E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Fuel Pump module issue?

11-08-2018, 03:45 AM   #1
BMW.Enthusiastic
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 Pre-LCI (2006)

Exclamation Fuel Pump module issue?

Hi guys,

I have a very strange issue and took me two weeks to find out exactly what's going on. Last night I figured it out what's happening but still don't know how to sort it and why it's doing that yet.

For the past 2 weeks, every time I put the key in ignition I faced a yellow steering lock and the car didn't start at all, but as soon as I put the ignition on, the wipers got mental, radio not turning on and the ABS on, steering lock disappeared. Last night, same thing happened, but I plugged DIS straight away to see what's the issue. When tried to see if started, just cranked but didn't start at all.

Apparently DIS said "Control unit cannot be detected" for the "EKPS Fuel-pump control. Asked me if I still want to enter it and clicked yes, carried on testing until got to the IHR Integrated heater control and again popped up "Other control unit variant detected". When it got to the CAN (the last module to test in DIS) it actually cut the connection. Straight after, the car started to work again, the fuel pump started, radio etc. and the car was fully operational again, however, the CAN re-issued the connection without doing anything and suddenly everything was connected again. After this DIS showed that under FRM module, 9CCF (Communication with LIN operator unit disturbed).

At the moment, the only way to be able to start the car is that, unlock the car and plug then key in then the steering lock shows up, remove key, get out of car and lock it, 5 mins later, unlock it, put the key back in ignition and it's working again. Next time, same thing again. Also, found out that, I tried it yesterday morning, the steering lock popped up, locked and went to work. Last evening came from work, tested and it was working on the first insert of the key, which leads me to believe the car didn't go into sleep mode again for the whole day. Now, when steering lock is on and then the wipers start mental, radio off and car doesn't start, makes sense, because the fuel pump doesn't start either. After 2 mins leaving the ignition on, the car comes back to life by itself and starts working again, all errors disappear and all good to go.

Has anyone any clue what is wrong with it, or what should I check?

I'd really appreciate any help. Thank you
Appreciate 0