E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Anyone try Race Chip?

06-09-2015, 01:02 PM   #45
Xtremektm
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman View Post
Second full day with Racechip.Settings are as follows: S1=2 and S2=6. Racechip is the best tuning box I have used. The car is fast as hell and very smooth. Power is generated in a Very linear fashion. Even though I agreed that a lot of the website claims were hype the Racechip Ultimate really delivers. It is much better than The JBD and DTUK and marginally better than the Chipexpress. If you check out the X5 boards my review is echoed by a lot of X5 diesel owners,
My show fuel pressure sensor code and reduce power when go over s1=1. The 335d have the maximun horsepower at 4200 rpm so is not good to go over 4 on S2.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2015, 05:13 PM   #46
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremektm View Post
My show fuel pressure sensor code and reduce power when go over s1=1. The 335d have the maximun horsepower at 4200 rpm so is not good to go over 4 on S2.
I just dialed mine back to S1=2 and S2=4. Performance is still fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 06:17 AM   #47
DWR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueisking View Post
JBD uses an 8 bit PIC18F2431 processor. Not sure of the actual clock frequency but the chip is apparently 40MHz capable.

FWIW, My 88 vette ECU uses an 8 bit 68HC11 processor running at 4MHz. That's controlling all the engine/transmission/OBD/emissions etc on an engine with rapidly changing inputs and outputs.

Although they may use it because they are inexpensive, manipulation of a single slow moving voltage definitely doesn't require a 32bit 48MHz processor. In my eyes, the BS marketing decreases their credibility.
This thought process may be incorrect. The pressure in the fuel rail is anything but slow moving. If the pressure sensor has sufficient dynamic range, it could read individual pulses from the fuel pump. In that case, the signal would look like a DC signal with a AC signal on top. Then the second adjustment for RPM makes more sense. iaknown and I have done some testing that shows some rpm dependent behavoir regarding limp mode and DDE compensation.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 09:46 AM   #48
kiel_dafo_kenyg_as
DIE ANTWOORD
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335d E92

Bump?
      07-05-2015, 11:11 AM   #49
torqueisking
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335D Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post
This thought process may be incorrect. The pressure in the fuel rail is anything but slow moving.
Have you looked at the pressure sensor signal on a scope?

Why do you think the JBD doesn't require an anti-aliasing filter before the ADC?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 08:19 AM   #50
Barmlot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Necropost. Anyone still running this thing? Chief can you hear me? How is it holding up, still "much better than the JBD"?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 10:53 AM   #51
DWR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueisking View Post
Have you looked at the pressure sensor signal on a scope?

Why do you think the JBD doesn't require an anti-aliasing filter before the ADC?
Sorry for the delayed response, just didn't see that post.
Here's your answer. See the "AC" signal on the DC? Filtering is on the DAC.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 12:48 AM   #52
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmlot

Necropost. Anyone still running this thing? Chief can you hear me? How is it holding up, still "much better than the JBD"?
Sorry to go radio silent. I ended up staying with Chipexpress. Every once in a while I will go back to Racechip which is a good product but I like the "feel" of the Chipexpress better for the power supplied. I was cranking up the Racechip Ultimate and with the water meth running I didn't like how high my EGTs were getting as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 11:52 PM   #53
stmilosh
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d xDrive M-sport

