E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > MMI install into CIC car with audio problems

09-02-2023, 04:08 AM   #1
jo5hm
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330D Lci M Sport

MMI install into CIC car with audio problems

Good Morning All,

Looking for some assistance with an MMI install i have just carried out.

Carplay and everything is working lovely, switching between the idrive system and mmi system works absolutely fine.

The problem is with the audio.

Car is a CIC from factory car with baseline audio

Audio through aux works absolutely fine when the android loom is not connected.

Upon connection of the quadlock loom inbetween the standard BMW loom and the "headunit" i loose all quality out of the "Aux" port from the Idrive side of the car. I loose the vocals and alot of depth out the music its almost as if someone has dropped the speak in a toilet.

When using the MMI box and playing spotify i noticed that i do not actually require the aux lead to be connected to anything to get the output through the speakers is this correct? and also similar poor audio.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what the issues could be?

I have looked into the quadlock loom that is supplied for the MMI unit and noticed that on the input side (bmw car loom side) there is nothing for the aux port to be transferred across from, yet on the side that then connects to the headunit there is a wires coming out of it?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 02:06 AM   #2
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

On base stereo systems that don't have the MULF (Bluetooth/USB(Although later headunits had Bluetooth and USB built in)), the AUX input goes directly to the quadlock connector as a direct feed. On the systems with a MULF then this AUX feed goes to the MULF and then this, combined with the Bluetooth and USB feeds, go to the headunit via the fibre optic MOST line.
Thus, if you don't have this MULF then your AUX is a direct feed. Then as you fit the MMI Quadlock loom there is this same direct feed being used, that has the fly-lead for the AUX lead and plug attached to it as well so it can be used in all instances. So if you are having issues when plugging in the AUX, and it'll work without plugging it in, then leave it out.

I hope that makes sense?

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0