E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2011 bmw 328i AC smell

04-29-2023, 08:51 PM   #1
e90328isf
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i

2011 bmw 328i AC smell

There is a bad smell after I turn off the AC which has gotten worse. I am looking at this product on Amazon.

Has anyone used something like this?

What would be the best way to address this issue? Any videos/instructions will be appreciated.

Last edited by e90328isf; 04-29-2023 at 10:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 11:13 AM   #2
madderhorn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328xi Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90328isf View Post
There is a bad smell after I turn off the AC which has gotten worse. I am looking at this product on Amazon.

Has anyone used something like this?

What would be the best way to address this issue? Any videos/instructions will be appreciated.
If you haven't tried this already- buy a new cabin air filter to replace your old one before buying anything else. If your filter has not been replaced in a long while, there is a chance it can have a smell.

If it doesn't solve the issue then I think it could have something to do with something along the ac routes. (Rodents? Mold?)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 01:18 PM   #3
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

madderhorn Good call on replacing filter first if it’s old, but rank-ass evaporators are a pretty common problem with these cars (and I’m sure many others).

OP: I have no experience with that particular product, but I do know that it’s intended to address the problem you’re (likely) having.

I’m in same boat as you. Fine when AC running but smells like ass as soon as I turn the compressor off. Haven’t bothered to address it yet because from what I understand it’s a bit of a pain (relatively speaking) and doesn’t guarantee resolution of the smell, but AFAIK using a product like this is your best shot. I’ve read about folks using Pine Sol, but personally I’d rather something that doesn’t have such a potent smell of its own.

If you use it be sure to post back about how it goes!
      05-02-2023, 01:50 AM   #4
Bims328i
DIYer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i E90 SULEV

I've honestly never had problems with the AC. You keep it on recirculate which is MAX AC in most other cars because it recirculates the already cooled and conditioned air.

My 328i still has that new car smell so I keep it on recirculate for the most part. Recirculate is the best in that it does not continuously load the AC system with fresh unconditioned air from outside which usually has some moisture that your system will separate while conditioning the air so you get a constant buildup of condensation within the system which is why you should keep it on recirculate.

After some time all the moisture is removed from your cabin and it is less taxing on the system to cool the already cool and conditioned cabin air.
Appreciate 0