E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > BMW Dealer Reviews + Ratings Forum > Elmhurst BMW Broke My Windshield!

03-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
Lost Rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: R NineT, X1

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
Thumbs down Elmhurst BMW Broke My Windshield!

Today while in a snow storm my drivers side windshield wiper broke off the arm. Slightly annoying, but things happen...
After trying unsuccessfully to put in back together - in a stow storm- I took the passenger's side wiper off and installed it on the left side so I could get to a dealer. When I did this it left the right side's wiper arm bare metal exposed, so I took a roll of electrical tape and wrapped it up real good to protect the windshield.
I went to Elmhurst BMW, the nearest dealer. Upon arriving I explained my situation, and what I had done. I clearly pointed out the tape on the wiper arm, and explained how they were swapped. My windshield was not cracked. Period. The SA went to "check" on a few things after asking me if I had ever been there before, no I hadn't thank you. So you didn't buy it from us? No. I went and waked around the showroom, thinking of how nice a place this was. After I wandered back to the service dept. He then told me to have a seat, it would be about 30 minutes. I asked if I could just have a new blade and do it myself, so I could be on my way. No, a warranty claim has to be installed by us. OK, fine. So I have a seat in the waiting room and pick up a magazine. About 8 minute later the SA comes in and says" do you know you have a dent on your front left corner panel, and a scratch on the wheel? Yes I am aware of it, and my car is scheduled to go in for repairs on Monday, thank you. He then also pointed out another scratch on another wheel. Yes I know, thanks.
About 10 minutes after that the SA comes back again, and asked me to follow him, he had a few question, and wanted to show me how the drivers side wiper arm was a little bent (on the tab that the plastic cover goes on). He also asked if I knew where the plastic cover that holds the blade in place was. I pulled it out of my pocket, I had forgotten I had it... As we walk up to the car, he pointed out the slightly bent tab ( that I might have done while changing the blade, trying to get that same cover off)

I immediately noticed the windshield now had a spider web like bunch of cracks, centered on where the now bare metal wiper arm was touching the windshield! The technician had removed the tape, but not installed the new blade, and my windshield is now cracked!
I pointed this out to the SA, telling him this was not like this before. "well, it must have been because we didn't do it" is what he said.

I then asked for the manager, so the SA left for a few minutes, returning without the manager to tell me it must have been like this before, and they were already doing me a favor by replacing the wiper, because the arm in question was bent. Seeing exactly where this was going I told him to stop working on my car and get it out of here, I wanted to leave.

So you mean to tell me with me putting my finger directly onto the taped up right side wiper arm, both of us looking right at the spot where the windshield is now broken, and then in his thorough inspection that he noticed scratches on wheels, he never noticed many cracks on a windshield? But now that it's there, it must have been like that. NO WAY.

He said he had to pull the car around, fine. I went to the service managers office, and waiting until he got off the phone. While waiting thSA came up to me and asked me to sign this paer, just saying your car was worked on here, he said. At the bottom, next to signature line, it had something about them not being liable for damage to the car while it was here. I refused to sign it...
He came out with an bad attitude all over his face. I calmly explained what had just happened, all the while he had a glaze over his eye's, not really paying attention, or acting interested in what I had to say. He said it was like that before, then said," maybe a rock did it on the way here". Yeah, sure I thought.
I asked him if he wanted to go out and look at the car, "no I already did", he said. How could he? No one had "noticed" the cracked windshield until I pointed it out, and right from there I was with the car until it was pulled outside. He was obviously lying right to my face. He said he knows that they didn't do it. I asked how he could possible know that, since he was in his office, not working on my car. Because my techs don't lie, he said. BS
No one had even talked to the tech, the guy who had been working on my car was standing behind me while I talked with the SA, no one even asked him anything. This all went down in a matter of minutes.
He implied I did it myself and that I was now trying to blame them. I if did do it myself I would just turn in into my insurance and let them fix it, I have zero deductible for windshield damage....
Since I was getting nowhere, and just getting madder because I was completely being screwed around, I told him I should have taken it to Perrillo BMW in the first place and that I would take this up with BMW NA.

I'm posting this here to document it while it's fresh in my mind, and get some insight as how to proceed with this.
Besides the obvious things I'd like to do to all parties involved, anyone else had something like this happen? What was the outcome?

