E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Track suspension recommendations

01-05-2018, 03:26 PM   #1
SF335
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i M-Sport

Track suspension recommendations

I am new to the e92 and would like to ask for some advice on suspension setup for a car that will see a lot of track time but should still be tolerable on the street as an occasional daily driver.

I am open to all suggestions on suspension but I would like to start with selecting a spring/shock combo or coilovers. I'd prefer not to spend more than $1.5k on this part and so am currently looking at options like the ST XTAs. I am fine without adjustable height as long as it sits a little below stock (currently M-Sport package). Generally, if I could spare the hassle and expense of coilovers, I would prefer that but I also don't want a setup that's too soft for the track.

I posted this on the suspension forum but didn't get as much feedback from the track crowd as I hoped.

Many thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 08:58 PM   #2
ajsmithvmi
Professional Hack
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Try to find a set of used KW V2's or V3's depending on how much mileage is on them. Used V2's will give you adjustable ride height and adjustable rebound.

The M3 front control arms will give you more negative camber in front, in which the stock e82/e90's are sorely lacking.

Also consider upgrading your rear subframe bushings to the more robust M3 versions.

Have you thought about changing out your tires to a track-oriented yet still road-worthy tire? (Are you still on run flats?)
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 09:22 PM   #3
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

avoid KW. IMHO they are a go to options only because all the marketing they do and people don't know better. they are overpriced and the valving is all wrong. for the money, there are much better options.

if you dont need height adjustable features, I would recommend just getting a set of Bilstein HD or BMW Performance shock paired with BMW performance springs.
Appreciate 1
Taskmaster2463.00
      01-05-2018, 11:58 PM   #4
SF335
Private
Rep

Thanks for the replies. I feel I am in the right place.

The runflats are gone and I'm on potenza re71r's, which are possibly the best tires I've ever had. M3 control arms and solid subframe bushings are in the plans, as well as an LSD once the budget allows.

Are there others who feel that KWs/STs are overhyped? I would certainly be glad to go with a shock/spring combo like Cloud9blue suggested if it saves me a buck and allows for track-worthy handling.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 07:49 AM   #5
ajsmithvmi
Professional Hack
United_States
Rep

Everyone has differing experiences with and opinions on brands so I'll leave it up to you to decide; I feel KW, Bilstein, Ohlins, TC Kline and Ground Control are good options to look into.

But getting a set of non-adjustable shocks left me quickly wishing I had spent the extra money or waited for a decent used set with height/rebound adjustment.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2018, 01:42 PM   #6
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmithvmi View Post
Everyone has differing experiences with and opinions on brands so I'll leave it up to you to decide; I feel KW, Bilstein, Ohlins, TC Kline and Ground Control are good options to look into.

But getting a set of non-adjustable shocks left me quickly wishing I had spent the extra money or waited for a decent used set with height/rebound adjustment.
I haven't touched the rebound and compression setting on my double adjustable TCK for almost two years... i just leave them in the track setting. If I were to do this again, I probably spend the money on a single adjustable MCS or JRZ instead. Amateurs like us won't benefit much from the adjustability IMHO.

I also had BMW PS for over a year. They were great for the money IMO. They just rid a bit harsh (too much high speed damping???) in first 100 miles or so for whatever reason.

I would recommend against the Ohlins Road and Track kit (not the real Ohlins kits with TTX shocks) for our cars. Their spring rates are all wrong for these cars. Plus their shock rusts if you DD them... Get a kit with stainless steel shock body instead if you gonna drop the money on a nice set of coilovers. You don't want you spring collar seized against the shock body.
Appreciate 2
      01-07-2018, 04:46 PM   #7
ajsmithvmi
Professional Hack
United_States
Rep

Interesting, yeah I've heard really good things about MCS and JRZ, most people love TC Kline. The main reason people have reservations about the Ohlins is from what I've heard, they are a fat strut and cause wide tire clearance issues.

I went with KW because I found a good deal on a used set of V3's, but I have no real allegiance to any manufacturer.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #8
SF335
Private
Rep

The inputs have been great and I am continuing the research. I may be able to get a good deal on some single adjustable TC Klines, which were initially a bit more than I wanted to spend.

What spring rates would be recommended for a track/street setup? I'm currently thinking 400#/700#.

Thank you.

Last edited by SF335; 01-08-2018 at 05:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 05:31 PM   #9
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

I'm on BMW PS springs with Koni yellow adjustable. I would suggest you to spend the money else where. Like cooling, brakes....Maintenace is also big factor. Vehicle must be capable of sustaining track abuse. Suspension will not offer you much. Very little actually unless you are pro race car driver.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 06:12 PM   #10
SF335
Private
Rep

That may be a good point. Do you know the spring rates on the BMW PS springs? Does it pair well with the Konis? How does it perform on the track?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 08:57 PM   #11
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Here is info on spring rates: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235797 They pair well with Koni. I also have CG camber plates. They help the most, with tires of course.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 12:46 PM   #12
SF335
Private
Rep

It looks like these are about 200#/500#, which is just a little stiffer than stock on the e92. Does anyone know if these shocks would work well with a stiffer spring?

Also, does anyone know of any springs out there that give a slightly bigger drop for the M-Sport and have rates closer to 350#/600#
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 01:04 PM   #13
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Here is info on spring rates: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235797 They pair well with Koni. I also have CG camber plates. They help the most, with tires of course.
+1000!

Start with the stuff that matters the most: tires, brakes, brake cooling, alignment.

