like to say BMW's are either a hit or miss when it comes to reliability within their models. I've had two friends who both bought 2002 Used M3. One of the M3's SMG broke (HUGGE repair bill) along with other problems and the other M3 hasn't had any major issues.

Its a gamble! But the extended warranty at least gives a piece of mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 06:49 AM   #8
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

If had the opportunity to do it again, I would have definitely waited before I bought this car. The HPFP is an issue that is a lot more prevalent than it really is, especially with the first generation models. I don't plan on keeping mine, either way. Later on down the line, however, I may try the N55 twin-scroll turbo.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #9
LKNGOOD
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i w/6sp manual.

I'll let everyone know in another 3 years. My 2007 335i has 42k on it right now and it's CPO until 6yrs/100,000 miles and I got the 6yrs/100,000 miles maintenance plan also (Was offering it free at time of purchase - promotion offer).

So i'm covered both ends until 2013 or 100,000K.

My last BMW 2003 330i was at 130K until I traded it in.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 09:07 AM   #10
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

I have an '07 335I, and have had no issues whatsoever. I didn't purchase any dealership rip off extended warranty, instead, I familiarized myself with my local shop, where I have had all my maintenance work done. My car runs perfect. I had the following done:

Trans fluid flush
rear differential fluid flush
brake fluid flush
coolant flush
power steering fluid flush
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #11
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
I have an '07 335I, and have had no issues whatsoever. I didn't purchase any dealership rip off extended warranty, instead, I familiarized myself with my local shop, where I have had all my maintenance work done. My car runs perfect. I had the following done:

Trans fluid flush
brake fluid flush
coolant flush
That's hellaflush.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #12
RaceFab
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Even if you have the warranty its a drag taking your car in to the shop, down time, 2nd thinking if something could go wrong on a trip.Im locked in on a purchase or else id probably trade in..I have an 07' out of warranty..replaced 2 water pumps,steering column,cas module,fuel injector,radiator.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 09:34 AM   #13
cisc0tek
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

I have owned my CPO 2007 for a year now. Here is what has been replaced...

Front right headlight assembly (auto-leveling projector stuck in up position)
Rear brakes replaced twice (10-15mph squealing)
Rear Tail Lamp assembly (twice) for throwing codes
Angel eye bulbs (both sides)
Various interior pieces for peeling plastic
Stitching on passenger seat came loose

I do ok but I couldnt imagine keeping this car out of warranty. Thats probably 10k worth of parts in labor in the first year of ownership. Im sorry but thats retarded for a car with under 35k miles. I love my 335 but I may go back to American.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 09:39 AM   #14
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

If power is not a real issue, I would advise against the 335. The 328 is a nimble, effective car, and less expensive. I would love to get an LCI 328 with BMW Performance parts on it.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #15
driverman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i 6MT - SOLD

The long term reliability of the N54 looks doesn't look so good if you extrapolate the short term reliability.

If you buy used, you don't know how the previous owner(s) treated the car. Many posters believe in the "drive it like you stole it" break-in philosophy.

My views on buying a 335i are:
- If you want a new car and plan on leasing, the 335i is a great choice, IF you don't mind dealing with a few trips to the dealer.
- If you buy used and plan on keeping the car < 100K miles, get it checked out and buy a good extended warranty that covers up to 100K.
- If you buy used and plan on keeping it > 100K miles, don't buy a 335i.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #16
Php
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: CaymanS, used to be e92 335

My 335i will be going out of warranty by the end of Nov this year. It has about 33,000 miles now and I plan to keep it for another 3 to 4 years. I was debating for a while if I should get the extended warranty or not, as HPFP is covered for 120k, and since I bought my car it has been problem free (even HPFP). But then after knowing about what could potentially go wrong, I think an extended warranty is still the way to go. And just last week after a trip to the BMW dealer I was more sure to get one....(not because my car had problems), but the follow:

I found out that BMW dealers now offer 3rd party extended warranties (Fedelity, etc, anyway Not CPO or ESP offered directly by BMW NA). I did a quote with one of the BMW finance advisors and basically for a platinum coverage up to an extra 3 yrs or 36k miles was only $2200. And what made it even better was that all I need was to put 15% down, and could finance the rest amount for 12 months, 0% interest. So ultimately it came to around $350 down, and roughly $150 dollars for 12 months. I thought it sounded pretty good. The platinum is an exclusionary warranty, covers ALMOST everything, even including electronics that are normally not covered in extended warranties (gold, gold plus). Still, it does not equal the original warranty, but for what I was concerned (engine, turbo, pumps, injectors, electronics, transmission, suspension, etc) it was all fully covered.

However the price that the advisor quoted me only applies for that day. She told me when I get it later (say in Nov 10 before my original warranty expires) the price will be more due to more mileage and year of the car. (I assume at most only $100 - 200 more) Also at that time the car will have to go through the BMW 120 point inspection and fix all that was needed before they can put the extended warranty on the car. So my plan was to purchase it probably 2 to 3 months before my original warranty goes out so I can avoid the inspection (just more hassle). Also she told me the price will increase a lot if I reach 40k miles by that time. There seems to be a price bump for every 10k miles....makes sense.

