E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > E92 leaks oil only after changing

03-21-2021, 05:48 PM   #1
68vert
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 6spd MT

E92 leaks oil only after changing

Hello,

After my last 3 oil changes, my MT NA E92 leaks oil for about couple days then stops. I'm real careful about not spilling the oil when filling. Last time I left it with my mechanic for 3 days. He had it up on stands, drove it, and put it back on stands again to monitor it. His conclusion was that I inadvertently spilled some oil when filling. Anyone else have this happen? Am I overfilling with 7 quarts?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 12:37 AM   #2
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vert View Post
Hello,

After my last 3 oil changes, my MT NA E92 leaks oil for about couple days then stops. I'm real careful about not spilling the oil when filling. Last time I left it with my mechanic for 3 days. He had it up on stands, drove it, and put it back on stands again to monitor it. His conclusion was that I inadvertently spilled some oil when filling. Anyone else have this happen? Am I overfilling with 7 quarts?
No, I think most people put in 7 qts, along it it's a slight overfill with a 6.9 qt (6.5) capacity. I usually put in about 6.5 qts and then top off if need needed after checking the level. Usually don't need to though.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 10:02 AM   #3
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
It's likely from the belly pan. I saw a small spot on the ground from my car one day after changing the oil and thought maybe the drain plug was leaking. Turns out that when I drained the oil, some of it dripped into the plastic belly pan, and later on that dripped through the oil change "door" in the pan onto my driveway, the drain plug and engine were dry.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 01:01 PM   #4
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

Do you think that you drain 7 quarts of oil when you empty the oil pan? Odds are, you drain less and overfill if you just refill 7 quarts. I pull the oil pan bolt and let drain, install new filter, replace the bolt w/washer then fill 6 quarts before checking oil level. I add oil to get it to the full mark not max level. Once you've put the car on a level surface, you will get an accurate reading and have confidence in your work.