E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > I Twin Screw Supercharged my N52



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-02-2021, 08:51 PM   #1
303bmw
Enlisted Member
303bmw's Avatar
39
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 06 325xi
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

I Twin Screw Supercharged my N52

My friend and I put a Twin screw style supercharger on my 325 last week. It is also intercooled. Everything is hand made, nothing was bolt on aside from the few n54 parts.







First start-up/rev


More revving


Rolling burnout


Everything works good so far, but my AEM boost gauge isn't picking up a boost reading from the intake manifold, not sure why. Obviously no vacuum reading because of valvetronic. Gauge tested good on vacuum tester and air compressor.

Next steps
-Make Boost gauge work
-Tune from bob at sfp
-Install N54 Oil cooler
__________________
2006 325xi- RWD swap, 100 wet shot NOS, Gutted, N54 intake, SFP tune
Appreciate 9
      05-02-2021, 10:14 PM   #2
ky0u
Captain
ky0u's Avatar
United_States
694
Rep
656
Posts

Drives: 2007 e92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
This is great! have you had a chance to dyno yet?
__________________
IG: @dragon_e92

Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 10:21 PM   #3
303bmw
Enlisted Member
303bmw's Avatar
39
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 06 325xi
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky0u View Post
This is great! have you had a chance to dyno yet?
No, but I will be putting it on a dyno and doing a 1/4 mile run when the tuning is done
Appreciate 1
ky0u694.00

      05-02-2021, 10:27 PM   #4
ornicar
Private First Class
ornicar's Avatar
No_Country
76
Rep
192
Posts

Drives: 125i
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: France

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303bmw View Post
My friend and I put a Twin screw style supercharger on my 325 last week. It is also intercooled. Everything is hand made, nothing was bolt on aside from the few n54 parts.







First start-up/rev


More revving


Rolling burnout


Everything works good so far, but my AEM boost gauge isn't picking up a boost reading from the intake manifold, not sure why. Obviously no vacuum reading because of valvetronic. Gauge tested good on vacuum tester and air compressor.

Next steps
-Make Boost gauge work
-Tune from bob at sfp
-Install N54 Oil cooler
what brand and model is the twin screw SC?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 10:51 PM   #5
303bmw
Enlisted Member
303bmw's Avatar
39
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 06 325xi
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ornicar View Post
what brand and model is the twin screw SC?
I'm not sure, my friend just had it sitting in his garage for years. It's from an old Ford. M90 variant I believe
Appreciate 1
ornicar76.00

      05-02-2021, 11:03 PM   #6
Noir
Major
Noir's Avatar
United_States
756
Rep
1,330
Posts

Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: San Antonio

iTrader: (1)

That is so sick omg
Edit: didn't take my all caps >

That's what I wish this ESS kit sounded like 😩
I know it's not the same and all that shit.... but damn. A straight six just screaming bloody murder all the time? I'm green with envy.
__________________
See you, space cowboy.
Supercharged
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 01:20 AM   #7
tlow98
Brigadier General
1617
Rep
4,071
Posts

Drives: 2009 E91
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (2)

Yep, love it. Would like to know/see how you mounted that beast of metal in there...
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 03:34 AM   #8
Biginboca
Colonel
Biginboca's Avatar
2564
Rep
2,183
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Boynton Beach, FL... USA

iTrader: (3)

A lot of work there, nice job pulling it off!

Can’t wait to see how it does on the dyno and 1/4 mile.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 07:25 AM   #9
NoGuru
Major
NoGuru's Avatar
544
Rep
1,186
Posts

Drives: 335is
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: MI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2002 Jeep Cherokee  [0.00]
2014 CTS  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
Wow, great work. In for results as well.
__________________
2011 335is DCT BQ Tuning / BMS CAI / VRSF kittyless DP's / Synapse BOV and charge pipe / 7" VRSF Race FMIC / Walbro 535 and 450 on Hobbs / E45 tune / Diff Brace / PR Coils / Relocation Inlets / DAW Stage3+ Turbos / MMP port injection / xHP Stage 3 / FPR and -6 fuel lines
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 09:10 AM   #10
E92_William
Second Lieutenant
E92_William's Avatar
United_States
275
Rep
268
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Where is the supercharger attached to the block? Is it mounted where the driver side motor mount bracket connects to the engine? Would be great to see which exact supercharger this is and if it can be sourced for a good price used it might beat out existing options that cost the same as a whole used e90
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 2
e90yyc1174.50

