E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > E90 LCI CIC Business help

05-13-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
Deeps1987
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 E90 LCI 330D M-Sport

Garage List
E90 LCI CIC Business help

Hi guys
After recently crashing my 2003 E46 320D Sport Saloon (Facelift) (Oversteer on the roundabout, car spun a few times) I bought a 2009 E90 LCI 330D M-Sport Saloon which comes with the CIC Business I-Drive with satnav and bluetooth. It has no hard drive installed for media use. I think it has a hard drive for maps.
Which is all good and well, but I am slightly confused with the I-Drive.

GPS Issue
Also, everytime I start the car I get a message saying
"The navigation data on the USB device is younger. Start Update?" to which it prompts "Have activation code avail." and I click "yes"
after which another menu pops up saying
"USB device with navigation data not readable. Continue?" to which I click "Yes"
then when I scroll to the navigation menu, it all works with 3d maps and everything.
But when I try to find what version of maps I have installed, it comes up with a blank screen.

There is a USB stick in the glove box with 2013 maps from BMW. This is always in the USB port. As I understand it, this is only required for the update, but If I remove this, navigation does not work at all. So it seems it is reading off the USB all the time.

I have tried to download new maps, but the system refuses to start the update via USB with any maps but the ones on the USB which came with the car.

I went to the hidden I-Drive menu to figure out which version of maps I have, but it also came up with a blank screen.

Any ideas what is wrong? Took it to my local dealer and they had no idea what was wrong with it. Took it to an independent and he said the car wasn't even registering that I had a CIC installed. But it came from the factory fitted with theses options. Maybe the previous owner had messed with it?
I have a OBD cable I bought to try and code with, but I couldn't get it to work with the car (though that just might be me)

Any suggestions welcome. I am in SE London if anyone is local
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

not 100% sure... but I'm a bit confused

do you have the small screen business nav ? if so not sure which map it takes. In 2009 you could have the CIC style menus on non widescreen set up with the later controller... But what maps it runs no idea, earlier ones load via disc and needs the disc in each time to set journey, then you can take it out to play CDs and nav carry's on working

if you have the wide screen professional CIC set up I didn't think you can load maps via USB unless was made post March 2010 or maybe if car software is latest available

install via a disc instead?

what happens when u go here...
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/con...re_update.html
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTUS View Post

do you have the small screen business nav ? if so not sure which map it takes. In 2009 you could have the CIC style menus on non widescreen set up with the later controller... But what maps it runs no idea, earlier ones load via disc and needs the disc in each time to set journey, then you can take it out to play CDs and nav carry's on working

if you have the wide screen professional CIC set up I didn't think you can load maps via USB unless was made post March 2010 or maybe if car software is latest available

If it's a Business CIC, it's most like Europe MOTION on the HDD.

If you go into Navigation, then hit the Option button on the controller, you'll see the option for checking the installed version.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
Deeps1987
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

It is a late 2009 model. It has the idrive with loads of buttons and the screen isnt widescreen.

When I go to that BMW site and enter my VIN, this is the message I get
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
Deeps1987
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
If it's a Business CIC, it's most like Europe MOTION on the HDD.

If you go into Navigation, then hit the Option button on the controller, you'll see the option for checking the installed version.
The thing is, when I go to map version, it is just blank. Not sure what is going on
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #6
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep

so do you have the "software update" option in settings menu ?

there also a way to view the original factory options from the BMW site... its a pain to find

go to

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...catalogue.html

click on the middle of screen on the right to "visit the electronic parts catalogue"

login eu111111 and bmwetk1

in the window put in last 7 of chassis

then along the grey bar along the top of the page select options
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 06:02 AM   #7
Deeps1987
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
so do you have the "software update" option in settings menu ?

there also a way to view the original factory options from the BMW site... its a pain to find

go to

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...catalogue.html

click on the middle of screen on the right to "visit the electronic parts catalogue"

login eu111111 and bmwetk1

in the window put in last 7 of chassis

then along the grey bar along the top of the page select options

I can not find the Software Update option in the CIC menu

Here is the options for my car
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #8
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
The "software update" on BMW's website is for updating the Combox software if the vehicle is equipped. It's for updating compatibility with mobile devices and the vehicle primarily.

Nothing related to the Navigation system or the maps.

Have you downloaded the Europe MOTION 2014 maps to placed them on a USB stick? Also, are you using the USB port in the glovebox or the center console?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 03:36 AM   #9
Deeps1987
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The "software update" on BMW's website is for updating the Combox software if the vehicle is equipped. It's for updating compatibility with mobile devices and the vehicle primarily.

