E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > DIY-Changing spark plugs on e90 330i

12-28-2017, 11:09 AM   #331
Deutschophile
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010 328i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
No difference, I believe our cars came with Bosch from factory. As you may already know anything with BMW print has a big mark up. Just do your homework right and you will save big.
Thanks - appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 11:42 AM   #332
Deutschophile
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010 328i XDrive

Sorry to bump this thread again, but I'd like to be absolutely clear before purchasing new spark plugs. I did some research - prices range from $12 to $120 for the things!

Is there really any major difference between plugs with vast price ranges? For instance, I'm looking at this one, which is $17, shipping included:

https://www.sparkplugs.com/product.aspx?zpid=8668

And this one:

https://www.autozone.com/external-en...15247_721420_0

Which comes to about $77!

I suppose my confusion lies in knowing what TYPE of spark plug I should buy, and why some of them are markedly more expensive. Are some materials better, or even mandatory for my vehicle, or is most of it just markup?

I read up on iridium and copper plugs, but really don't know the benefit of either, or whether one or the other is essential for my system.

I'd really like to understand the logic behind it's physics/chemistry of the material benefits, if possible. That what I'll have less silly little questions for y'all.

I have a 2010 328i Sedan (E90), btw.

Lastly, forgive my ignorance - I have ton to learn.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #333
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutschophile View Post
Sorry to bump this thread again, but I'd like to be absolutely clear before purchasing new spark plugs. I did some research - prices range from $12 to $120 for the things!

Is there really any major difference between plugs with vast price ranges? For instance, I'm looking at this one, which is $17, shipping included:

https://www.sparkplugs.com/product.aspx?zpid=8668

And this one:

https://www.autozone.com/external-en...15247_721420_0

Which comes to about $77!

I suppose my confusion lies in knowing what TYPE of spark plug I should buy, and why some of them are markedly more expensive. Are some materials better, or even mandatory for my vehicle, or is most of it just markup?

I read up on iridium and copper plugs, but really don't know the benefit of either, or whether one or the other is essential for my system.

I'd really like to understand the logic behind it's physics/chemistry of the material benefits, if possible. That what I'll have less silly little questions for y'all.

I have a 2010 328i Sedan (E90), btw.

Lastly, forgive my ignorance - I have ton to learn.
I've used both NGK Iridium and Bosch platinum for about $7 each. There is absolutely no difference. Got them from fcpeuro.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2019, 09:14 AM   #334
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUrhino View Post
Great Thread! But still a bit confused. I “still” have a 2006 325i with a 11/2005 production date, and 158k miles.

I’ve read a lot of comments from people talking about which NGK plug is current, correct, the best, etc. As well as some posts talking about which plugs and coils you can and can’t use together.

Based on all I’ve found on NGKs website, Real OEM, and users on here quoting dealerships, the NGK ILZFR6D11 Iridium plug was one of the OE plugs used, but no longer used by BMW, correct? Now they’re using the NGK PLZFR6A11S Platinum plug? NGKs site shows the Iridium plug as the one to use for an ‘05 325i (and they sell them). Real OEM shows the Platinum plug as the one to use. And the attached BMW service bulletin as of Dec 2010 (pulled from a different thread) says to replace plugs in the N52 engine with only Iridium plugs. I can’t confirm where the service bulletin came from since it says 2007 328i at the top, but the chart includes the 2005 325i e90 engine on it (with respective official torque specs and non-adjustable plug gaps). So, the Iridium plug seems to be the one to go with, but appears either one will work just fine. Whoa...yeah, confusing.

Now for the coil discussion. On the second attachment, BMW states to replace all Bosch coils with the updated Delphi design due to a flaw w/ the Bosch coils, the next time the vehicle is due for service. I would think that any of the spark plugs approved for the engine would work w/ the old Bosch coils or the new Delphi’s. Any thoughts or actual tech bulletins addressing this? Or is it just a rumor that was started somewhere?

I’ve got the new Delphi coils at home and am trying to decide which spark plugs to use. Thanks for helping to clear this up...which part(s) to use shouldn’t be this confusing!
Just get the plugs spec'd in realOEM.com. You are thinking about this WAY too hard.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 08:10 PM   #335
bimmerzeit
Private
Rep
Drives: E28, E39, E90

I'm using the NGK laser iridiums you mentioned, part number ILZFR6D11

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 08:39 AM   #336
alqoumi
Indonesian Labor Inspector
Indonesia