E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Dension Gateway 500 working in E90

01-09-2008, 02:45 PM   #67
MrFabulous
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzle View Post
any update on this? i know im bringin old thread back.....
+1. I already have the CD changer and would love to add the Denison.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 05:45 PM   #68
collin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sport+Premium Nav

does anybody know where the Denison GW500 can be purchased for the best price?

Distribution seems quite limited. The Denison site lists a place in Quebec as the only US distributor. The only place I've found online selling it is BumperPlugs for $465 for the box, $99 for bluetooth add-on, $32 for iPod extension, $49 for Video Adapter.

Also, I have read a thousand posts on this and the 6FL option, but want to confirm that the Denison is my only option for full integration into my 2007 335i with Nav and iDrive since the car was built prior to March 2007 (so 6FL will never work for me, right?)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 12:25 AM   #69
drkeng
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 'vert Tanz Blue

I had the Dension, but sent it back; got a full refund and was very thankful as it was a few months later. Got it from the Canadian distributor.
Good luck getting your car coded for a CD changer (if you don't have one) as the Gateway unit also emulates a CDC, just like the dealer MOST adapter. The advantage of the Dension is more ipod-like functionality. I got the MOST adapter and just created playlists for artists to avoid the slowness of the MOST when not using playlists. I figure my car is now coded for a CDC and thought about having the Dension unit installed, but the total cost seemed too high. There are rumblings about a 6FL-like retrofit, but it's unclear if it will work with pre-March 07 builds. BMW doesn't like to provide any advance information on issues like this, something I don't understand. I'm still pissed that I couldn't get 6FL since I got one of the first E93's; they held my car at the port or VPC until late March anyway.
      01-10-2008, 07:18 AM   #70
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Sorry to hear you had to send it back, Keng.

I don't think Orangelax44 will post a follow-up without a PM, if someone is really interested.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 10:42 AM   #71
MB330
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2018 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [10.00]
Subscribed to the thread!
      03-06-2009, 07:33 AM   #72
illingworth22
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackdaw View Post
I got it from here: http://www.autobra.co.uk/shop/produc...roducts_id/201 for £270.
The cables on the module that you see in the first photograph are not connected to the car - one is to an RCA and bypass switch to reconnect the CD changer, one to the Ipod and the other is a USB extension lead.
You have to disconnect the fibre optic cable on the MOST ring with the light coming out of the CDC and connect this to a plug that goes into the module. I couldn't photograph this without removing it again. You also need a power source (non-switched +12v and ground - you can tap into the cd changer's or the amp's power supply. Full instructions are here: http://support.dension.com/downloads...2007.06.25.pdf The E60 diagram applies to the E90 too.
As long as you're confident tapping into a cable for power it's OK to install. Otherwise it would take a HiFi installer about 20 - 30 mins.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: When I installed it I followed the E60/E61 instructions. The new installation manual http://support.dension.com/downloads...2007.06.25.pdf has instructions for the E90 and says that it is the input fibre optic cable to the CDC that should be used (i.e. opposite to the E60 instructions I used.) This may explain why when my USB hard drive had insufficient power to spin up the CDC came back online. I can't be bothered to reverse it now but will do so if any other problem emerges.

FURTHER UPDATE
I have tried the new E90 instructions but these do not work for me - the CDC stays online constantly. I have reverted to the E60 instructions. Shanmand, however, had the opposite experience. I suspect that there are hardware and possibly software differences which depend upon the build date of the car. I would therefore recommend trying it both ways - the cables can be reversed easily.
Has any one got this connected to the bog standard BMW Professional radio?
Appreciate 0