E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > questions about power inverter

02-27-2010, 02:06 AM   #1
///Mik3
gonna miss the M, but the wagon is sweet!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Wagon

Garage List
questions about power inverter

So i'm considering getting a power inverter for the car, so i can plug things such as a laptop, or camera battery charger, etc etc. I don't know a ton about them, so i was hoping you guys could help.

Ideally i'd like to hardwire it directly to the battery so that i cant take full advantage of the inverters output. Also, i'd like to have it tucked away where it's not visible, and maybe run an extension cord to the middle of the vehicle, to somewhere where the cord can be tucked away and pulled out when i need to plug something in.

So my questions are:

1. Would it be safe to mount it in a small covered area such as the compartment on the left side of the trunk (i have an e91 wagon) where things like the sirius receiver normally go? Will that pose any issues w/ heat or anything?

2. Since i kinda want to have it hidden away, is it safe to have it constantly connected to the car's battery, and always have the power switch on the inverter switched to on? Will this cause any problems of battery drain? Any weird noises or whines i'll have to put up w/? Or should they be turned off when not in use?

3. For the extension cord running to the middle of the cabin somewhere, can i just use like a normal household extension cord, like the type w/ the 3 sockets on the end? Or is there something made specifically for this type of application?
      02-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
1. If the inverter is made for mobile applications I don't see why it would cause a problem being hidden anywhere in the car. I doubt heat will be an issue.

2. I wouldn't have it on constantly. I would wire in a switch of some sort or install it so I could easily disconnect it when not in use. Make sure the ground point is good. (Touching bare metal, not paint)

3. Any old household extension cable will work with the inverter. Just make sure the insulation is good quality. The constant flex and vibration in a car can easily tear through the insulation so make sure you carefully route the cable so it is avoiding any sharp contact points.

I am also interested in this. Post a review when you're done. I'd like to see the end result. Just some useful info. I wanted to do this in another car of mine but didn't ever go through with it. I remember there was a faceplate I wanted to use that had an AC style plug on it so I could just mount it in the car. I don't remember where I saw it but I know it exists. This might be a better solution than running an extension cable. Good luck with the install hope everything goes smoothly.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

I keep a small 400w inverter tucked under the floor panel in the trunk. I bring it into the cabin when needed to power whatever. A hardwired solution would be cool however I don't know where you would hide the extension cord. Not alot of places to coil it up in a coupe, maybe you will have better luck with the wagon

Good luck with your project, curious to see what you come up with
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
wareagle900
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

I would be extremely wary of heat. those little buggers get real hot sometimes! especially on all the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
///Mik3
gonna miss the M, but the wagon is sweet!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle900 View Post
I would be extremely wary of heat. those little buggers get real hot sometimes! especially on all the time.
Do they constantly give heat, even if there isn't anything plug in to them drawing power?
      03-03-2010, 09:45 AM   #6
Menno11
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 320d

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
If you do hardwire the inverter, it would be wise to use a relay, so you can switch the inverter on and off. I had a 500W inverter in my old Opel for when we went camping for the fridge, works a charm! I just had crocodile clamps that connected to the battery as it was never a permanent connection. The inverter does draw a current if left on and generates a small amount of heat. The heat becomes significant only when you draw big current though. The inverter should have a on/off switch on the body if you are not going to use it for long periods of time.
Appreciate 0