      05-03-2021, 09:52 AM   #11
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
149
Rep
401
Posts

Drives: 06' 325i 6spd
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303bmw View Post
No, but I will be putting it on a dyno and doing a 1/4 mile run when the tuning is done

Nice work!! what did the nitrous setup run in the quarter mile?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 11:11 AM   #12
Kiddvegas
Enlisted Member
50
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: bmw 328i
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Vancouver, Bc Canada

iTrader: (0)

That is sickkkkk.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 03:58 PM   #13
whyzee125
Lieutenant Colonel
510
Rep
1,712
Posts

Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chattanooga Tn

iTrader: (0)

Wow, this car is an animal! I love it
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 04:02 PM   #14
E9011
New Member
6
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 08 335i
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Saskatchewan

iTrader: (0)

That sounds incredible! Nice work.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 05:46 PM   #15
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
desertman123's Avatar
United_States
2010
Rep
2,102
Posts

Drives: '08 128i
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [5.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [5.00]
That is amazing!!!
__________________

My 2008 128i - Sparkling Graphite/Beige - Sport pkg - 6MT - Click me!
Parents' 2014 528i - Mineral White/Ivory White - fully loaded
Instagram @Andreys_128i
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 05:51 PM   #16
nsjames
Brigadier General
1963
Rep
3,834
Posts

Drives: 08 328xi Touring
Join Date: May 2017
Location: ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_William View Post
Where is the supercharger attached to the block? Is it mounted where the driver side motor mount bracket connects to the engine? Would be great to see which exact supercharger this is and if it can be sourced for a good price used it might beat out existing options that cost the same as a whole used e90
it looks like a thunderbird super coupe unit.
GM also used them on a bunch of v6 junk in the late 90's early 2000s w bodies.
they are cheap, but there are far better options if you don't just have one laying about like the OP.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 01:51 PM   #17
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
556
Rep
2,016
Posts

Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hawaii

iTrader: (0)

Nice work. Scared of that oil cooler but I guess that's similar to where the others have been placed. This build looks very interesting...I do think its funny you just "slapped one in there" but its more than I could do. Keep us posted
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 02:08 PM   #18
Kiddvegas
Enlisted Member
50
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: bmw 328i
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Vancouver, Bc Canada

iTrader: (0)

Which injectors are you running? Do you have a rough idea on how much boost the pulley is making?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 10:19 PM   #19
CRE
Private
United_States
33
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lakewood, Colorado, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
That is so sick omg
Edit: didn't take my all caps >

That's what I wish this ESS kit sounded like ��
I know it's not the same and all that shit.... but damn. A straight six just screaming bloody murder all the time? I'm green with envy.

Try an 82mm pulley and muffler delete. Mine SCREAMS.... Way louder than I want actually.

303, I'm still watching the roads for your car like a sicko with a van in a school zone. I really hope to see this in person eventually. Where did you connect the line for your boost signal? I drilled and tapped the upper intake plenum next to the MAP sensor.

Last edited by CRE; 05-13-2021 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
Noir755.50

      05-13-2021, 09:53 PM   #20
303bmw
Enlisted Member
303bmw's Avatar
39
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 06 325xi
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
That is so sick omg
Edit: didn't take my all caps >

That's what I wish this ESS kit sounded like 😩
I know it's not the same and all that shit.... but damn. A straight six just screaming bloody murder all the time? I'm green with envy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Yep, love it. Would like to know/see how you mounted that beast of metal in there...
Fabbed a bracket over alternator and use two holes under intake manifold on engine block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
A lot of work there, nice job pulling it off!