Have you downloaded the Europe MOTION 2014 maps to placed them on a USB stick? Also, are you using the USB port in the glovebox or the center console?
I am downloading them now and will try them once downloaded.
The USB stick is in the glove box and has to remain there otherwise navigation does not work. As I understand it, this should not be the case. The USB port should only be for updating the maps, and not required once the new maps have been loaded.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #10
Deeps1987
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

After trying to load the Europe Motion 2012 and 2013 maps with no luck, I didnt have much hope for 2014.
After downloading them, the instructions said to use a USB 2 stick (I was using USB 3 before) and to format to FAT32, I was using NTFS before.
Plug it into the car and it is asking for a FSC code, this is a major step forward, never got to this stage before.

Ill try and get a FSC code and see what happens, but thanks for all the help so far guys, we seem to be getting somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #11
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps1987 View Post
After trying to load the Europe Motion 2012 and 2013 maps with no luck, I didnt have much hope for 2014.
After downloading them, the instructions said to use a USB 2 stick (I was using USB 3 before) and to format to FAT32, I was using NTFS before.
Plug it into the car and it is asking for a FSC code, this is a major step forward, never got to this stage before.

Ill try and get a FSC code and see what happens, but thanks for all the help so far guys, we seem to be getting somewhere.
Excellent! The vehicle won't read NTFS because it's a Microsoft filesystem. FAT32 is the general standard for compatibility. (It sounds like you downloaded my posting of the 2014 maps with instructions).

If you need an FSC code, I can provide that for you, if needed. Just shoot me a PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 03:24 PM   #12
Deeps1987
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Excellent! The vehicle won't read NTFS because it's a Microsoft filesystem. FAT32 is the general standard for compatibility. (It sounds like you downloaded my posting of the 2014 maps with instructions).

If you need an FSC code, I can provide that for you, if needed. Just shoot me a PM.
Run into a problem. I put the usb in, it goes to update, I enter in the FSC code (Ebay for £20) it starts the update but stays at 0.0%, even after 30mins or longer

Any ideas? If the FSC code was wrong, would it still work or could that be causing it not to update?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 02:23 AM   #13
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep

my points were what toys did it have originally or has it had some retrofits done badly, which are causing the headaches

wonder if he got it sorted, I'd have got code here rather than ebay
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 05:09 AM   #14
Deeps1987
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
my points were what toys did it have originally or has it had some retrofits done badly, which are causing the headaches

wonder if he got it sorted, I'd have got code here rather than ebay
Nope, still not sorted. Not sure what to do next
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #15
alkim226
Registered
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI E90 318d

FSC code

Quote:

I have a 318d 2010, want to update my navigation And even I have download the navigation I need a FSC code. Could you please help me ? I have a business navigation system. Thank you!

Last edited by alkim226; 06-08-2018 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 10:23 PM   #16
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkim226 View Post
Quote:

I have a 318d 2010, want to update my navigation And even I have download the navigation I need a FSC code. Could you please help me ? I have a business navigation system. Thank you!
Shouldn't be a problem. Send me an email at dracon@gmail.com and I'll send you the details.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 02:53 PM   #17
Dave320d
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

Hi, I wanted to ask if anyone encountered the same problem as Deeps1987. I have the maps for 2020, they are Road Map Europe West MOTION 2020, I also have the FSC code and after entering the FSC code the update starts but stays at 0.0%, even after 30 minutes or longer. I saw that Deeps1987 had the same problem I can ask you how he solved it and what it was, because I have the same problem.
Thank you for your reply and help
Dave
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 04:35 PM   #18
Deeps1987
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave320d View Post
Hi, I wanted to ask if anyone encountered the same problem as Deeps1987. I have the maps for 2020, they are Road Map Europe West MOTION 2020, I also have the FSC code and after entering the FSC code the update starts but stays at 0.0%, even after 30 minutes or longer. I saw that Deeps1987 had the same problem I can ask you how he solved it and what it was, because I have the same problem.
Thank you for your reply and help
Dave
Hey Dave,

In the end I got fed up and brought a second hand Professional CIC (the wide screen version) retrofit it and got it coded and it a worked fine.
Generated a lifetime FSC code and have unlimited map updates now.

I would suggest finding a coder local to you just to make sure the unit is coded to your vehicle correctly as I have a suspicion that may have been my issue, failing that try downloading the latest maps (they fit on to one USB now) and try updating that with a FSC code.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 09:43 PM   #19
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

business cic nav requires that you drive car to finish map update process
simply start updating and begin drive car