E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Some wiring diagrams for the members

09-24-2023, 01:14 PM   #111
Dark Vader
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E60, 2002 E46 Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Have you looked into which years this schematic covers?
Around 2005 and 2006 they had a distributed system like this
in the Logic 7 cars and then it changed to the same one the
across all series .

You should go to the e60 stereo forum.
The schematic doesn’t say what years it covers, but all the components match… and I took a photo of the amp in its location… unfortunately I got the BS split system…

Do you have a link to that forum? The one I posted in (from this site) is not getting any responses
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 04:16 PM   #112
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

You are going to have to do your own research to find 5 series info.
That link I put in the last entry is a 5 series board.
Also since that system was built by Technic(the one in the link) of Technicpnp.com I would suggest trying
to get in touch with him since he has seen all the BMW systems across
all the Series for the last 20 years or so.

This is in the no good deed goes unpunished area now
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 06:32 AM   #113
Dark Vader
Rep

Quote:
Also since that system was built by Technic(the one in the link) of Technicpnp.com I would suggest trying

I was reading this on my phone and didn’t see the link you posted in the last response …(it didn’t show)

I’ll take a look

Thanks!! 😁

Last edited by Dark Vader; 09-25-2023 at 06:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 06:51 AM   #114
Dark Vader
Rep

Quote:

That link is perfect… they are discussing the exact stereo setup I have and solutions for it!!

Awesome!

The thread is old (like my car) but I’m going to read through it and chime in… hopefully there’s still someone alive over there… lol

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 08:20 PM   #115
Podunk
Rep
Drives: 335I E90

Hey i was wondering, where does the Auxiliary USB port in the center console get its power from? cause the USB plug has no power and was wodnering what fuse provides the power to it, or if it get's power directly from the Head Unit. as all my other features are working.

tested the USB by plugging in phone and noticing no charging, so then tested with a USB LED strip that was working plugged into a USB A port and no light.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 08:44 PM   #116
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

As far as I know to have the center console usb active you have to have
the 6FL option that requires a Mulf 2 hi or Combox module in the trunk behind
the US rear passenger seat under the floor of the trunk in a non convertible .

I don't believe it is fused. The Mulf2 Hi or Combox may be fuse though.

You bought it used you need to find out what it came with .
Use mdecoder.com
Then check for module in trunk.

Last edited by ctuna; 04-07-2024 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 12:42 PM   #117
Podunk
Rep

S609 Navigation System Professional
S620 Voice Control
S639 Preparation F Mobile Phone Cpl. USA/CDN
S645 BMW US Radio
S655 Satellite Tuner
S677 HiFi System Professional DSP
S694 Provisions For BMW 6 CD Changer
S6AA BMW TeleServices
S6AB Control, Teleservices
S6FL USB/Audio Interface
S6UH Traffic Information

yes it has the 6FL code.

i figured there would be a fuse, as most i see with USB down also have the aux in port down as well, but my Aux in 3.5mm jack port works fine.

would be nice to have an accessible wiring diagram ( thanks BMW AG for being a prick) so i can at least see precisely what colors go to the USB port so i can circuit test for opens or shorts, and know which pins specifcally are set aside for it on the MULF.

the car does not have the COMBOX upgrade, it's the standard telematics/mulf/satellite/idrive, with the harman becker L7 optical amp.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 05:29 PM   #118
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

There are pin-outs for the Mulf 2 Hi online.
And the retrofit threads cover this to.
If you have IstaD for diagnostics (highly recommended)
it has the pin outs and wiring diagram's to.
Ista D is like having a shop manual with guided troubleshooting
for just about everything and schematics and illustrations to.

If you just do search for Mulf 2 Hi BMW on the open web
a lot of stuff will show up .

https://www.m3post.com/forums/attach...0&d=1673628175

The usb has it's own Fakra connector.

This above has the pinouts for the Mulf 2 hi and combox.

Last edited by ctuna; 04-09-2024 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 03:03 PM   #119
Podunk
Rep

Man i've tried to find a link for ISTA, and it seems everyone with access is charging now. Bimmergeeks had their mega access removed, and NewTIS was hit by BMW AG cease and desist.

and thanks for the link. appreciate the assist.