Then run a few events and then get comfortable with the car.

Then go to the next phase.
      01-25-2018, 05:38 PM   #14
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF335 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I feel I am in the right place.

The runflats are gone and I'm on potenza re71r's, which are possibly the best tires I've ever had. M3 control arms and solid subframe bushings are in the plans, as well as an LSD once the budget allows.

Are there others who feel that KWs/STs are overhyped? I would certainly be glad to go with a shock/spring combo like Cloud9blue suggested if it saves me a buck and allows for track-worthy handling.
I'd go used Bilstein PSS10 over any KW setup. They're monotubes, bulletproof and cheap to rebuild.

Or used Ohlins?
      01-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #15
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
I'd go used Bilstein PSS10 over any KW setup. They're monotubes, bulletproof and cheap to rebuild.

Or used Ohlins?
Those Ohlins Road and Track coilovers for e9x platform aren't all that great.
I would just stick with Bilstein PSS10.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 03:48 PM   #16
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Quote:

Or used Ohlins?
Those Ohlins Road and Track coilovers for e9x platform aren't all that great.
I would just stick with Bilstein PSS10.
Yeah I've heard the integrated rebound/compression adjustment creates issues although I've heard they're great on the street.

I may be bailing on the 135 racecar (later in 2018) and building an E46 M3. Anyone have experience with the higher end Fortune Auto coilovers?
      01-26-2018, 04:31 PM   #17
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I've heard the integrated rebound/compression adjustment creates issues although I've heard they're great on the street.

I may be bailing on the 135 racecar (later in 2018) and building an E46 M3. Anyone have experience with the higher end Fortune Auto coilovers?
Get the real Ohlins TTX instead
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 04:48 PM   #18
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Get the real Ohlins TTX instead
Already have MCS on the 135 but in the meantime I want the e46 to be setup decently so my dad can drive with me (he was into cars as a kid but couldn't afford them as an adult so part of the reason I got that car is so he can race with me) I'll promptly be taking it back and letting him drive the 135 once the e46 is ready for pure track duty lol.. at that point I'll likely go with MCS SA again later in 2018.

The TTXs look frickin amazing, don't think my ability levels quite match up though haha
      03-07-2018, 06:32 PM   #19
LYEGUY
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Titanium Silver E92 335

Why is everyone hating on the Ohlins Road and Track. I had them for two years on my E46 M3 and they where amazing and I just ordered a set for my E92. I do agree that the spring rates from the factory are less than ideal, especially for and kind of track use but once upgraded with Swift springs I would venture to say they are some of the best if not the best Coilovers at there price point.

As far as rusting goes, I live in Rhode Island where they go absolutely nuts with salt in the winter and I DD'd my car every winter and never had any problems.

I would highly recommend Ohlins R&T's with Swift springs if you're looking for a set of Coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 09:33 AM   #20
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYEGUY View Post
Why is everyone hating on the Ohlins Road and Track. I had them for two years on my E46 M3 and they where amazing and I just ordered a set for my E92. I do agree that the spring rates from the factory are less than ideal, especially for and kind of track use but once upgraded with Swift springs I would venture to say they are some of the best if not the best Coilovers at there price point.

As far as rusting goes, I live in Rhode Island where they go absolutely nuts with salt in the winter and I DD'd my car every winter and never had any problems.

I would highly recommend Ohlins R&T's with Swift springs if you're looking for a set of Coilovers.
because there are so many better options in that price range.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 09:43 AM   #21
LYEGUY
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Titanium Silver E92 335

Quote:
Quote:

because there are so many better options in that price range.
I'm curious as to what those are. For $2500 to $3000 what is a better option than the Ohlins R&T with Swift springs that will be liveable on the street and can perform well on track. The Ohlins R&T's are a very high level damper and with proper spring rates will out perform dampers almost double its cost

MCS Singles are over $3000 when you include springs and the other stuff needed to actually install them. Not to mention the would not hold up to DD duty as they are made of aluminum and will rust

The AST 5100's are not on the same level as the Ohlins and the 5200's are far more expensive

JRZ RS Sports are over $3000 when you throw in the springs and height adjusters and are again made of aluminum

TC Kline Singles are not on the same level as the Ohlins. The Doubles are but they are also a lot more expensive

The Only Dampers KW makes that can compete with the Ohlins are the V3 and in track they are equals for sure but on the street the 2-way V3's are not as good as the Ohlins, you would have to step up to the 3-ways which not only more expensive than the Ohlins but are also far more complex
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 02:08 AM   #22
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
I'm curious as to what those are. For $2500 to $3000 what is a better option than the Ohlins R&T with Swift springs that will be liveable on the street and can perform well on track. The Ohlins R&T's are a very high level damper and with proper spring rates will out perform dampers almost double its cost

MCS Singles are over $3000 when you include springs and the other stuff needed to actually install them. Not to mention the would not hold up to DD duty as they are made of aluminum and will rust

The AST 5100's are not on the same level as the Ohlins and the 5200's are far more expensive

JRZ RS Sports are over $3000 when you throw in the springs and height adjusters and are again made of aluminum

TC Kline Singles are not on the same level as the Ohlins. The Doubles are but they are also a lot more expensive

The Only Dampers KW makes that can compete with the Ohlins are the V3 and in track they are equals for sure but on the street the 2-way V3's are not as good as the Ohlins, you would have to step up to the 3-ways which not only more expensive than the Ohlins but are also far more complex
Based on what?
Appreciate 0