Last edited by Lost Rider; 03-21-2008 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

Man I feel your pain, the Service Managers dont give a crap about anything, You should call bmw n.a. and file a complaint. this will take a while but will give you results after several phone calls. be specific and say how badly the manager treated you. make sure to give his name. I am tired of the BMW workers treating their customers like shit. Every time I go into service they treat me like if they were doing me a huge favor of fixing my car. Make sure they pay for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      03-21-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
e92drivver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Try to remember everyones name you can so you can provide specific details about who said & did what to BMW NA. If you have a copy of the unsigned paperwork it should have at least one name on it.

Probably more negative can come from such a well documented post from a respected member on a BMW message board than what BMW NA may do. This post will be around for all to search & find for years to come. Hopefully that makes you feel a little better about the horrible treatment you just received at Elmhurst BMW, part of the Elmhurst Auto Group, on 466 West Lake Street, Elmhurst, Illinois 60126. Be warned people, if you didn't buy your car there you may receive this low level of service.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 11:27 PM   #4
mcoupe60266
?
Rep
Drives: BMWs

If your insurance will pay for it at no cost to you why not just have it fixed and move on with life?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 12:15 AM   #5
xquisit
«-·¨¯¯¨·-»
Rep
Drives: 328i / R32 / 1.8T

Because... don't you understand? This is time to start a rebelution!

I feel your pain man, really sorry to hear you were mistreated.
      03-22-2008, 12:20 AM   #6
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Urgh, buddy and I were just there this week to look at a new 07 335i in the showroom. (you prob saw it, black on terra)

The sales guy was just TERRIBLE and a total prick. I was just shocked by their sales tactics. No wonder their dealership had no one there.

Needless to say we left and went to Patrick BMW and bought a 08 335i with no hassles. Btw, I go to Patrick BMW for service as well and they are excellent. Worth the drive there.
      03-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #7
RyanDe680
Investor Relations
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Bimmer View Post
Urgh, buddy and I were just there this week to look at a new 07 335i in the showroom. (you prob saw it, black on terra)

The sales guy was just TERRIBLE and a total prick. I was just shocked by their sales tactics. No wonder their dealership had no one there.

Needless to say we left and went to Patrick BMW and bought a 08 335i with no hassles. Btw, I go to Patrick BMW for service as well and they are excellent. Worth the drive there.
We had "Eugene," who was the biggest bastard I have seen.

The one thing that I hate the most is when dealers "give you more for your trade in" just as you have 1 foot out the door.

They wouldn't deal on a 2007 335i that was on their showroom floor wiht 15 miles and a manufacture date of 3/2007!!!!

I would avoid Elmhurst BMW at all costs, period.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 02:57 PM   #8
e90driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 325i, 08 328xi

Get it replaced under insurance, but by all means, spead the word. Better luck to you buddy.

06 325i. IT'S HERE!- 08 E92 328xi, Premium, Auto, Cold- Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 07:32 PM   #9
Lost Rider
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
Thanks guys. Good to hear that I'm not alone with this POS dealer.
Yes I could and more than likely will turn it in to my insurance, but this is a matter of principle really. I shouldn't have to. The Service manager should have at least acted like he wanted to look into it, and see what happened. There's a lot of things he could have done to diffuse the situation, even without having to pay for a new windshield. Shit happens, I understand.
You would think he would try and treat me like a customer, even forget that it's BMW and you should expect excellent CS. He treated me like I was some punk trying to get over on them for a cracked windshield, while insulting the whole way. Any business shouldn't treat their customers like that, especially one that prides its self with above normal customer service. I am spreading the word, and will pursue this until I'm satisfied. I really have better things to do, but now that I'm presented with this situation I have no choice the way I see it. I will start by bumping this thread on a regular basis to keep it seen.....

And to think I was considering trading in my E91 for the 135i they had there on the floor.....
      03-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #10
RyanDe680
Investor Relations
United_States
Rep

I'd also consider sending BMW NA a letter or a phone call.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 08:51 PM   #11
Lost Rider
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDe680 View Post
I'd also consider sending BMW NA a letter or a phone call.
I will, first thing monday morning.
      03-22-2008, 08:58 PM   #12
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Word travels fast. They will now lose more than what a windshield costs for sure. Bastards!
      03-22-2008, 09:33 PM   #13
baggerben
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: volvo s70 t5,for now.335i soon

total bs. shit happens but to blame you is f-in crazy. it might not be worth it but after calling bmw ask to speak with the owner. good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 09:54 PM   #14
Lost Rider
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palella@Industry View Post
Word travels fast. They will now lose more than what a windshield costs for sure. Bastards!
I can get some satisfaction from that thought.

