E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Rough Noise Coming From Red Boost Hose Area

11-04-2018, 05:35 PM   #1
Pep423
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

The other day I noticed at about 3k rpm a sound that almost sounded like an exhaust rattle or leak but it's not noticeable below about 3k rpm. When I had the hood up while someone else throttled up, it sounded like it was coming from the turbo and red boost hose area.

The hose was fairly well covered in oil and when I had the IC out, the hose felt really loose, I could turn it easily.

Iv researched this problem but haven't come across anyone saying a symptom being this kind of noise but I would imagine there would be some kind of noise coming from there is the hose is that loose.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? BTW I already ordered the Forge hose.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 09:09 PM   #2
Pep423
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep423 View Post
The other day I noticed at about 3k rpm a sound that almost sounded like an exhaust rattle or leak but it's not noticeable below about 3k rpm. When I had the hood up while someone else throttled up, it sounded like it was coming from the turbo and red boost hose area.

The hose was fairly well covered in oil and when I had the IC out, the hose felt really loose, I could turn it easily.

Iv researched this problem but haven't come across anyone saying a symptom being this kind of noise but I would imagine there would be some kind of noise coming from there is the hose is that loose.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? BTW I already ordered the Forge hose.
I replaced the boost hose with the Forge piece but same noise is present so the car has been dropped off at the dealer.

Will update again after I hear back from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 09:49 PM   #3
Pep423
Private
Rep

Update
Beside the boost hose that I replaced, I had the dealer replace the crankshaft pulley and both belts but the noise remains. Dealer then took off the pulley and the noise goes away but is back with the pulley on.

They also inspected the oil filter but did not find any metal debris but said when they listen with a scope, they hear the noise from the crankcase.

Now they will ask the area BMW technical rep for insight because they can't figure it after 2 weeks.

Car only has 61k miles and hasn't had any oil pressure issues so I can't imagine it's related to a crank/rod/bearing etc.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 03:27 PM   #4
Owen81
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d, 17/22 TDI

They ran the engine with no crank pulley?
Have you replaced your belt tensioner?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 09:54 PM   #5
Pep423
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen81 View Post
They ran the engine with no crank pulley?
Have you replaced your belt tensioner?
Yeah, that's what they said, ran it without the pulley and noise is not present.

The tensioner has not been replaced.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 10:18 AM   #6
Pep423
Private
Rep

Just heard back from my SA.

According to him, the BMW area technical rep believes the issue is with the main bearing.

The dealer wants to replace the engine! Hilarious!

The noise is not that bad so I can't imagine the damage is severe enough to warrant an engine replacement.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 12:28 PM   #7
Owen81
Lieutenant
Rep

Hard to say exactly what the noise is, I know the tensioner can rattle pretty good if it has bit the dust but that seems pretty rare on this engine. Would be an easy test of just removing the belt and see if the noise persists and feeling for play in the pulleys. Might be worth taking it to an independent BMW mechanic for a second opinion.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 09:10 PM   #8
Pep423
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen81 View Post
Hard to say exactly what the noise is, I know the tensioner can rattle pretty good if it has bit the dust but that seems pretty rare on this engine. Would be an easy test of just removing the belt and see if the noise persists and feeling for play in the pulleys. Might be worth taking it to an independent BMW mechanic for a second opinion.
I'm going to try and take it in for a second opinion but probably not for another week. I just picked up the car tonight after after work. Sounds the same but it's definitely not down on power. Wouldn't power be down if there is something going with the crank and/or bearings? The dealer told me they didn't see anything metallics in the oil filter but i think I'll put some fresh oil in and check what the old oil looks like.

So frustrated. I really like this car but I'v had so many issues with it, all the common stuff with the 335d but this is a major kick in the balls.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 02:56 PM   #9
Pep423
Private
Rep

Oil pan was dropped and I'm being told by the shop that all bearings look good.

