E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Fluid Leak During Brake Pad/Rotor Refresh

04-05-2021, 09:11 PM   #1
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 MT6

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
Fluid Leak During Brake Pad/Rotor Refresh

Replaced front rotors/pads over the weekend. I was almost done when I noticed a fluid spot under driver side door/front corner panel joint. Am baffled. Any thoughts on the source? Am including photo of where I believe the leak came through the underhood shield. I believe it was oil, but not sure.

Brake fluid replaced 30K ago, so it shoudn't be that color anyway. I checked the brake fluid reservoir, and no fluid appears to have leaked out when I compressed the calipers to get the new pads in. I wonder if I have some other mystery leak that had been pooling for some time on the underhood shield. I did the OFHG and VCG a few months ago, and do not believe either are leaking.

Yes, I know my jack pads are mangled and my inspection is expired. I have replacements, and a new jackpad adapter....
Attached Images

Last edited by E93Dude; 04-05-2021 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 10:11 PM   #2
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Looks like oil. Hard to say without some other clues.

Pull the bottom tray and take a look around. Check your pan (and drain plug). Then re-inspect VCG, OFHG. Also check Vanos. But basically, look for oil traces and follow the trail.
Appreciate 0