E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Blown Top Radiator Hose in the worse spot!

01-31-2018, 08:39 PM   #1
rgfinn76
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sport Coupe

Blown Top Radiator Hose in the worse spot!

So figured I'd share this horror story, the other day the top radiator hose blow a flap on the top of the hose under the air intake duct. As a result coolant as splashed the entire engine bay and made a mess everywhere.

I get the hose repaired and cleaned up as much antifreeze as possible until this weekend so I can detail the engine bay. WELL today I'm driving home and get in garage and a crazy burning smell and smoke along with a whine, which I gather to be the alternator. Smoke is coming from the alternator and the voltage in MHD while the car is running is 11.7v.

So I assume the alternator being the same location of the blow hose got a good amount of antifreeze inside and messed it up!!!

So a simple $50 hose replacement turns into 10x that!!! So any feedback for replacing the alternator? Im reading you have to take off the oil filter cooler housing and intake manifold... is this correct? There goes my weekend!!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 12:39 PM   #2
Salzamani
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90 Sport Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgfinn76 View Post
So figured I'd share this horror story, the other day the top radiator hose blow a flap on the top of the hose under the air intake duct. As a result coolant as splashed the entire engine bay and made a mess everywhere.

I get the hose repaired and cleaned up as much antifreeze as possible until this weekend so I can detail the engine bay. WELL today I'm driving home and get in garage and a crazy burning smell and smoke along with a whine, which I gather to be the alternator. Smoke is coming from the alternator and the voltage in MHD while the car is running is 11.7v.

So I assume the alternator being the same location of the blow hose got a good amount of antifreeze inside and messed it up!!!

So a simple $50 hose replacement turns into 10x that!!! So any feedback for replacing the alternator? Im reading you have to take off the oil filter cooler housing and intake manifold... is this correct? There goes my weekend!!
Same exact thing happen to me. Only 80k miles on original alternator.

I see people with topical alternator issues try to replace the regulator either as a preventive or an effort to prolong the life of the alternator and in some cases as a repair but our issue is from coolant...

The bearing seems to spin fine and it’s not noisy either.

Does anyone know if an alternator is damaged from coolant splashed on it and some coolant getting inside the front side of the alternator whether it is likely to be a simple repair or it’s best to replace completely?
Attached Images

Last edited by Salzamani; 06-23-2020 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0