E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > ~DIY: $130 Rear View Camera with OEM integration (vendors will hate me)~

06-25-2021, 11:48 AM   #1365
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 320D M Sport

I've had this setup, as per the original post, for a number of years now. Although generally the camera shows up on my CIC most of the time when in reverse, now and again I occasionally get a black screen. Overall, given I've had to replace the camera once afte ra couple of years when the original developed a fault, it's definitely been a worthwhile mod.

What is starting to bug me though is all the K-CAN errors that constantly show up when scanning the car for fault/error codes. Nearly every module on the car has K-CAN errors showing up, which are a direct result of this emulator spewing out unnecessary garbage on the CANBUS. Remove the emulator and run the car for a couple of days, zero K-CAN errors. As soon as the emulator is back in again and the reverse camera is used for the first time, all the K-CAN errors come back. Probably have to switch to a more expensive emulator to overcome this...
Appreciate 1
Mike K322.00
      07-18-2021, 07:46 PM   #1366
VickyK
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Garage List
2011 BMW 325i  [0.00]
After procrastinating for almost a year, got a chance to troubleshoot the retrofit. Just didn't have power to the cam. Tapped from fusebox and works like a charm now. Thanks OP for this DIY
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 09:28 PM   #1367
In54ne.e90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyK View Post
After procrastinating for almost a year, got a chance to troubleshoot the retrofit. Just didn't have power to the cam. Tapped from fusebox and works like a charm now. Thanks OP for this DIY
Does this work for an 07?
      07-19-2021, 01:15 AM   #1368
VickyK
Private
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by In54ne.e90 View Post
Does this work for an 07?
Im no expert, but i believe as long as you have PDC in your 07, you can get it to work
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 05:55 AM   #1369
scroller
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Hi , i dont have combox , but i had CIC professional navi retrofit. Can someone give me emulator that works , because a lot of comments from ebay/ali says that the emulators are death before even putting in the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 06:44 AM   #1370
VickyK
Private
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scroller View Post
Hi , i dont have combox , but i had CIC professional navi retrofit. Can someone give me emulator that works , because a lot of comments from ebay/ali says that the emulators are death before even putting in the car.
I purchased this one from Ebay and works well.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RVC-PNP-Emulator-Activate-Open-Rear-View-Camera-For-BMW-E9x-E91-E92-CIC-HOST-EU-/274181573619?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46 890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 06:56 AM   #1371
scroller
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thanks you for the answear , i read on the third page that if you had retrofit the CIC navi maybe you have issues makkan00. My car is 2007 december but i upgrade it from the small CCC to CIC professional. So someone done this retrofit?I had oem park distance sensors.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 12:23 PM   #1372
Hellrzr96
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Conv

Rotary Rasp - i want to get this setup. i was wondering if you can help me with the coding also i need to know if this would work with me, i found this in ebay
I have bmw 2007 e93
https://www.ebay.com/itm/27285126975...oAAOSw2FxZvrdV

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 04:18 AM   #1373
bmw-extreme
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90

Yes boys. I've read the thread from the first post to the last one. So, I couldn't find a clear answer. I'm still wondering. Someone tells us it coded the r-cam with the standard cic navigation retrofit emulator. Some says no possible such thing. In other forums, someone says the updated emulators currently being sold are the same. So the only difference is rca socket and white cable provided with emulator. So, you may easily obtain them. Let's make it clear. Is it really possible or not? If so, its just a sales trick.