Last edited by Podunk; 04-10-2024 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 05:20 PM   #120
BRG_N54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Green '07 & Arctic '08 335i's

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podunk View Post
Hey i was wondering, where does the Auxiliary USB port in the center console get its power from? cause the USB plug has no power and was wodnering what fuse provides the power to it, or if it get's power directly from the Head Unit. as all my other features are working.

tested the USB by plugging in phone and noticing no charging, so then tested with a USB LED strip that was working plugged into a USB A port and no light.
The console USB is connected directly to the COMBOX. It is for data only and will not charge a phone or power any USB accessories. I have heard of a USB hub that comes in some cars that may be able to provide charging power, but not much regardless, maybe 500mA of current.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 10:28 PM   #121
Podunk
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG_N54 View Post
The console USB is connected directly to the COMBOX. It is for data only and will not charge a phone or power any USB accessories. I have heard of a USB hub that comes in some cars that may be able to provide charging power, but not much regardless, maybe 500mA of current.
I think you're thinking of the CCC setup, where as mine is CIC, there is a telematics and the MULF, also the USB should provide some power, otherwise the Bovee BT adapters people are using to avoid the expense of converting to COMBOX wouldn't work, as they get power from the USB port. in addition, anything plugged into my console USB doesn't work or show up on the iDrive display, so my USB box according the the combox conversion may be toast from the look of things, as i have no codes for a failed MULF, and my MOST fiber all works. or it is unhooked somewhere, and i don't feel like ripping it apart ATM, or removing the rear seat backrests cause mine doesn't have fold downs. so it will be a future project, i was hoping it was something simple, like a fuse.

but then again i should have known it would have an intermediary as USB is a 5 volt plug on PC's so any USB accessory would only function with a 5 volt reference, and cars are 12 volts, so a bit of a derp oversight on my part. as of right now i'm putting this on the "to do" list, but it's kind of at the bottom as i am using the accessory outlet with a USB converter to power the BT adapter for aux, and charge my phone. ( yay workarounds!) and getting factory suspension back on it is top priority right now.
Appreciate 1
BRG_N54296.50
      04-11-2024, 11:22 AM   #122
BRG_N54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Green '07 & Arctic '08 335i's

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I think you're thinking of the CCC setup, where as mine is CIC, there is a telematics and the MULF
This would apply regardless of TCU/MULF or COMBOX. It's the 6FL option that adds USB to the armrest. I just converted two cars to CIC from CCC and one had the 6FL option. All that was required on that car was to move the pre-wired USB FAKRA cable from the MULF to the COMBOX. The car without required running the one cable from the trunk to the armrest, for this purpose. Post conversion, with all functions working normally, neither car will charge my phone when plugged into the armrest USB, because that USB lacks current.

Quote:
also the USB should provide some power, otherwise the Bovee BT adapters people are using to avoid the expense of converting to COMBOX wouldn't work, as they get power from the USB port.
Yes, that's the 500mA I mentioned, enough to power something, but not provide charging current. Voltage and current are two different electrical animals.

Quote:
in addition, anything plugged into my console USB doesn't work or show up on the iDrive display, so my USB box according the the combox conversion may be toast from the look of things
I would check either the COMBOX, cables or coding, any one, or all of those, could be at fault. COMBOX has to be the BN2000 version not the BN2010 model. It is also re-pinned to the 26 pin connector from the two TCU/MULF plugs, which could have gone awry. Or if using adapter cable the adapter may be bad.

Quote:
but then again i should have known it would have an intermediary as USB is a 5 volt plug on PC's so any USB accessory would only function with a 5 volt reference, and cars are 12 volts, so a bit of a derp oversight on my part.
TTL is 5V, so there is lots of regulation and conditioning from 12V to 5V going on all over a modern car. The COMBOX is responsible for providing the 5V to the USB port, so provided it's all coded and wired correctly, could be a bad COMBOX. Again, the cable from the trunk to the armrest provides the connection, but does not have the 1.5A you will get from a computer or port designed to charge a smartphone.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 07:22 PM   #123
Podunk
Rep

I think there is something getting lost in communication, i have not converted to combox, and probably won't be anytime soon, as getting to the MULF is a major PITA when the seats don't fold down, so i'm still on MULF/Telematics, instead of All in One COMBOX

As for coding, i used Bimmergeeks protools when i replaced the L7 DSP TOP Hifi Digital media amplifier, and verified the codes for 6FL are present, and pretty much ran down the list for coding just to make sure i hit the amp, cause i wasn't positive which part of the system it is, i am thinking M-ASK, but in all other instances that refers to the head unit not the amp, so i don't know. but at least I have sound where i didn't before.
Appreciate 0