Next step is to remove the timing cover and check for stretched chain.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 08:40 AM   #10
RED-d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d Sport, Tuned

I was looking at a schematic of our engine. Do we have two timing chains?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 09:36 AM   #11
Pep423
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED-d View Post
I was looking at a schematic of our engine. Do we have two timing chains?
Looks like it. ECS has 2 for sale; main and a smaller lower chain.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 11:56 AM   #12
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

Yes, one chain from crank to hpfp. Another chain From hpfp to cam.

Without any belts on, is it noisy? I'm still confused ... If it was quiet without the pulley/no belts, it means that the noise is from something in the belt loops... Ac perhaps, or idler or alt or water pump ... Why didn't they check those instead of focus on the main bearing? Dumb dealer
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 02:17 PM   #13
Pep423
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
Yes, one chain from crank to hpfp. Another chain From hpfp to cam.

Without any belts on, is it noisy? I'm still confused ... If it was quiet without the pulley/no belts, it means that the noise is from something in the belt loops... Ac perhaps, or idler or alt or water pump ... Why didn't they check those instead of focus on the main bearing? Dumb dealer
The dealer said when they ran it without the harmonic balancer, there wasn't any noise leading them to believe the weight of the pulley was causing the issue inside the crankcase.

I had them change both belts so I would think they would have noticed if any pulley or tensioner was the cause.

According to them they heard the noise from the crankcase after listening with a stethoscope. They even asked the area BMW technical rep to check it out.

I should know by tomorrow the condition of the chain.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 09:43 PM   #14
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

The weight of the pulley shouldn't be what causes noise if it was a main bearing. Did they run it with the pulley and no belts attached? I still don't understand but these dealers will bs over and over because the sa is usually a salesman, not one who ever wrenched on a car.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 10:32 PM   #15
Owen81
Lieutenant
Rep

Ya its not making much sense to be honest, the pulley is balanced and shouldn't affect the crank if there are no belts attached. I would have started with the other bearings on the front of the engine as well as the tensioner.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #16
Pep423
Private
Rep

So the indy shop I have the car at is telling the first main bearing, closest to the harmonic balancer has spun. But he's not concerned about any block damage. Wouldn't there be serious damage with a spun main bearing?

Bearing cap is apparently also damaged but we can't find just the caps.

This is all after they replaced the timing chain which they said was stretched.

The shop is reputable and had a lot of good reviews for bmw work in the Chicago area.

I just don't know what to think of everything right now. Haven't had my car for 2 months between the dealer and this shop.

Help!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #17
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
So the indy shop I have the car at is telling the first main bearing, closest to the harmonic balancer has spun. But he's not concerned about any block damage. Wouldn't there be serious damage with a spun main bearing?

The shop is reputable and had a lot of good reviews for bmw work in the Chicago area.

I just don't know what to think of everything right now. Haven't had my car for 2 months between the dealer and this shop.

Help!
Speak with Brad Tourt at Aarodriguez corp or Matt Whitbread at Whitbread Performance. You may be better off replacing engine or parting out vs. trying to repair the motor.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 09:07 AM   #18
Pep423
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
Quote:

Help!
Speak with Brad Tourt at Aarodriguez corp or Matt Whitbread at Whitbread Performance. You may be better off replacing engine or parting out vs. trying to repair the motor.
I'm too deep in it now to go with the engine replacement route. Already had a new chain put on and did the carbon cleaning.

Here are the pics of the bearing and cap
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 09:10 AM   #19
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

depending on the damage.. if the rest of the motor is solid and the bad parts can be replaced then replacing the motor would be overkill. A spun bearing is not the end of the world for the motor.. they make bearings in all different sizes.
      01-16-2019, 09:24 AM   #20
Pep423
Private
Rep

FYI to all, I'm also posting about this in another related thread. Will probably just stick with that one from now.

UPDATED - Engine Swap - 335D Crankshaft Main Bearings and Bolts Question https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1491850
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 05:34 PM   #21
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335stoner View Post
depending on the damage.. if the rest of the motor is solid and the bad parts can be replaced then replacing the motor would be overkill. A spun bearing is not the end of the world for the motor.. they make bearings in all different sizes.
Yeah, well I responded under impression OP was tackling this at indy shop. There is a very possible scenario the block and crankshaft need to be addressed as well as bearings.
Appreciate 0