E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Best solution for mobile phone integration?

11-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
themaster
Rep
Drives: E92 on the way

Best solution for mobile phone integration?

I apologise if there was a similar discussion, but I could not find it. I am looking for the best solution (i.e. the best cost/benefit ratio) for using a phone in an E92 I am just building so I'd appreciate your help. The phone is iPhone 4.

So far I have found two OEM options in the catalogue:

option 640 - I have no idea what is it, seems like pre-wiring the BT system. It's over 400 eur. I suspect it requires considerable additional equipment which exceeds additional hundreds of euros.

option 644 - BT system, 1200 eur. The complete system?

If I got it right, the total cost of an OEM integration is over a thousand €, which I find crazy and not worth. Do you have other suggestions apart a 'classic' BT headset?

By the way, where do you keep your phone in your E9x? Models with iDrive have the wheel replacing the nice compartment for storing the phone..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Who knows with the new combox hub. With the pre-september builds you could add a bluetooth mic to your ulf-high(if you ordered usb 6fl) and recode and voila...bt.

Id say any cheap option that gets you the combox (6vc) will allow you to retrofit cheaply from there. But there are many more knowledgable than i on here
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Remember those options need to be coded as well....more money. Are you looking for OEM integration?

Or are you interested in aftermarket too?
Pro: More features/no coding
Con: Non-OEM look/possibly no steering wheel integration
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #4
themaster
Rep

I am looking for the OEM integration, but I don't understand the difference between these two options (640 and 644) so if someone would explain....

However, I am not willing to fork over €1k for BT in the car, which should be standard in a €50k car. I'd then rather go with a BT headset (then I only have to figure out what's the best place to keep the phone so it charges and at the same time its display is visible without too much distraction).
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
themaster
Rep

Guys, before I decide to go for the OEM solution (option 644) I would appreciate a few clarifications. It's quite expensive over here so it requires careful examination and benefit analysis. I have an iPhone 4 so I base my questions on that.

1) when I enter the car and turn it on, does the iDrive automatically connect to the phone without any intervention from my side? i.e. does my phone stay the whole time in my pocket, and do i have to do anything on iDrive?

Since my rides are usually short, I won't be happy with too many actions (take the phone out from my pocket, connect it to BT, put the phone somewhere where it does not slip, and in the end when i park - put the phone back to my pocket, and so on)

2) can i read text messages on the screen?

3) when i have someone else in the car how hard is to transfer the call to my headset (phone) rather than having the conversation on the speaker?

4) is the contacts sync manual or it detects changes on a daily basis? i.e. when in my office i type in a new contact, and then go to the car, does it sync immediately or periodically (for example on a weekly basis)?

5) if i have a long conversation on the speaker in the car, and park and wish to continue the call on the headset outside the car, is the transition to the headset automatic when I either shut down the engine or step out of the car?

6) is it cumbersome to dial without voice dial?

Sorry for the amount of questions, but i would appreciate also short answers. I tried to search the forum and youtube but i can't find much
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster View Post
Guys, before I decide to go for the OEM solution (option 644) I would appreciate a few clarifications. It's quite expensive over here so it requires careful examination and benefit analysis. I have an iPhone 4 so I base my questions on that.

1) when I enter the car and turn it on, does the iDrive automatically connect to the phone without any intervention from my side? i.e. does my phone stay the whole time in my pocket, and do i have to do anything on iDrive?

Since my rides are usually short, I won't be happy with too many actions (take the phone out from my pocket, connect it to BT, put the phone somewhere where it does not slip, and in the end when i park - put the phone back to my pocket, and so on)

Once it is paired, it connects automatically. You can look into a bluetooth streaming device aswell if you want complete wireless integration. I use the BlackBerry Stereo Gateway. You do have to control the music from the phone though but it connects automatically aswell. Also it transfers calls to your car and pauses music. Then plays it when the call is done.

2) can i read text messages on the screen?

Not yet.

3) when i have someone else in the car how hard is to transfer the call to my headset (phone) rather than having the conversation on the speaker?

Depends on the phone. On my iPhone it's 2 clicks....if it's unlocked. You go to audio sources (IIRC) then select either BMW, Phone, or Speaker.

4) is the contacts sync manual or it detects changes on a daily basis? i.e. when in my office i type in a new contact, and then go to the car, does it sync immediately or periodically (for example on a weekly basis)?

Everytime your phone is connected to your car, the phonebook is downloaded. I guess you can say it is streamed to your car. Nothing is ever stored on the iDrive.

5) if i have a long conversation on the speaker in the car, and park and wish to continue the call on the headset outside the car, is the transition to the headset automatic when I either shut down the engine or step out of the car?

No the car keeps the call. Again go to audio sources and switch it to Phone.

6) is it cumbersome to dial without voice dial?

I never dial from the iDrive screen. I usually only use contacts. And if I need a number, I usually am looking it up on the internet and can click the number to call. However putting in a number is just like putting in an address. I wouldn't think it would be difficult.

Sorry for the amount of questions, but i would appreciate also short answers. I tried to search the forum and youtube but i can't find much
(The forum is telling me this message is too short. Why? I had to type these few sentences to get it to post....This post is like an essay.)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #7
themaster
Rep

Thanks.. my answers are below

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Once it is paired, it connects automatically. You can look into a bluetooth streaming device aswell if you want complete wireless integration. I use the BlackBerry Stereo Gateway. You do have to control the music from the phone though but it connects automatically aswell. Also it transfers calls to your car and pauses music. Then plays it when the call is done.

Great...

Not yet.

I suppose it's a matter of a future software update

Depends on the phone. On my iPhone it's 2 clicks....if it's unlocked. You go to audio sources (IIRC) then select either BMW, Phone, or Speaker.

Aha, exactly like with my BT headset, there's no difference then.

No the car keeps the call. Again go to audio sources and switch it to Phone.

Fair. Does it immediately break the connection as I press the Stop Engine button?

Thanks for your answers. Now I understand...
I think I'll go for it, although I still don't consider the option worth the money; it's interesting to note that it costs more than any phone itself . At least in Europe, don't know about US.
btw, the forum returned you the shortness information because you wrote the reply completely in the quote field, as it supposed that you did not add anything
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #8
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

You're right...its not worth the money...but

If you can afford it get it.

I chose not to, and really which I at least got the USB IPOD 6FL (and could've added BT to that).

In any case, I wanted to save money up front and am unsatisfied with not having OEM phone integration.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #9
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

I chose not to, and really which I at least got the USB IPOD 6FL (and could've added BT to that).

In any case, I wanted to save money up front and am unsatisfied with not having OEM phone integration.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
themaster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post

I see.. thanks for your opinion. It seems I'll have to remove the heated seats and garage opener in order to create space for BT (to match the previous price which I set as a limit). But I think I'll need and use BT much more than these two options. I just wanted to check what's included in the option.
Appreciate 0