Quote:
Notice that you are talking about hundred's of ms period of those AC pulses and these are not injection pulses since these are on completely different time and amplitude scale (10b ADCs used in chip boxes as well as most of scopes can't really separate it from noise).
Injection pulses are typically of couple (1-4) of ms of duration.
Even if you are sampling with 1ms rate (1kHz) frequency (which is nothing even for the slowest chips - they can sample with a MHz frequency), you still have time for like thousand instructions for processing of a signal.
Usually these chips have multiple maps (I've read somewhere that RaceChip has 1k maps each of them containing 32 points taking 32kB Flash memory for it) and these maps are used almost certainly statically with only dynamics being the gradient of the signal, i.e. there is no complex signal-processing as PID controller emulation or similar. So chip is doing only couple of things:
1) sampling and ADC conversion
2) detection of the mode: comparing the value with the thresholds and calculating gradient of the signal using couple of points
3) based on the mode look-up table to extract newly applied value of the signal from the map
4) numerical interpolation between two values from the table
5) eventually applying some offset and correction factor to it (simple if and add/sub operations)
This all can be easily done in 1-10us, so again no problem for any mcu.
So to conclude, all this talk about new faster processors and quicker map updates in real time is just marketing BS.
P.S. For example Racechip One and Racechip Pro 2 are 100% identical PCB's with all the same components, the only difference been that Racechip Pro 2 has exactly same type (ST8M) of 24MHz mcu instead of 16 MHz mcu that Racechip One has (not 8MHz as they say in their advertisements). Racechip Ultimate has faster ARM Cortex M3, but uses exactly the same maps (32kB) so no difference there at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 06:11 AM   #54
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmilosh
Quote:
Notice that you are talking about hundred's of ms period of those AC pulses and these are not injection pulses since these are on completely different time and amplitude scale (10b ADCs used in chip boxes as well as most of scopes can't really separate it from noise).
Injection pulses are typically of couple (1-4) of ms of duration.
Even if you are sampling with 1ms rate (1kHz) frequency (which is nothing even for the slowest chips - they can sample with a MHz frequency), you still have time for like thousand instructions for processing of a signal.
Usually these chips have multiple maps (I've read somewhere that RaceChip has 1k maps each of them containing 32 points taking 32kB Flash memory for it) and these maps are used almost certainly statically with only dynamics being the gradient of the signal, i.e. there is no complex signal-processing as PID controller emulation or similar. So chip is doing only couple of things:
1) sampling and ADC conversion
2) detection of the mode: comparing the value with the thresholds and calculating gradient of the signal using couple of points
3) based on the mode look-up table to extract newly applied value of the signal from the map
4) numerical interpolation between two values from the table
5) eventually applying some offset and correction factor to it (simple if and add/sub operations)
This all can be easily done in 1-10us, so again no problem for any mcu.
So to conclude, all this talk about new faster processors and quicker map updates in real time is just marketing BS.
P.S. For example Racechip One and Racechip Pro 2 are 100% identical PCB's with all the same components, the only difference been that Racechip Pro 2 has exactly same type (ST8M) of 24MHz mcu instead of 16 MHz mcu that Racechip One has (not 8MHz as they say in their advertisements). Racechip Ultimate has faster ARM Cortex M3, but uses exactly the same maps (32kB) so no difference there at all.
This all rings true for me. I spend a lot of money on the race chip and don't think it is any better than the Chip Express
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 05:58 PM   #55
stmilosh
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d xDrive M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmilosh View Post
Moreover, what I discovered is that none of the used chips (exact ones used are: STM8S105K6 for Racechip One, STM8S207K6 for Racechip Pro 2 and
STM32F102C6 for Racechip Ultimate) has DAC and in all of them the generation of analog signal is done in the same way - 16b timer PWM output fed through low-pass filter. Due to the need to minimize the ripple from PWM, this is limited by the time constant of the low-pass filter which is couple of ms. Therefore, actual speed of ADC and calculation/look-up in the chip has no impact at all. They could have employed the chip with internal DAC or external fast DAC (these components cost 1-2$ only), but they've opted out for the slowest solution.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 07:55 PM   #56
rlmccarty2000
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d, 2011 BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I hate to revive a thread this old, but I am looking at the Racechip site and they still have three different boxes with new names and you can control them with an app. Has anyone tried the “new” version of Racechip?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 10:04 AM   #57
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
I hate to revive a thread this old, but I am looking at the Racechip site and they still have three different boxes with new names and you can control them with an app. Has anyone tried the “new” version of Racechip?
Get a real tune. AArodriguez is a short roadtrip away in GA and can even remote tune. I am just not a fan of the piggyback "tuners". If you prefer piggyback, just get a JBD tuner used for $150 and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 04:06 PM   #58
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
Get a real tune. AArodriguez is a short roadtrip away in GA and can even remote tune. I am just not a fan of the piggyback "tuners". If you prefer piggyback, just get a JBD tuner used for $150 and call it a day.
totally agree
Appreciate 1
dmanb2b2121.50