Last edited by bmw-extreme; 08-22-2021 at 04:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 04:57 AM   #1374
VickyK
Private
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-extreme View Post
Yes boys. I've read the thread from the first post to the last one. So, I couldn't find a clear answer. I'm still wondering. Someone tells us it coded the r-cam with the standard cic navigation retrofit emulator. Some says no possible such thing. In other forums, someone says the updated emulators currently being sold are the same. So the only difference is rca socket and white cable provided with emulator. So, you may easily obtain them. Let's make it clear. Is it really possible or not? If so, its just a sales trick.
Im not sure what you are implying. But if you are asking if there is a difference between the emulator sold by itself and the one sold with the wiring harness... its the same thing. Those who opt for the harness just choose not splice the original car harness. Functionality wise, its the same.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 05:23 AM   #1375
bmw-extreme
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90

I am implying that emulators sold for rear camera activation and others sold for navigation activation are the same in reality. Well I don't claim that. So, someone says that he was able to activate rear cam by using its emulator for navigation activation. (not ancient ones, he means current emulators sold by chinese aliexpress or ebay)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 05:31 PM   #1376
priebe3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Successfully got my backup camera working after encountering a coding issue that halted my progress for a month

I purchased a camera from amazon and the standalone AutoFocusTech emulator from ebay but then ended up buying a wiring harness extension so I didn't have to splice into the OEM one.

The installation went smoothly until it came time to do the coding. While attempting to code the CIC, I discovered that the option for PDC_DIRECTION didn't exist. I coded everything else numerous times but the backup camera didn't work.

This issue was eventually solved by getting an i-level software upgrade (all modules including CIC) for $300 at my local dealer. Since it's a 2009 car, it must've had a very early CIC software version that lacked the PDC_DIRECTION option. After bringing the CIC up to version C1A, the option for PDC_DIRECTION appeared and after coding, the backup camera worked perfectly.

I have a 6MT with parking sensors and the camera switches on quickly when going into reverse and switches off instantly when shifting back into neutral. Plus nothing beats OEM integration. Overall very happy with the mod even though it was a bit of hassle to get working.
Appreciate 1
TiAgAu150.00
      10-06-2021, 01:24 AM   #1377
dmz_m3
///M Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 ZCP

Just did this again on my second E92 M3 and it went without a hitch. Completed the install and coding in just a few hours and it worked perfectly. Used the seller autofocustech on ebay for the emulator & harness and backup camera. This is by far the most useful mod that you can do for this car (that is, if you're terrible at reverse parking like me)
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2021, 11:09 PM   #1378
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Right way to test the camera?

EDIT: NVM, found the reason...

I got 2 trunk handle cameras from various sellers [1], but none of them worked in my car [2][3].

Not sure what else to do, I got another generic camera [4], that comes with a monitor, hoping to test the cameras, but none of them worked with the generic monitor [5].

Then I got 2 more trunk handle cameras from different sellers, thinking that if I had connected the previous ones wrongly in the car, the old cameras might have burnt out. But, the new trunk handle cameras did not work with the generic monitor either [6]. I tried them in the car regardless, and they didn't work either.

The way I connected them is the same as the generic camera:

Camera CVBS male connected to CVBS female
CVBS female has a red and black pig tail, and RCA; connected to 12V and ground, and monitor RCA resp.

Running out of ideas. I know from reading and searching this thread that many of you have tested the camera outside the car, but I didn't see any mention of similar problems... I think the problem with the generic monitor might be very different from the problem in the car, but I'd like to make sure the cameras actually work first!

[1] each with members saying it worked for them
[2] coded everything, emulator works and reverse screen with PDC comes up but camera screen is blank - used pins 21 and 24 and set RVC_CIC to wert_23 (tested all the different wert values, in some cases I see some noise but never any real picture, distorted or otherwise).
[3] Tested harness pins, RCA pins. Did not test emulator power (I still connected to the red pig tail with the RCA cable, but I connected the power cables on the other end of the RCA to the tail light anyways.
[4] non handle style - bolts to license plate
[5] generic camera shows up ok, so the monitor is working
[6] each came with slightly different CVBS to RCA+power connector, tried mixing and matching, no combo worked

Last edited by dylim; 12-01-2021 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 11:16 AM   #1379
holtreed
Rep
Drives: BMW 2012 E93 335i convertible

Garage List
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005301

Way cool
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 05:58 AM   #1380
Jakg
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d

Been having a frustrating intermittent error.