Canít wait to see how it does on the dyno and 1/4 mile.
Thanks man me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGuru View Post
Wow, great work. In for results as well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_William View Post
Where is the supercharger attached to the block? Is it mounted where the driver side motor mount bracket connects to the engine? Would be great to see which exact supercharger this is and if it can be sourced for a good price used it might beat out existing options that cost the same as a whole used e90
It is from a 91 thunderbird super coupe, an eaton m90. It slides onto a rod mounted onto alternator holes, and bolts onto a bracket attached to the block under intake mani. It 100% wouldn't be worth the price of fabrication if you or a friend can't make it yourself. We spent 3 days straight on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by gT-BMW View Post
Nice work!! what did the nitrous setup run in the quarter mile?
I never got a finished tune for it, only a base map with only 16.5* timing, bob said we could've gone to mid 20's. It did 13.5 @104MPH 2.17 60 ft, 5197ft Altitude, 11390 DA, 30* F on crap street tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
Wow, this car is an animal! I love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by E9011 View Post
That sounds incredible! Nice work.
Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
That is amazing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
it looks like a thunderbird super coupe unit.
GM also used them on a bunch of v6 junk in the late 90's early 2000s w bodies.
they are cheap, but there are far better options if you don't just have one laying about like the OP.
Yes you are right that's what it was from. What models would you have suggested over the m90?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Nice work. Scared of that oil cooler but I guess that's similar to where the others have been placed. This build looks very interesting...I do think its funny you just "slapped one in there" but its more than I could do. Keep us posted
The big trans oil cooler? It's mounted tight with plenty of space for wheel to turn no issues. It's a BMS one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddvegas View Post
Which injectors are you running? Do you have a rough idea on how much boost the pulley is making?
OEM M3 S65 injectors. Seems to be running around 10psi but I need to fix a few boost leaks still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRE View Post
Try an 82mm pulley and muffler delete. Mine SCREAMS.... Way louder than I want actually.
:O

303, I'm still watching the roads for your car like a sicko with a van in a school zone. I really hope to see this in person eventually. Where did you connect the line for your boost signal? I drilled and tapped the upper intake plenum next to the MAP sensor.
I'm usually around Denver haha. Hope you don't catch me before I'm tuned I tapped the intake manifold to the left of the throttle body.


UPDATE:
Thinking about going standalone or AEM FIC for ease of tuning, anyone have experience with these options? Would prefer to have it physically tuned on a dyno, and Bob is a busy guy. Unless the legend hassmaschine wants to have a go at tuning it, but I know he's busy too.

There is a 1/4 mile event coming up in 2 weeks, hoping to have it dialed in before then to get some numbers.
__________________
2006 325xi- RWD swap, 100 wet shot NOS, Gutted, N54 intake, SFP tune
Appreciate 1
ornicar76.00

      05-14-2021, 07:51 PM   #21
CRE
Private
United_States
33
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lakewood, Colorado, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303bmw
I'm usually around Denver haha. Hope you don't catch me before I'm tuned I tapped the intake manifold to the left of the throttle body.


UPDATE:
Thinking about going standalone or AEM FIC for ease of tuning, anyone have experience with these options? Would prefer to have it physically tuned on a dyno, and Bob is a busy guy.
By the throttle body, did you use the evap port (or close to it)? I tried that and the boost/vac signal was slow and irregular.

Yeah, Bob's a bit hard to get a hold of. A friend is having issues with his tune and the updates to get it sorted out have been slow in coming from what I'm told. I'm waiting on my tuner for some big changes but he's in the middle of moving to Hawaii. I'm running extremely rich but I don't want to reduce my water meth in the meantime.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 08:53 PM   #22
CRE
Private
United_States
33
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lakewood, Colorado, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
That is so sick omg
Edit: didn't take my all caps >

That's what I wish this ESS kit sounded like ��
I know it's not the same and all that shit.... but damn. A straight six just screaming bloody murder all the time? I'm green with envy.
This is how mine sounds. Not WOT and the video is actually quite quiet so turn up the volume and throw on some headphones. Sorry, just have the one short clip out on the road.



NOIR, clean out you PMs. I can't reply if it's full.

In response to your PM:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir
Hey bro,

Sorry to ping you so late.
I'm sure you have an accompanying tune for it, but with the 82mm, you are not experiencing anything rough at idle? Was speaking with Bob about the matter of upping boost and he mentioned the potential excessive boost needing a BOV and so on..

Thanks in advance, brother.
Hey,

My idle is fine. I do have some issues with boost creep when I'm engine braking at or above 3.5k rpm. Well, not boost creep per se but more of a stuck open throttle plate. I've just finished fabricating a charge pipe solution for a BOV and I'm working on getting an electronic BOV up and running. Also working on getting the MAF up and running again. Another Z4 owner with the same setup as mine (larger pulley as he's not at a high altitude like me, but he's making the same boost) doesn't have any idle issues either. He's got an automatic and I've got a 6spd manual. Bob is doing his tuning.

Last edited by CRE; 05-14-2021 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST