E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Speaker upgrades

11-11-2007, 08:28 PM   #1
italiano1980
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325I (E90)

Speaker upgrades

I am new to this site and had a few question if someone can help me out. I want to improve the sound in my car with the least amount of work and money possible. I have a 2006 325i (e90) with the standard professional audio system. First, I'd like to upgrade the speakers in the doors and rear panels. I wanted to get these speakers:

http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/p...=US&Region=USA

I know that the higher the sensitivity of a speaker, the more efficient, and the less power they need to sound good. These are the most efficient speakers i can find.

I guess my questions are: (1) will I will be able to play music at louder volumes without distortion; (2) will there be a worth while improvement in sound quality; and (3) do they fit?

Thanks everyone...really appreciate the help.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 10:46 PM   #2
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
the most difficult problem is finding speakers that fit in the factory mounts as bmw uses non-standard speaker sizes. I have found 2 companies here in Japan, but have yet to approach them. one i approach them, i'll post the story.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 08:15 AM   #3
italiano1980
Enlisted Member
Rep

In this post:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86780

the guy says that the mounting depth is 50mm which is like 1.9". The infinities seem to have a 1.8" mounting depth. Is it the diameter that is a problem?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 08:30 AM   #4
gloster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i MT, sport

Bavarian Audio's speaker replacement set is supposed to be coming out soon. It is made to directly swap with the factory speakers.

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/index.php
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 09:02 AM   #5
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiano1980 View Post
In this post:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86780

the guy says that the mounting depth is 50mm which is like 1.9". The infinities seem to have a 1.8" mounting depth. Is it the diameter that is a problem?
There is NO problem using the INfinity Kappa 47.2i - they fit in perfectly. The speaker size should be 4" diameter, and mounting depth 50mm MAX.

Other speakes that fit - Focal 100KP Components (tweeters go in the mirror housing) --- DLS 8" 3-way Ultimate components (8" slim-line woofer under the seats - yes they fit..., 3" mid-range - need to make an adaptor ring from MDF, easy job... 1" tweeter in the mirror housing)

But the Infinity's are the cheapest acceptable-sounding speaker that fit in the doors.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 09:06 AM   #6
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post
the most difficult problem is finding speakers that fit in the factory mounts as bmw uses non-standard speaker sizes. I have found 2 companies here in Japan, but have yet to approach them. one i approach them, i'll post the story.
This is NOT true!! BMW uses STANDARD speaker sizes, but only allows for a shallow mounting depth! The tweeters are 1" in diameter.. the midrange units must be 4" in diameter, but with a maximum depth of 50mm, and the bass units depend on the standard sound system of the car - if it is the basic basic setup as in the UK, then it's a 6.5" unit. If it's the Pro Hi-Fi it's an 8" unit. But both woofers can only have maximum mounting depth of approximately 3" - which rules out virtually all commercially available drivers other than things like the DLS 8" Woofer unit from the 3-way Ultimate component set (which you can buy as a spare part for around $450 a pair).

If you want to upgrade the bass units and don't want to mess about with modifying slightly the standard enclosure, then order replacement Logic 7 bass units from BMW directly - will cost around $700 but will drop straight in. Feed them off a good external amp and you should get very good bass, as the Logic 7 drivers are actually pretty good, but let down seriously by a bad amp.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 09:14 AM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
This is NOT true!! BMW uses STANDARD speaker sizes, but only allows for a shallow mounting depth! The tweeters are 1" in diameter.. the midrange units must be 4" in diameter, but with a maximum depth of 50mm, and the bass units depend on the standard sound system of the car - if it is the basic basic setup as in the UK, then it's a 6.5" unit. If it's the Pro Hi-Fi it's an 8" unit. But both woofers can only have maximum mounting depth of approximately 3" - which rules out virtually all commercially available drivers other than things like the DLS 8" Woofer unit from the 3-way Ultimate component set (which you can buy as a spare part for around $450 a pair).

If you want to upgrade the bass units and don't want to mess about with modifying slightly the standard enclosure, then order replacement Logic 7 bass units from BMW directly - will cost around $700 but will drop straight in. Feed them off a good external amp and you should get very good bass, as the Logic 7 drivers are actually pretty good, but let down seriously by a bad amp.
The Earthquake SWS-8 8" sub are drop in in the OEM sub enclosure... they also come in 6.5" (SWS-6).
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 09:20 AM   #8
italiano1980
Enlisted Member
Rep

I just got off the phone with a guy at crutchfield.com and he told me the infinity 4" kappas won't fit because the tweeter is too high. Has anyone actually installed these in their car?

Yes, i know about the bavariansoundwerks set coming out soon, but they want over $600 for their set. If i bought the inifinty speakers, two sets would be well under $300. Trying to keep it very low budget.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 09:31 AM   #9
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The Earthquake SWS-8 8" sub are drop in in the OEM sub enclosure... they also come in 6.5" (SWS-6).
That's true too. And a lot of people have been getting good results from them.

However I'm not using them because I don't like the way they respond higher up the fequency range where I'm crossing over into the Focal 4" mids... using the DLS 8" woofer/midbass unit instead..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 09:33 AM   #10
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
I just got off the phone with a guy at crutchfield.com and he told me the infinity 4" kappas won't fit because the tweeter is too high. Has anyone actually installed these in their car?

Yes, i know about the bavariansoundwerks set coming out soon, but they want over $600 for their set. If i bought the inifinty speakers, two sets would be well under $300. Trying to keep it very low budget.
Try these instead...

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=2911

Low budget, component, they fit, very efficient...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 09:36 AM   #11
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I know one guy who has managed to fit the Infinity's in... I'll ask him how he got round the clearance issue of the tweeter (if there is an issue, then you can either use the standard Infinity grilles, or mount the BMW grill on a black-leather/covered MDF step ring to bring the grille a few millitres away from the door card. Either way it's not a big problem.

Another 4" Co-axial to try is the MB Quart Discus DKG110, which definitely DO fit...

Incidentally, if you were to consider component speakers:

Focal 100KP
MB Quart PVF210
MB Quart RUA210 (ultra-shallow mount)

should be some others, but haven't got the list in front of me
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 06:02 PM   #12
nhhiep
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw

I upgraded the exact Infinity speakers for my rears. However,the high is not high enough for me, so I replaced it with a Polk 4" and it sounds better, plus, I also added a 1" Polk tweeter at the OEM spot. had them in || to get 2ohms. I didn't want to take the door out to replace the fronts. I am using stock amp and it does sound much better now for sure because we have 2 identical 325s in our house and you can really tell the difference. totally, it costs me around 150 bucks at circuitcity. Very cheap upgrade. they sometimes have buy 1 , get 1 half off sale.

For installation of the Infinity, you have to break one of the legs to make it fit. for the Polk BD, you have to bend one of the legs. At the end, they will fit fine into the OEM slot, at least for the rears
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 10:24 AM   #13
Lane
Several N54 cars, V1,3, V2.0.2, and V3.1
Rep
Drives: N54s

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
That's true too. And a lot of people have been getting good results from them.

However I'm not using them because I don't like the way they respond higher up the fequency range where I'm crossing over into the Focal 4" mids... using the DLS 8" woofer/midbass unit instead..
How does DLS and SWS differ in how they respond higher up in the frequency range? And how does Focal match them respectively?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 09:15 PM   #14
sageashton
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, Manual

I have the infinity's in my car and they fit just fine. I have them in the front door and rear deck and it's just fine, not fit issues. I also bought them from crutchfield. If you want a good cheap mod, run them off the factory amp and then put a seperate amp in and run that amp to the subs. If you go all out, you could get a 4 channel amp and then a mono or two channel for the subs. One warning: I would not replace the factory tweeters with the infinity kappa 1". They are piercingly loud when you use the passive XO supplied and well then require a EQ to iron them out...
Appreciate 0