It worked for ages, but stopped - specifically, when shifting to reverse the parking sensors audibly were working, but the screen never entered the parking sensor / camera mode, it was like the CIC display had no idea i was in reverse. Same situation if I press the button.

I disconnected the emulator from it's hardness and reconnected it - works fine.

I put a cable tie around the connector to ensure it stayed seated in case that was the problem, but a couple of days later it happened again. Disconnect/reconnect and it works fine.

I don't think it's a connection issue, I think it's the emulator? Any ideas?

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 07:11 AM   #1381
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post

It worked for ages, but stopped - specifically, when shifting to reverse the parking sensors audibly were working, but the screen never entered the parking sensor / camera mode, it was like the CIC display had no idea i was in reverse. Same situation if I press the button.

I put a cable tie around the connector to ensure it stayed seated in case that was the problem, but a couple of days later it happened again. Disconnect/reconnect and it works fine.

That's no good mate.

Did you splice in emu to oem harness or use adaptor?

For the video in (yellow cable) the 2 pins look to be seated in back of cic unit good?

Maybe the rev cam isn't getting 12v correctly? I think power come out from the emulators white wire? I'd test it at the boot end aswell while it's not showing up a display.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 10:46 AM   #1382
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyK View Post
Im no expert, but i believe as long as you have PDC in your 07, you can get it to work
You don't need rear PDC to make this work...
      04-13-2022, 10:59 AM   #1383
Jakg
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovernUrMental View Post
Did you splice in emu to oem harness or use adaptor?
Spliced the wiring
Quote:
Originally Posted by GovernUrMental View Post
For the video in (yellow cable) the 2 pins look to be seated in back of cic unit good?

Maybe the rev cam isn't getting 12v correctly? I think power come out from the emulators white wire? I'd test it at the boot end aswell while it's not showing up a display.
Yes, but I don't think this is the issue - when they aren't connected, but the unit is working, then it still shows the PDC / reverse camera display - it's just a blank video feed.

When the unit isn't working, you get no display of anything.

Also when I first wired it up I had everything connected but the camera power and I got a display with a blank video feed.

So I think it must be something related to CANBUS / emulator that's preventing it from switching modes rather than the camera / video feed itself.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 09:32 PM   #1384
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Spliced the wiring
Yes, but I don't think this is the issue - when they aren't connected, but the unit is working, then it still shows the PDC / reverse camera display - it's just a blank video feed.

When the unit isn't working, you get no display of anything.

Also when I first wired it up I had everything connected but the camera power and I got a display with a blank video feed.

So I think it must be something related to CANBUS / emulator that's preventing it from switching modes rather than the camera / video feed itself.
Yep splicing it in directly is the best way. I'd still confirm that you can get 12v to the camera.

Other than that, just recheck the 2 CAN wires where you tapped them in.

Last edited by TiAgAu; 04-14-2022 at 12:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 08:24 AM   #1385
Jakg
Private
Rep

Quote:

Any other ideas on this? I've even bought a new emulator but am having the same problem

In addition to reconnecting the unit and it starting working, if I disconnect the battery and reconnect it starts working too.
So it looks like it just needs a periodic reset and it's fine.

But this happens every week, and that isn't right, and didn't used to be like that.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 02:13 AM   #1386
VickyK
Private
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Any other ideas on this? I've even bought a new emulator but am having the same problem

In addition to reconnecting the unit and it starting working, if I disconnect the battery and reconnect it starts working too.
So it looks like it just needs a periodic reset and it's fine.

But this happens every week, and that isn't right, and didn't used to be like that.
I'd say if it worked before and now it's not, i don't think its the wiring. I have heard these emulators cause errors on the canbus. Perhaps a heaps of error has accumulated for the CIC that now it doesnt even popup the screen when you press the pdc button.
Not sure if this can help, why don't you scan errors for CIC, clear them with INPA and see if that runs fine after that?
Appreciate 0