E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Trunk open warning

02-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #23
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i + 2014 X5

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
As soon as I read this I thought of something right away - the trunk wiring harness. E36s, E46s, E39s (including my own) have all had breakdown of the wiring in the rubber rube connecting the body to the trunk lid.

When I got my E90 I noticed this looked almost identical to the E39 harness but I was hoping they had updated materials or something.

My E39: http://pics.uplink.ca/public/2007-01...9TrunkHarness/
Just one random Internet thread on the issue: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=397245

Don't be surprised if this affects E90 sedans too. Once or twice per year you'll need to pull that boot back and inspect or repair.
Yes, this x1000

I also had an E39 and all of its associated bugs, including this one.

Those wires are easy to get to -- pull back the end of the little boot on the passenger side top/inside of the trunk lid and check for a frayed or broken wire. I have an aftermarket trunk lid, so when I installed it I added a little extra insulation to those wires so I would hopefully avoid this problem for the near future.

2008 E90 335i // Black Everything // photos
COBB tuned / QTP e-cutouts / Helix FMIC / cp-e DCI / AWE BOVs / Catless / FBO + F15 X5 xDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #24
bubbs
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive

I just picked up a 2011 E90 earlier this week. Started getting the trunk warning each time I accelerated from a stop. I also had difficult shutting the truck be cause of snow. Today I went out and cleaned the snow and ice off the trunk and it works fine. If it starts again I'll take it in for the dealer to look at.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #25
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 328 wagon

It could be one of two things...The physical mechanism that latches the trunk and keeps it closed could need a good cleaning and lube with the appropriate grease...probably a good silicone or lithium grease.

If the trunk comes open after you have clearly shut it, then the latch is not moving into its fully locked position because it simply needs grease.....(I just serviced all my hood latches and catches because they were getting a bit sluggish in their full range of motion...these things should operate freely throughout their full travel...not just enough to catch the door, trunk or hood)
(work wd40 into the latch and make sure it is working well, then give it a shot or two of silicone or litium)

It could also be a loose latch on either the trunk or sill, but I doubt it.

lastly, (and this is only for a trunk that stays closed probably) there is a micro switch that senses a fully closed trunk that is wired to your dash light...it could be corroded or just need a bit of tlc...which is usually no more than a good inspection and cleaning...I doubt this is it...it would be rare....but I have seen this happen on drivers doors that get a lot of use.

JP

(okay, that was three things sorry)
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 05:26 AM   #26
E90lci2009
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 Lci 2009

Boot lid saying open when it’s not

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07lilredwagon View Post
It could be one of two things...The physical mechanism that latches the trunk and keeps it closed could need a good cleaning and lube with the appropriate grease...probably a good silicone or lithium grease.

If the trunk comes open after you have clearly shut it, then the latch is not moving into its fully locked position because it simply needs grease.....(I just serviced all my hood latches and catches because they were getting a bit sluggish in their full range of motion...these things should operate freely throughout their full travel...not just enough to catch the door, trunk or hood)
(work wd40 into the latch and make sure it is working well, then give it a shot or two of silicone or litium)

It could also be a loose latch on either the trunk or sill, but I doubt it.

lastly, (and this is only for a trunk that stays closed probably) there is a micro switch that senses a fully closed trunk that is wired to your dash light...it could be corroded or just need a bit of tlc...which is usually no more than a good inspection and cleaning...I doubt this is it...it would be rare....but I have seen this happen on drivers doors that get a lot of use.

JP

(okay, that was three things sorry)
Hi JP

I have the issue of the boot saying it’s open when it’s not, I’ve had a look on the rubber with all the wires and all seems in place. I’ve gone and bought and installed a new boot locking mechanism and it’s hasn’t sorted it out. I’ve read through the three things you have mentioned above, could please tell me where the location of the micro switch (my alarm seems too keep going of wen the car is locked)

Much appreciated
Ru
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 09:54 AM   #27
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
99% of the time the problem is the wiring that goes to the trunk breaks in the boot where it bends.

Also, way to bring this thread back from the depths of history!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 11:25 AM   #28
E90lci2009
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 Lci 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
99% of the time the problem is the wiring that goes to the trunk breaks in the boot where it bends.

Also, way to bring this thread back from the depths of history!
Hi vilord.
I’ve checked that and all the wires seem to be fine. Still no luck and having to lock the car thru passenger side as alarm keeps going off
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 07:07 AM   #29
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Anyone find a definite fix for this? My 07' 335i has started giving me a random "trunk open" warning on the dash....and the truck is closed. It seems like it always does it in the morning as I pull out of the driveway, and then ever does it again. Very odd.
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 08:13 AM   #30
migmog
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 325i Convertible

I got the same thing about 5 times yesterday while stopped in traffic. I suspect something wrong with a control box, as I also got a far more worrying problem - power steering failure when I stopped. This error went away with no intervention once the breakdown service guy arrived an hour later.

So I'm wondering if it could be water or heat problem in a control box somewhere. Does anyone know if these two functions are controlled in the same box?
Appreciate 0