I hope BMW NA will do something to the Manager, and SA.
I also hope they take into consideration that I have bought 3 new BMW's in the last 2 years alone, along with being a devout BMW enthusiast, active in many BMW clubs, and forums. To think that I broke it and was trying to blame it on them is preposterous.
With the current economic situation, and then treatment like this is why I'm considering trading in my car for a different brand. Part of the included cost's of purchasing a new BMW is knowing the kind of treatment to expect from ANY dealer. I don't care if anyone kisses my ass, I'm not an unreasonable guy who whines about petty things.
Owning a BMW is about driving/riding such a fine machine, and the whole "BMW" experience, including 5 star treatment from the dealer network.
If I can't get the whole package, and BMW NA doesn't care how their dealers treat their customers why should I pay the premium price? Believe it or not, there are other cars out there that drive real nice too...

I've had a few less than excellent experiences at BMW Motorrad dealer's in my travels all over the U.S., but recently there has been quite a few Motorrad dealers closing up, or at least losing their BMW dealership. BMW NA is trimming the fat, and cracking down on dealer's to be up to BMW standards....

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggerben View Post
total bs. shit happens but to blame you is f-in crazy. it might not be worth it but after calling bmw ask to speak with the owner. good luck.

I plan on emailing a letter and a link this thread to the CEO of Elmhurst Auto Group, along with anyone else in the upper management I can get in touch with...
      03-22-2008, 10:01 PM   #15
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Most likely BMW will say that the dealership's service center are individually owned and they can't do anything about it and would refer you back to the dealership. I had that run around when I had an MBZ......
      03-23-2008, 10:57 AM   #16
bily
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 G05, 22 G26

Garage List
2022 i4  [0.00]
2022 BMW X5  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428 Cabriolet  [0.00]
Wasting Time w/ BMW NA

Find out who owns the dealership and attempt to contact them. When I ran into a problem with my local dealership, the calls to the corporation that owned them, the consistent calls, and offers to come up there, got me what I needed.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 12:59 PM   #17
jmsent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW GTI

Wow. Tough story. I live in the Chicago area and know what a lousy day Friday was, especially up in the Northern Suburbs where we got a foot of snow.
But just to show that not all dealers are like this, I took my car into Knauz on Wednesday to have a wheel repaired. (Just light rash caused by my inattention at the bank drive through). While discussing things I told him about a very small ripple on the rear quarter panel that had been there since the car was new. It's very subtle but I thought I'd bring it up. My SA said he would have the body shop look at it. That afternoon he called me back and said that it looked to them like a paint defect. He offered to repaint the panel, no charge. I of course said no, I'll just live with it. But the fact that after over 1-1/2 yrs of owning this car without ever mentioning this until now, they still offered to take responsibility and fix it no questions asked, was very impressive to me. Too bad you weren't up in my neck of the woods when this happened to you.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 02:10 PM   #18
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

mine got broken by the shipping company
i feel your pain
      04-01-2008, 11:53 AM   #19
toolfan
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDe680 View Post
We had "Eugene," who was the biggest bastard I have seen.

The one thing that I hate the most is when dealers "give you more for your trade in" just as you have 1 foot out the door.

They wouldn't deal on a 2007 335i that was on their showroom floor wiht 15 miles and a manufacture date of 3/2007!!!!

I would avoid Elmhurst BMW at all costs, period.
what was the MSRP and what was the selling price? Then you said you considered getting the 135i on the floor, which is it?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #20
RyanDe680
Investor Relations
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan View Post
what was the MSRP and what was the selling price? Then you said you considered getting the 135i on the floor, which is it?
MSRP without the m-tech kit was about 49,750, invoice was 46 something and they wouldn't even go under invoice, given that the car was on their floor for 10 months and that it was a 2007!!!

Beyond that it had a good amount of swirls/scratches as well...

I wasn't looking for a 135i, someone else in the thread mentioned it...
      04-01-2008, 12:31 PM   #21
Xiaofeng
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007.5 E90 335xi Montego/Lemon

Garage List
2007 E90 335xi  [0.00]
1991 325iX  [0.00]
OP, did you ever get around to talking to BMW NA or the Elmhurst Auto Group? I'm interested in how this situation will play out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckdm View Post
maybe they just thought you were gay for driving a wagon??
WTF? First post, and this guy is already asking for a ban.... For your sake, I hope you're being sarcastic.

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #22
Spacegray335i
BimmerPost Supporting Buyer
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Me Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckdm View Post
maybe they just thought you were gay for driving a wagon??

That's quite an effort for you to just join this forum and leave a constructive comment. Sounds like you are one of the pricks at Elmhurst BMW :finger: