E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > 2021 Tire Thread AWD

03-14-2021, 08:01 PM   #1
SiEgs90
Private
Rep
Drives: 08. 328xi. 97k. N52.

2021 Tire Thread AWD

I’m looking to throw on some new tires this year since my summer tires are about done. 4/32. I’ve had on 16” Pirelli P7 Summer Go Flats for about 3-4 years during April-Nov. I’m thinking of ditching summers for a performance all season tire throughout March-December. I’m doing this so I’m not stuck with summer tires on and a freak cold spell comes around during the months of March, April, October. I’ve read using non star approved BMW tires being bad for the AWD system, but I don’t know how that’s possible. I also read that using non run flats and non star approved tires will result in a more floaty ride because of the suspension being designed to run on RFTs. I’ve been using non run flat Dunlop Winter 4D Sports tires for the last 3 years during winter. The car is definitely floaty over dips at high speeds. So with that being said I was wondering if anybody likes all season high performance or all season ultra high performance tires? I like the idea of the longer treadlife as opposed to summer tires which do not have a tread life warranty and seem to wear down rather quickly. Like the look of the Kumho Ecsta PA51s and the Sumitomo P03. Maybe a Kumho PS31 if I want to stay with summers. As long as the speed rating and load index is fine I don’t see the big deal with ditching BMW approved tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 06:51 PM   #2
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

Non run-flat tires will make the car better in every way. (unless you get a flat tire)

Pay no mind to the BMW 'approval' for tires. On some subjects BMW's s*** smells the same as everybody else's.

I like the Continental DWS for moderate performance summer street tires. I like the DW better but they aren't available anymore.

Really you'll have a hard time making a bad decision for 'moderate performance' street tires. A lot of good tires out there. Read reviews at tirerack to alert you for excessive noise or bad wet performance.
      03-15-2021, 06:57 PM   #3
SiEgs90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian86 View Post
Non run-flat tires will make the car better in every way. (unless you get a flat tire)

Pay no mind to the BMW 'approval' for tires. On some subjects BMW's s*** smells the same as everybody else's.

I like the Continental DWS for moderate performance summer street tires. I like the DW better but they aren't available anymore.

Really you'll have a hard time making a bad decision for 'moderate performance' street tires. A lot of good tires out there. Read reviews at tirerack to alert you for excessive noise or bad wet performance.
True. I read that if you’re running AWD anyway and you get a flat you’re
probably better off replacing all four tires because the difference in tread depth can make your diff work harder than it needs to. So why buy run flats if you’re gonna have to replace it anyway. Or buy a replacement tire and have it shaved down to match the tread of all the other tires.
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1366.00
      03-16-2021, 07:00 PM   #4
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

Unless somebody else chimes in with e9x specific experiences about the computer getting angry...

I wouldn't expect running one new tire and 3x old ones to bother the car very much. The transfer case is very forgiving of different rotational speeds. It's engineered to be slipping continuously even when the tires are perfectly matched.

Differentials have been handling tires with different wear thicknesses, and even mismatched tires for about 100 years without too many problems. These cars don't have limited diff's so as long as they are pretty close it'll run alright.
      03-18-2021, 08:09 AM   #5
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiEgs90 View Post
I’m looking to throw on some new tires this year since my summer tires are about done. 4/32. I’ve had on 16” Pirelli P7 Summer Go Flats for about 3-4 years during April-Nov. I’m thinking of ditching summers for a performance all season tire throughout March-December. I’m doing this so I’m not stuck with summer tires on and a freak cold spell comes around during the months of March, April, October. I’ve read using non star approved BMW tires being bad for the AWD system, but I don’t know how that’s possible. I also read that using non run flats and non star approved tires will result in a more floaty ride because of the suspension being designed to run on RFTs. I’ve been using non run flat Dunlop Winter 4D Sports tires for the last 3 years during winter. The car is definitely floaty over dips at high speeds. So with that being said I was wondering if anybody likes all season high performance or all season ultra high performance tires? I like the idea of the longer treadlife as opposed to summer tires which do not have a tread life warranty and seem to wear down rather quickly. Like the look of the Kumho Ecsta PA51s and the Sumitomo P03. Maybe a Kumho PS31 if I want to stay with summers. As long as the speed rating and load index is fine I don’t see the big deal with ditching BMW approved tires.
Forget approved tires. Even BMW dealerships sell "non-approved" tires. It is one of those BMW gimmick they use to rack up profit.
Truth is BMW suspension is made with RFT in mind, but it does not require too much to get it in order. xDrive are base suspension, so going better shocks would help (as far as I know, B4 are bit harder than OE, and many people like on street KONI Special red).
What you could do is change strut/shock mounts to Monroe ones. They are cheap, made out of rubber and not foam like BMW ones. That is go to uber cheap way to negate effect of not having RFT's.
I run in winter on my 328 205/55 R16 snow tires, and works like charm. Reason is all new potholes that pop out in winter, and thick sidewall really helps protecting suspension from damage.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 09:38 AM   #6
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
I ran DWS 06 all seasons on my 330i and never had an issue with a PA winter. I think I paid $500 for a set of 18s on my E90 which to me was very affordable for the quality of tire.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 07:05 PM   #7
SiEgs90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
I ran DWS 06 all seasons on my 330i and never had an issue with a PA winter. I think I paid $500 for a set of 18s on my E90 which to me was very affordable for the quality of tire.
I’ll keep that in mind. In PA as well. It’s such a weird state for weather and weather can change on a dime in the transitional months. One day is 65 and the next day the high is 39.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 07:07 PM   #8
SiEgs90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Forget approved tires. Even BMW dealerships sell "non-approved" tires. It is one of those BMW gimmick they use to rack up profit.
Truth is BMW suspension is made with RFT in mind, but it does not require too much to get it in order. xDrive are base suspension, so going better shocks would help (as far as I know, B4 are bit harder than OE, and many people like on street KONI Special red).
What you could do is change strut/shock mounts to Monroe ones. They are cheap, made out of rubber and not foam like BMW ones. That is go to uber cheap way to negate effect of not having RFT's.
I run in winter on my 328 205/55 R16 snow tires, and works like charm. Reason is all new potholes that pop out in winter, and thick sidewall really helps protecting suspension from damage.
I replaced the rears with B4 and new stock springs. Will be doing the front soon as well. They’re def a bit harder.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 10:10 PM   #9
SiEgs90
Private
Rep

Also, if BMW uses RFTs to match up with their suspension would using a go flat tire with a higher load index compensate for that? I’ve seen a lot of tires listed for my car rated at a 91SL which is what the car came with and saw some Sumitomos with a load index of 94XL. Would this stiffer sidewall be an improvement and would it help alleviate some strain on the suspension?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 08:21 AM   #10
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Also, if BMW uses RFTs to match up with their suspension would using a go flat tire with a higher load index compensate for that? I’ve seen a lot of tires listed for my car rated at a 91SL which is what the car came with and saw some Sumitomos with a load index of 94XL. Would this stiffer sidewall be an improvement and would it help alleviate some strain on the suspension?
Going XL is not going to negate effects of not having RFT. IMO non-RFT is improvement as it gives more natural feeling and reduces rotational weight. Excessive weight on wheels is the worst possible thing.
My 205/55 R16 are 91 XL, and they behave like 205/55 tire. Bit undertire for E90 and the way I drive, but I ski once a week in CO, and I really need capable snow tire. I would go different, stiffer mounts to resolve that issue. Monroe are upgrade and cheap!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 08:23 AM   #11
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
I replaced the rears with B4 and new stock springs. Will be doing the front soon as well. They’re def a bit harder.

Thanks for input. I track car, but also use it to drive kids to daycare etc. So need to be family and track capable
I am going to do soon shock replacement and thinking between B4, B6 or Koni SA.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 01:38 PM   #12
SiEgs90
Private
Rep

Quote:
[/SIZE]
Thanks for input. I track car, but also use it to drive kids to daycare etc. So need to be family and track capable
I am going to do soon shock replacement and thinking between B4, B6 or Koni SA.
I grabbed the B4 because ECS had them for around $230 for front and rears. The rears are at about 25k on them and no leaks.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 02:54 PM   #13
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
I grabbed the B4 because ECS had them for around $230 for front and rears. The rears are at about 25k on them and no leaks.
Yeah, for xDrive they are $390.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 09:03 PM   #14
caldep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325xi Touring MT X1 x28i

Garage List
2023 X2 F39  [0.00]
2022 X3 G01  [0.00]
2006 e91  [10.00]
I've been running Michelin Pilot AS/3's on both of my BMW's. No floaty feel whatsoever and love the way they grip in the wet and dry. Very tight handling on my 'X' drive and my xi. I highly recommend them if you are not trying to make them work in snow. They have been awesome on track as well (I'm sure the Pilot or a true summer performance would outperform them).
      03-23-2021, 11:22 AM   #15
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldep View Post
I've been running Michelin Pilot AS/3's on both of my BMW's. No floaty feel whatsoever and love the way they grip in the wet and dry. Very tight handling on my 'X' drive and my xi. I highly recommend them if you are not trying to make them work in snow. They have been awesome on track as well (I'm sure the Pilot or a true summer performance would outperform them).
I have them on wife's Tiguan. They are borderline summer tire. Exceptional performance in dry and wet for A/S tire. I use it for cold weather, as I switch all 3 cars to snow tires in winter.
I personally like to have separate wheels for track (I found 4 18" wheels from E60 550i for $100, and I just got Falken Azenis 615+ tires for them) as I do not want to damage tire on track, and use it driving kids around.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 03:12 PM   #16
MikeP335i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

I run the Pilot Sport AS3 as well. 335xi, stage 2 on KW V3s. I'm in VA and have them on the car year round. Great performance for an AS street tire, good wear too. I'm not sure I'd run them at the track, I think they would wear unusually fast but that's just based on some advice from a friend. I have the continental equivalent on my 335i, those are nice as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 02:42 PM   #17
kenmar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Yes, Monroe would be uber cheap. For a noticeable improvement, switch to poly rear upper mounts. I noticed the firmed up rear end immediately once I installed the Powerflex but, mind you, I did install them at the same time as Koni yellows (on stock springs). For comparison, I installed the front Koni yellows separately and felt minimal improvement in handling. Bonus: zero squeaks/noises (a welcome benefit compared to poly antisway bar bushings!).
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 01:31 PM   #18
twssas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340xi, 2018 X5, 2014 Z4

I have a 2021 M340xdrive on order, with staggered PS4s. Planning ahead when those eventually wear out to replace with AS4+ (assuming they have the size)

I once had the AS3's on a 535. great tire. Hope the AS4 will fit the M340 eventually. (if not I guess can still go with the AS3.
Appreciate 0