E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > I don't to insert a key to start my car.

03-18-2019, 06:45 PM   #1
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335

I don't to insert a key to start my car.

I let my daughter use my 2008 E93 giving her instructions over the phone since I was not home. I told her to put the key in the hole, then push to start, etc. She didn't seem to get what I was saying but said she drove the car just fine so I though all was normal. I let her drive again with me in the car and she gets in and puts the key in her purse. I say you need to turn on the car by putting the key in the hole. She say, "no I don't". Then pushes the start button once, everything lights up, then presses it again with her foot on the brake and the car starts and we drive off. Then when she kills the engine with push to start/stop I notice that the ignition is still on but watch what she does. She simply gets out the car and closes the door. The dash is still lit, my CIC is still on the home screen, etc. When she locks the car with the BMW button that turns off the ignition, dash, CIC screen, etc. and locks the doors. We come back and sure enough, just unlock and get in the car. Never put the key in the dash and just start and go. The ONLY odd situation is if you want to shut off the car and leave it open the ignition will stay on. At least for the few minutes I waited to see if it will shut off on it's own or not. I also noticed that if I turn on the ignition to listed to the radio, etc. but never actually start the car, the lock button will NOT turn the ignition off. Then I put my key in the hole, then click it back out to shut things off. Most of the time I will just be able to keep it in my pocket though and not use the key hole any more.

My question is: Is this a normal feature of pre LCI cars with CA or did I enable this in some coding? The only thing I can remember I tried to code like this is the code for NOT having to hit the brake while starting.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 07:17 PM   #2
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Normal operation of comfort access.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      03-18-2019, 07:17 PM   #3
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEQuest View Post
I let my daughter use my 2008 E93 giving her instructions over the phone since I was not home. I told her to put the key in the hole, then push to start, etc. She didn't seem to get what I was saying but said she drove the car just fine so I though all was normal. I let her drive again with me in the car and she gets in and puts the key in her purse. I say you need to turn on the car by putting the key in the hole. She say, "no I don't". Then pushes the start button once, everything lights up, then presses it again with her foot on the brake and the car starts and we drive off. Then when she kills the engine with push to start/stop I notice that the ignition is still on but watch what she does. She simply gets out the car and closes the door. The dash is still lit, my CIC is still on the home screen, etc. When she locks the car with the BMW button that turns off the ignition, dash, CIC screen, etc. and locks the doors. We come back and sure enough, just unlock and get in the car. Never put the key in the dash and just start and go. The ONLY odd situation is if you want to shut off the car and leave it open the ignition will stay on. At least for the few minutes I waited to see if it will shut off on it's own or not. I also noticed that if I turn on the ignition to listed to the radio, etc. but never actually start the car, the lock button will NOT turn the ignition off. Then I put my key in the hole, then click it back out to shut things off. Most of the time I will just be able to keep it in my pocket though and not use the key hole any more.

My question is: Is this a normal feature of pre LCI cars with CA or did I enable this in some coding? The only thing I can remember I tried to code like this is the code for NOT having to hit the brake while starting.
What you are describing seems to me to be the standard operating procedure for Comfort Access. You never need to take the key out of your pocket.

If you want to fully shut down the car without locking it - press the on/off button twice when you are done driving. That should shut everything down.
I didn't know that. It seems like you don't really need the hole in the dash if you have comfort access
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 07:18 PM   #4
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What you are describing seems to me to be the standard operating procedure for Comfort Access. You never need to take the key out of your pocket.

If you want to fully shut down the car without locking it - press the on/off button twice when you are done driving. That should shut everything down.
I didn't know that. It seems like you don't really need the hole in the dash if you have comfort access
No wonder people love comfort access so much. It is way better than having to do the whole key thing.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2019, 07:33 PM   #5
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Nope. The only time it's ever used is for the dealer to get the vehicle information during a service visit.