What I felt comfortable is that this extended warranty was offered directly through BMW dealers, and it is good at all BMW dealers nationwide. I've previously had other 3rd party warranties and had trouble due to BMW not taking them.

Comments?

Forgot to mention, deductable is $50 or $100 per visit.
It could also be cancelled at anytime and the remaining amount of money will be refunded back.
The extended warranty is also transferable to the new owner if I sell the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #17
kgb1637
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: RS5

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverman View Post
The long term reliability of the N54 looks doesn't look so good if you extrapolate the short term reliability.

If you buy used, you don't know how the previous owner(s) treated the car. Many posters believe in the "drive it like you stole it" break-in philosophy.

My views on buying a 335i are:
- If you want a new car and plan on leasing, the 335i is a great choice, IF you don't mind dealing with a few trips to the dealer.
- If you buy used and plan on keeping the car < 100K miles, get it checked out and buy a good extended warranty that covers up to 100K.
- If you buy used and plan on keeping it > 100K miles, don't buy a 335i.
Most CPO vehicles are lease turn ins which were driven hard, never broken in, oil changed every 15k miles, the bare minimum. I personally would never own this car out of warranty or any BMW for that matter, these cars do break and they're not cheap even at an independent shop.
      06-11-2010, 09:53 AM   #18
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91

The warranty provider can't sell the warranty for less than the projected average cost of warranty repairs on a 335i, plus administrative costs, plus a profit.

There is no free lunch.
E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #19
driverman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Php View Post
My 335i will be going out of warranty by the end of Nov this year. It has about 33,000 miles now and I plan to keep it for another 3 to 4 years. I was debating for a while if I should get the extended warranty or not, as HPFP is covered for 120k, and since I bought my car it has been problem free (even HPFP). But then after knowing about what could potentially go wrong, I think an extended warranty is still the way to go. And just last week after a trip to the BMW dealer I was more sure to get one....(not because my car had problems), but the follow:

I found out that BMW dealers now offer 3rd party extended warranties (Fedelity, etc, anyway Not CPO or ESP offered directly by BMW NA). I did a quote with one of the BMW finance advisors and basically for a platinum coverage up to an extra 3 yrs or 36k miles was only $2200. And what made it even better was that all I need was to put 15% down, and could finance the rest amount for 12 months, 0% interest. So ultimately it came to around $350 down, and roughly $150 dollars for 12 months. I thought it sounded pretty good. The platinum is an exclusionary warranty, covers ALMOST everything, even including electronics that are normally not covered in extended warranties (gold, gold plus). Still, it does not equal the original warranty, but for what I was concerned (engine, turbo, pumps, injectors, electronics, transmission, suspension, etc) it was all fully covered.

However the price that the advisor quoted me only applies for that day. She told me when I get it later (say in Nov 10 before my original warranty expires) the price will be more due to more mileage and year of the car. (I assume at most only $100 - 200 more) Also at that time the car will have to go through the BMW 120 point inspection and fix all that was needed before they can put the extended warranty on the car. So my plan was to purchase it probably 2 to 3 months before my original warranty goes out so I can avoid the inspection (just more hassle). Also she told me the price will increase a lot if I reach 40k miles by that time. There seems to be a price bump for every 10k miles....makes sense.

What I felt comfortable is that this extended warranty was offered directly through BMW dealers, and it is good at all BMW dealers nationwide. I've previously had other 3rd party warranties and had trouble due to BMW not taking them.

Comments?

Forgot to mention, deductable is $50 or $100 per visit.
It could also be cancelled at anytime and the remaining amount of money will be refunded back.
The extended warranty is also transferable to the new owner if I sell the car.
My experience with 3rd party warranties offered by dealers, ESPECIALLY when they give you "the price is only good for today" line, is that they are marked up very heavily and subject to large discounts if you negotiate.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #20
driverman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb1637 View Post
Most CPO vehicles are lease turn ins which were driven hard, never broken in, oil changed every 15k miles, the bare minimum. I personally would never own this car out of warranty or any BMW for that matter, these cars do break and they're not cheap even at an independent shop.
I like this post, even though I disagree with the statement that most CPO's have been driven hard.

Most BMW's are leased by "normal" people, not enthusiasts like us. They barely scratch the surface of exploring the potential of these fine cars. They never push them. They drive them like they would drive a Buick.

So it boils down to looking for tell-tale signs, getting it checked out and the "luck of the draw".

One of my brothers bought a used 2001 330i with 50K. He had to have a ring job, problems with VANOS and needed a new clutch. Fortunately, he bought an extended warranty. My other brother bought a new 2001 325i. The only problem he had was a cooling fan. I think how hard they are driven is a factor.

Last edited by driverman; 06-11-2010 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: fix type
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 10:21 AM   #21
Baldur Abendroth
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: the economy, SG e92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post

Trans fluid flush
brake fluid flush
coolant flush

^ Best advice on here for keeping an out of warranty BMW.
      06-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #22
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

It's a good idea. You should do it.