E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Warm start issue. 320i

02-02-2016, 01:38 PM   #1
Elliott19864
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 320i x drive

Warm start issue. 320i

Occasionally when I start the car when it's warm (or within a few hours of turning it off).

The car really struggles to start, I usually cancel the startup by pressing the stop/start button. Wait a split second and the car starts fine.

Looking through the history there is no mention of spark plugs being changed.

Car is a 2009 320i on 82k.

I now know these engines are pretty bad, but wondering if this is a common issue on these engines.

No other issues whilst driving, misfire wise etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 04:27 AM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
If your plugs have done 82K, get them changed. Poor starting could be the HPFP on the way out. Has yours been changed under warranty recall? Get your fault codes read.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 06:58 AM   #3
FHE92
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nothing interesting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
If your plugs have done 82K, get them changed. Poor starting could be the HPFP on the way out. Has yours been changed under warranty recall? Get your fault codes read.
Is the HPFP a problem on all E9X's?

Thought it was a 6-cylinder issue
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 09:45 AM   #4
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FHE92 View Post
Is the HPFP a problem on all E9X's?

Thought it was a 6-cylinder issue
TBH I don't know. Just know that long cranking is a classic failing fuel pump symptom.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 06:08 AM   #5
wrongmark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320i, F31 328i

Sorry to revive an older(er) thread, but I was (maybe still am) having the same problem with my 2011 LCI 320i. After much searcing online, I've not found a specific solution (although I'm not ruling out the fuel pump entirely). I recently did an oil, filters and spark plug change service myself (hoping the new plugs might solve it) but no difference.

I decided to try a coolant temp sensor replacement as the part is only about a tenner. The theory being that it is sending an inaccurate temperature causing the wrong fuel mix for starting in certain conditions (maybe this was the cause of the slightly fouled plugs that I replaced?).

I managed to change it last night without removing anything else (which I was quite pleased about) using a deep 22mm socket, a universal joint and a couple of extensions (quite fiddly). Topped up the coolant and followed the bleed procedure.

I'll feedback on whether it has solved it or not if this is helpful for anyone.

One question in case anyone can help, using my obd tool and the dash hidden menu I was getting readings of around 95-103degC coolant temp readings before the sensor change. I'm now only getting around 90-93degC. I have read that the engine runs to a couple of different temperatures depending on conditions etc. Do these sound about right? Was just worried if the bleed procedure had worked properly.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 06:57 AM   #6
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I assume you're not getting any fault codes?

Your temp readings are probably OK. As you said, the electric water pump is controlled by the ECU and fluctuates widely according to conditions. It's one reason why BMW dropped water temp gauges from the dashboard and replaced them with oil temp. Such wide variations in temperature would have drivers panicking!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 04:14 AM   #7
wrongmark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

You're correct, no fault codes at all. After a couple of days now, I've not had the hard starting problem. I guess time will tell...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 02:28 PM   #8
Terryk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 mineral grey N47 ed

interesting theory with the cooland temp sensor. thanks for the info. if things are sorted for the following weeks please let us know.
      02-24-2017, 11:58 AM   #9
wrongmark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry to revive an old(ish) thread, but I can report that I don't think the water coolant sensor fixed my long crank issue as I do still occasionally get this. It's very rare of late but it still happens maybe once or twice a month (daily use). I've decided not to worry about to be honest. The fuel pump hasn't failed yet anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 04:49 PM   #10
maxoutput
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 2005

Leaky injectors?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 04:47 AM   #11
antonds
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i E90 2009 Lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongmark View Post
Sorry to revive an old(ish) thread, but I can report that I don't think the water coolant sensor fixed my long crank issue as I do still occasionally get this. It's very rare of late but it still happens maybe once or twice a month (daily use). I've decided not to worry about to be honest. The fuel pump hasn't failed yet anyway.
Sorry to for pulling an old thread. Is you BMW still giving the hard start issue or is it all ok after the coolant temperature sensor replacement ?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 04:50 AM   #12
antonds
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott19864 View Post
Occasionally when I start the car when it's warm (or within a few hours of turning it off).

The car really struggles to start, I usually cancel the startup by pressing the stop/start button. Wait a split second and the car starts fine.

Looking through the history there is no mention of spark plugs being changed.

Car is a 2009 320i on 82k.

I now know these engines are pretty bad, but wondering if this is a common issue on these engines.

No other issues whilst driving, misfire wise etc.

I've got a bmw 320i e90 2009 Lci model that has an N42N engine. These engines are common for value steam seal leaks. I've replaces the value steams seals on my engine at 200,000km and the oil levels are stable between the service intervals.

It got a starting issue when the engine is warm. If I go for a drive which brings the car engine to the running temperature and if I leave the car on my driveway for 30minutes or more and then try to start the car, it'll hand crank the engine 3 or more and then start the engine. But if I start the car the next day morning it'll start one but the ideal will fluctuate on cold start when it's trying to hold up the engine rev at high and it stays still after the engine is warmed up and if I break in red light while the car is on D, after few seconds the rmp goes up by 100revs and gives a small jerk.

The other wired thing is if i leave the car without a start for a 1 whole day and start the next day. It'll start and the engine will stall.

to provide a background of the car, I've put new solenoids. Brand new bosh spark plugs and ignition coils. Both the oxygen sensors are new.

My car does this rpm function on cold start as well.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 06:57 AM   #13
Glenncairns
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 320I M Sport

Rough idle and stalling on cold starts

My car does same. If its been sitting all night it stalls at junctions and stop signs and roundabouts. Basically anyhere I slow down. If i let it tick over for 5 mins its fine. Replaced timing chain and guides, vanos unit, solinoids and intake and exhast sensors. On computer its still coming up as faulty camshaft sensor? Any ideas? 2007 320i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #14
antonds
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenncairns View Post
My car does same. If its been sitting all night it stalls at junctions and stop signs and roundabouts. Basically anyhere I slow down. If i let it tick over for 5 mins its fine. Replaced timing chain and guides, vanos unit, solinoids and intake and exhast sensors. On computer its still coming up as faulty camshaft sensor? Any ideas? 2007 320i M Sport
I've been trying my level.best to figure out this problem and I gave up. I did spend so much. Changing air intake sensors and Coolant temperature sensors as they have mentioned on the other forums. Kindly keep me posted if you do find a solution.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 03:15 AM   #15
wrongmark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonds View Post
Sorry to for pulling an old thread. Is you BMW still giving the hard start issue or is it all ok after the coolant temperature sensor replacement ?
No it didn't make any difference to mine. However, I've recently replaced two of the injectors and I've not noticed the issue since. Think it was an early warning sign of the leaking injector. Eventually the injector was leaking badly enough to cause all sorts of running issues for the first 10 mins or so.
Appreciate 0