Quote:
No wonder people love comfort access so much. It is way better than having to do the whole key thing.
You bet. Have it on mine and love it. I don't think I've taken the keys out of my pocket ever when getting in or out of the car. Another fun trick with CA is if you stand outside of the car with it turned off, you can raise and lower the windows and raise and lower the top by pressing and holding the lock or unlock buttons.
That I know about. I love that feature. I also just coded my top to open and close at up to 20mph. My next thing is to see if I can code the mirrors to close if I hold the button.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 08:42 PM   #6
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
You need it to start the car if your key fob battery dies or if you develop a problem with the comfort access system.
Appreciate 1
JonEQuest245.00
      03-18-2019, 08:49 PM   #7
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That I know about. I love that feature. I also just coded my top to open and close at up to 20mph. My next thing is to see if I can code the mirrors to close if I hold the button.
Yep - I coded the top while moving, DVD in motion, single push for off on the starter button, MPH digital display in gauge cluster, delete warnings on idrive upon start up, and the mirrors to close upon holding the lock button or 'press and hold' the door handle.

All nice features.
What coding did you do for mirror fold and one click off on? Also can I do DVD playback with my CIC head unit?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 07:56 AM   #8
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What coding did you do for mirror fold and one click off on? Also can I do DVD playback with my CIC head unit?
I had someone else code if for me - so I don't know the specifics, but I do know it is a common hack.

Yes - I can play DVD's in my CIC a I believe that they all can from the factory. The coding just allows it to occur while the car is moving.
yeah, unfortunately mine is a CCC so I can't play DVD. I guess that's fine because I can't see watching a DVD in my car anyway.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      03-19-2019, 08:06 AM   #9
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Yeah. No way I was buying a BMW where I had to put a key then push the button haha. The point of having a button start it to not need to touch your key IMO.

Pretty dumb they made some without comfort access start.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 08:07 AM   #10
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Quote:
Yeah. No way I was buying a BMW where I had to put a key then push the button haha. The point of having a button start it to not need to touch your key IMO.

I agree.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 08:12 AM   #11
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I noticed that if I have not started the car, the only way to get the ignition to ever turn off is to insert the key to turn it on, then click it in again to turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 08:50 AM   #12
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

This is funny because this is the entire reason to HAVE a start button, to not have to use the key and you've been doing it for no reason for how long? lol

But you get a pass because Johnny Quest is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post

My car doesnt have CA and I find it incredibly stupid that I insert a key and then press a button, probably the largest gripe I have with the car. My freaking Hyundai let me keep my key in my pocket

If I could code my car to just accept the key is in range without inserting it I would be very happy.
Appreciate 1
JonEQuest245.00
      03-19-2019, 02:18 PM   #13
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
I noticed that if I have not started the car, the only way to get the ignition to ever turn off is to insert the key to turn it on, then click it in again to turn it off.
You shouldn't ever have to put the key in. Just click the start button twice to turn it off. Even if I turn my ignition on without starting the engine then get out and click the lock button on my fob it shuts everything down.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 02:21 PM   #14
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Quote:
You shouldn't ever have to put the key in. Just click the start button twice to turn it off. Even if I turn my ignition on without starting the engine then get out and click the lock button on my fob it shuts everything down.
If I turn on power but don't start I have to put the key in. Maybe it is due to something I coded hurting me? All I know is if I didn't start the engine I have to use the key in hole to turn it off. I have a 2008 so maybe mine is different than some years.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 04:00 PM   #15
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Without pressing the brake pedal, it's;

1st push for auxillary power, things like radio, windows, moon roof...
2nd push for ignition on and all systems wake.
3rd push (I think) back to auxillary.
4th push all off(or 3rd push might be all off, can't remember).

I usually shut everything down by getting out and locking the car, either by touching the door handle(comfort access), or the fob. It's rare that I have to shut everything down and not lock the car.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #16
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Without pressing the brake pedal, it's;

1st push for auxillary power, things like radio, windows, moon roof...
2nd push for ignition on and all systems wake.
3rd push (I think) back to auxillary.
4th push all off(or 3rd push might be all off, can't remember).

I usually shut everything down by getting out and locking the car, either by touching the door handle(comfort access), or the fob. It's rare that I have to shut everything down and not lock the car.
When I do that all I can do is go between run and axillary. It won't go all the way off. I need to see if I coded something wrong another time. I do notice that it does say no key at times when I am outside the car trying to kill it. But it stays on. I need to try different things like opening or not opening the door etc.
Appreciate 0